Anyone here use Hulu Plus?

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
How do you personally access it? Do you like it? The price has just been dropped, and I am seriously thinking of getting rid of our underused and bloated Cable service. We just don't watch it enough,and tend to DVR only certain shows.

Thanks for your thoughts-
DB

Last edited:
I know that it can only be used on 1 PS3. So if you have one PS3 in the living room and one in the bedroom you can't watch Hulu+ on both of them... Even with the same log-in info... That killed it for me.

I hear that netflix just got a pretty good streaming only service and you can use that on all your PS3s, xboxes, wiis, iPhones, and iPads without limitation on amount of devices. You can only watch it on 2 at a time though.

Engadget has also been saying that both services might be dropping even farther in price, but IDK. There was talks of $5 hulu, then they just did this price drop, so IDK if it'll drop again anytime soon..

But some people were getting refunds when the Hulu priced dropped for being early adopters.

Hey Jex-yeah, the issue is Netflix is good for "back" eps and older content (though they've gotten a bit better in adding more content, sooner, with new contracts, etc). But Hulu Plus seems to fill that "in between" void, where you can sign up for season's passes,etc, like a DVR. I don't want TV on the computer, so we'd want it to stream to TV. Roku looks cool with its 1080p capability added recently.

Good to know on the one log in-I guess if we wanted to catch up on a current show, we should just do it in the bedroom, since that is where the PS3 is.

I am still evaluating-just a little tired of all of the craptastic channels we don't use. And I understand why they are included, and that audiences exist for all kinds of content-it's just completely underutilized for us, but no better alternative (not interested in FIOS or Dish, which may be cheaper with promos,but again negates our need to get more "a'la carte") seemed to exist until now.

I know the Cable providers are trying to combat the likes of Netflix and Hulu-but unless they follow suit with more varied options, I may fly the coop, LOL.

DB

Tony, haha-it's Cablevision. Truth is we never have had major service issues. The clarity of the HD content is very good in our area. The "value" overall is not bad, as we have all 3 services-phone, internet and cable.

However, we don't watch 90% of the channels, and have probably 1600+ BD's, TV shows, and Netflix in the house. So, we find ourselves wondering why we even have it. More and more it's useless. So when I heard about Hulu Plus, I thought I'd investigate. May not be for us afterall, but I am a woman who likes to investigate all options and choose the best, so what the heck:)

DB

Yeah. I know what you mean about Netflix... If Hulu were a bit cheaper i'd have both. There's a new service coming to the PSN called Vudu. It's a pay as you go type thing...

IDK if they'll have what you want, or if they'll offer season passes to the shows you want, but it may be worth looking into.

Hey Jex, yeah, I've heard of Vudu, too-seems a very interesting convergence is certainly underway. I hope we'll have a "jukebox" model soon, where we can choose from "all types" of content-current, past and new release material. I think we're closer than we've ever been-and personally I'd love if Amazon purchased Netflix (already discussed many times),and then Netflix/Amazon would be my solution, as Amazon already offers VOD and recent eps/new releases. But until then-we're in that "in between" stage. However, I also heard (and maybe even posted), that the cable companies will offer network DVR sometime soon, and something like 60,000+ on demand titles. But I'd like to see a model like Netflix (unllimited 1 price) has for current content. I know the licensing and jockeying for controlling the content is paramount in obstructing that, but one can hope. In the least, I am glad there are competitors, trying to meet the evergrowing need for viewers to watch just what they want, when they want, where they want....

Hey Jex, yeah, I've heard of Vudu, too-seems a very interesting convergence is certainly underway. I hope we'll have a "jukebox" model soon, where we can choose from "all types" of content-current, past and new release material. I think we're closer than we've ever been-and personally I'd love if Amazon purchased Netflix (already discussed many times),and then Netflix/Amazon would be my solution, as Amazon already offers VOD and recent eps/new releases. But until then-we're in that "in between" stage. However, I also heard (and maybe even posted), that the cable companies will offer network DVR sometime soon, and something like 60,000+ on demand titles. But I'd like to see a model like Netflix (unllimited 1 price) has for current content. I know the licensing and jockeying for controlling the content is paramount in obstructing that, but one can hope. In the least, I am glad there are competitors, trying to meet the evergrowing need for viewers to watch just what they want, when they want, where they want....

