Apfelwein

Illiciter

Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2009
Howdy Ninjas, long time no see, eh?

I've been working on creating a new yeast strain for hard cider. I've gone through about 5 generations so far starting with a dry and tart Lavlin EC-1118 yeast and also pitted it against the Cider House Select cider yeast. I'm using not-from-concentrate apple juice and have been getting consistent final gravities of 0.998 which I backsweeten with two cans of frozen apple cherry juice concentrate. This brings the kegged gravity to ~1.010 or so. The last generation has kept the green apple bite on the first sip but then mellows out as you sip into an almost ridiculously smooth beverage that gets you into trouble. I've clocked the ABV at 5.1-5.2% depending on the batch.

Anyways... have been seeing the Ninja notifications and felt like checking in on everyone. Glad to see good people still being good.

Anyone else brewing still?

-Alpha

Really nice to see your post bud. Made me smile when I saw it on the Ninja board. Always cool to see the originals pop in every once in a while even if just for a quick holler.

Reactions: Illiciter
5generationincludinga long time... youwill definitelyattractall
o.png

Really nice to see your post bud. Made me smile when I saw it on the Ninja board. Always cool to see the originals pop in every once in a while even if just for a quick holler.

Well ya know, life's been hectic. I'm glad to see this place has kept going and upgraded! Woot!