Analysts predict in-game ads will increase

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
In-game ads made headlines last year when President Obama advertised his presidential campaign in Burnout Paradise. While driving along the street, you could see billboards adorned with Obama?s face.

burnout-paradise-ss-71.jpg

With print, TV, and Internet advertising suffering from lower rates and fewer sales, one might think that ads in video games would decline as well. According to financial analysts at Citigroup, however, there's a good chance this will not be the case.

site_prototype-ss-69.jpg

Speaking to Gamasutra, Citigroup has found many that ?advertisers' appetite for in-game marketing appears to be increasing.? The current market for in-game ads is $600 million USD, and Citigroup believes that that market might increase to $1 billion within the next five years.

The price to make games increases, but the price of retail games generally remain stagnant. For this reason, game companies are highly enticed by using ads in their games. Many gamers, on the other hand, dislike real world ads intruding on their gaming experience. Regardless of what we think, business is business and advertisers and game developers need solutions. It doesn't look like game ads are disappearing anytime soon
________

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL crazy pic ... they had some in FC2 and have had them in baseball for a long time ... dont know if they were getting paid for it but for realism they had them.

I never minded advertisment in games, or movies for that matter.

The only place ads shouldn't be is when I'm trying to watch a 2 min clip on the internet and I gotta sit through a 30 sec spot. If we need comercials on the interent make the 10 seconds max.

I never minded advertisment in games, or movies for that matter.

The only place ads shouldn't be is when I'm trying to watch a 2 min clip on the internet and I gotta sit through a 30 sec spot. If we need comercials on the interent make the 10 seconds max.
you must hate gametrailers then 20 second ads all the time.