[CANCELLED] Annihilation (Blu-ray SteelBook) (FilmArena Collection) [Czech Republic]

Would you be interested in a steelbook release?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2017
Release date: TBA
Purchase link: TBA
Price: TBA

ANNIHILATION is currently under review and if steelbook preparation is started, we will try to join. But no specific information is available yet. We have intensified our efforts, however, due to the fact that in February the annual exclusivity of Netflix will end. **NO CZECH Subtitles on current disc**

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellow Z9D owner!
DV over Netflix is pretty hit and miss. (Hill house looked AWFUL and dark - no biggie though since the show sucked anyway...)
:rofl:
Do yourself a favor and get the 4K Matrix disc....The Matrix is reference level stuninng in DV on the Z9D.

:woot: Wassup fellow Z9 owner, feels great to still own one of Sony’s Flagship TV aye :joy: Yeah have to agree Netflix is pretty hit and miss in DV but thankfully there’s Altered Carbon which gives physical disk a good running for its money. Got a fair few DV discs already but waiting for the Black Friday Sale so I can stock up, so thanks for the tip about The Matrix :thumbs:

Reactions: C.C. 95
Can the steelbook improve the AWFUL acting in this trainwreck?!!
(HINT: Things that go straight to Netflix do so for a reason- see Cloverfield Paradox)

Cloverfield Paradox was sent to Netflix in part because Paramount/Bad Robot/JJ Abrams signed a Cloverfield franchise deal with Netflix but mainly because new Paramount management was again getting rid of all movies on the shelf as quick and *cheap* as possible, and Netflix was paying big for worldwide distribution ($50m? More than it probably would've made theatrically) and the surprise of it being announced at the Superbowl then available to stream mere hours later was just the kind of gimmick the Cloverfield franchise would abuse.

A lot of Paramount's movies, even those not released on Netflix, suffered because of all this. They didn't even put any effort into promoting their awards fare. Poor Matt Damon.

For US buyers the regular 4K bestbuy exclusive looks like it will only be $15 this black friday, possibly even tomorrow if the sale starts early online. Hard to justify paying $40+ for steels without the 4K discs in them.

I was really hoping for a steelbook for this but it concerns me that it's at FA. :dunno:

For US buyers the regular 4K bestbuy exclusive looks like it will only be $15 this black friday, possibly even tomorrow if the sale starts early online. Hard to justify paying $40+ for steels without the 4K discs in them.

It's no longer a BB exclusive so the edition on sale for BF will be a wider released 4K.

:woot: Wassup fellow Z9 owner, feels great to still own one of Sony’s Flagship TV aye :joy: Yeah have to agree Netflix is pretty hit and miss in DV but thankfully there’s Altered Carbon which gives physical disk a good running for its money. Got a fair few DV discs already but waiting for the Black Friday Sale so I can stock up, so thanks for the tip about The Matrix :thumbs:
I still smile everyday about my TV! Best TV I have ever owned! Yes, there are some awesome 4K discs out there for your Z!
(And some great 3D discs too! The 3D kills it too, because of the Z9D's upconversion!)
Odds are Altered Carbon wil be even better on 4K disc - even as good as it looks on Netflix, they still apply a lot of compression to the Audio and Video streams. (I am sure the physical media will triple the bitrate).
Here's list DV discs:
https://www.nextgenhometheater.com/dolby-vision-uhd-blu-ray-movies/

I still smile everyday about my TV! Best TV I have ever owned! Yes, there are some awesome 4K discs out there for your Z!
(And some great 3D discs too! The 3D kills it too, because of the Z9D's upconversion!)
Odds are Altered Carbon wil be even better on 4K disc - even as good as it looks on Netflix, they still apply a lot of compression to the Audio and Video streams. (I am sure the physical media will triple the bitrate).
Here's list DV discs:
https://www.nextgenhometheater.com/dolby-vision-uhd-blu-ray-movies/

100 of these for above :thanks: as the Big Z still dominates as an all rounder and light cannon :joy: thanks for the list mate as I’ve been working off BR’s. Gotta play catch up with some more DV discs as I’ve only entered this awesome hobby of steelbook collecting since Feb this year so a lot of my time and money has been invested in getting back catalogue Steelbook releases along with staying up to date with the upcoming GB’s / Direct preorders.