Yeah. That's really the issue. There can no longer be broad-stroking entertainment fields. The way technology is working VOD needs to be set up like Pandora... Everyone needs their own On-Demand channel where they can watch what they want, when they want for a single price.

We're getting there, but it's slow. lol.

But yeah. You could always do a month or so of Hulu+ and see what you thought.

Hey Jex-yes, absolutely. I am considering giving Hulu Plus a whirl-we'll see. And hopefully as more people do, we'll be able to get a good discussion going of what people like about all of the various options out there. I know there are comparison charts out there, but it's always nice to hear from actual users:)

Hey Jex-yes, absolutely. I am considering giving Hulu Plus a whirl-we'll see. And hopefully as more people do, we'll be able to get a good discussion going of what people like about all of the various options out there. I know there are comparison charts out there, but it's always nice to hear from actual users:)

For sure. Word of mouth is always the best way to judge a product.

Tony, haha-it's Cablevision. Truth is we never have had major service issues. The clarity of the HD content is very good in our area. The "value" overall is not bad, as we have all 3 services-phone, internet and cable.

However, we don't watch 90% of the channels, and have probably 1600+ BD's, TV shows, and Netflix in the house. So, we find ourselves wondering why we even have it. More and more it's useless. So when I heard about Hulu Plus, I thought I'd investigate. May not be for us afterall, but I am a woman who likes to investigate all options and choose the best, so what the heck:)

DB

Alright I was waiting to hear all the Comcast bashing...The content owners play a big role (especially the prime content) and it will be difficult to get to the end point were a lot of folks want to be.

hi,
ok, giving my .02 Cents. lol

my youngest daughter ditched cable over 3 years ago. strictly streams now from her pc which i built her. she does netflix, i dont know about hulu. but she now waits until the next day after an episode of whatever she regularly watches, or goes to the appropiate web, such as NBC, CBS or ABC and watches them there. She hooked up her computer to the TV and she is saving tons.
i also read that over 80,000 people cancled their cable and are streaming off the web. cant really blame them.
My Samsung tv has Vudu app, but i have netflix, which works better off of PS3 than pc or my tv, or my blu ray player.
i rent and Cable and HBO comes with my rent, so not bad for me lol.
i answered this post because i am a Hulu Plus member, but i hardly use it, been working so much overtime dont have enuff time lol.
i would never get the all in one DB, it is cheaper just to get a landline and get a no frills package, pay maybe 15-25 a month, even Vonage is cheaper i think.
but ,to each their own
if you have a cell phone, why do the all in one?
anyways, laterzz lol

Hey Burnt, thank you! Yes, many people are getting tired of paying for channels they never watch. For us it's less about the cost, and more about the fact that we're paying for something that is completely underutilized. As far as the phone-all 3 services cost less than just two, when we signed up at this house (and we've had Cable for 10 5-6 years or so) with different carriers). But I can count on one hand the times I use the house phone, so that may be next to get the axe, LOL. One of the reasons we always chose to have a house phone, was because we had (years ago) dead spots with cell reception, and in case anything ever happened, we wanted to be able to call 911, or other important numbers:)

i just cancelled cable. but i don't see myself using hulu plus. still not worth it to me

btw, boxee rocks

I am under contract with directv until 2012, but once that is up I will be cancelling service. I don't have any problems with it, but like DB, it's just underutilized and I see no reason to pay $85 a month for something I only use occasionally. I have a HTPC hooked up in my living room and use it to stream netflix/hulu and watch BD's more than I watch stuff on the satellite.

I am under contract with directv until 2012, but once that is up I will be cancelling service. I don't have any problems with it, but like DB, it's just underutilized and I see no reason to pay $85 a month for something I only use occasionally. I have a HTPC hooked up in my living room and use it to stream netflix/hulu and watch BD's more than I watch stuff on the satellite.

sounds like you should pay the cancellation fee and be done with it then