For anyone going for this release if it eventuates and you have a Dolby Vision setup I hope there is a 4K Disc Option available as it looked amazing even on Netflix with my DV setup especially towards the end.

Reactions: C.C. 95
100 of these for above :thanks: as the Big Z still dominates as an all rounder and light cannon :joy: thanks for the list mate as I’ve been working off BR’s. Gotta play catch up with some more DV discs as I’ve only entered this awesome hobby of steelbook collecting since Feb this year so a lot of my time and money has been invested in getting back catalogue Steelbook releases along with staying up to date with the upcoming GB’s / Direct preorders.

For anyone going for this release if it eventuates and you have a Dolby Vision setup I hope there is a 4K Disc Option available as it looked amazing even on Netflix with my DV setup especially towards the end.
The Z9D Light canon:LOL: - abso-freakin'-lutely!!
No TV out there touches the Nits on the Z!
My eyes burst into flames whenever there is a commercial with an all white background!! And I LOVE IT!!:rofl:
And I have said it before - I will take the Pepsi challenge any day of the week with the Z9D black levels vs. OLED.:thumbs:
BEST TV out there - bar none. I would have gone for the 100" if the price didn't jump from $9k for the 75" to $50k for the 100"!

• Thanks
Reactions: willbar84
The Z9D Light canon:LOL: - abso-freakin'-lutely!!
No TV out there touches the Nits on the Z!
My eyes burst into flames whenever there is a commercial with an all white background!! And I LOVE IT!!:rofl:
And I have said it before - I will take the Pepsi challenge any day of the week with the Z9D black levels vs. OLED.:thumbs:
BEST TV out there - bar none. I would have gone for the 100" if the price didn't jump from $9k for the 75" to $50k for the 100"!

Sent you a PM so we don’t clog this thread up.

I’ll want this if Manta won’t do a WEA. FAC hire a private jet to ship to New Zealand. At least, that’s what the shipping costs reflect.

• Haha
Reactions: IRON MAN
lol at comment regarding things that go straight to Netflix = crap. A lot of Netflix original/produced movies have been crap, but that's quickly changing (look at 'Roma', 'Ballad of Buster Scruggs', etc.). "Annihilation" arriving to Netflix internationally was both a general Paramount management situation (as Vangeli mentioned) and a specific incident regarding producers Rudin (Social Network, Lady Bird) and Ellison (Geostorm) clashing over creative/marketing differences. I'm glad Rudin defended and stood by Garland's cut and we ended up with the daring film that was released.

Annihilation also didn't just go straight to Netflix. It had a limited theatrical release in the States, and it was awesome watching this film on the big screen.

It's also interesting seeing all the comments saying how "boring" it was...like I'm all for different opinions on films I enjoy, but what's the point in going into a possible release thread to crap on a film and a steelbook one isn't even interested in? That seems better suited for the "HDN ratings/films I watched for the week" thread.

Last edited:
What's the point in going into a possible release thread to crap on a film and a steelbook one isn't even interested in? That seems better suited for the "HDN ratings/films I watched for the week" thread.
Why, because all opinions count, good or bad. It actually helps motivate or dissuade others on whether or not to get this (possible) steelbook, besides, a little cross talk from the "HDN ratings/films I watched for the week" thread isn't that bad. Now if it completely derails the thread we may ask some of those folks to move the talk to the appropriate thread.

Why, because all opinions count, good or bad. It actually helps motivate or dissuade others on whether or not to get this (possible) steelbook, besides, a little cross talk from the "HDN ratings/films I watched for the week" thread isn't that bad. Now if it completely derails the thread we may ask some of those folks to move the talk to the appropriate thread.

Never said anything about whether a bad or good opinion counts or the value of either (again, I said "I'm all for different opinions..."). I'm speaking more about how it's typically assumed that said steelbook release would involve most users having seen the film already (and made up their mind of if they liked or disliked it) since most folks don't just 'blind buy' these kind of often pricey releases. The "motivation" or "dissuasion" that I think is more appropriate to these threads is usually commenting on the quality of the steelbook itself - whether users think spot-gloss or embossing makes it worth getting over other vendor's release of the same film for instance.

I agree with the main takeaway of your last statement though. Apologies if I was coming off as too abrasive - it's true that it's easier to comment and have a back and forth about a specific film in its release thread rather than it being conglomerated and mixed with other movie takes in the more general threads.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Lone Crusader
Status
Not open for further replies.