Apocalypse Now: Final Cut - 40th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 16, 2019
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-orders live June 5 Wednesday 12 noon UK time )
Price: £31.99
Notes: 6 Discs - Gloss Finish - Region Free

12180852-1154695786230931.jpg

12180852-7014695786326247.jpg 12180852-3594695785953725.jpg 12180852-1634695786401454.jpg

Last edited:
Also adding to those going on Tuesday to see this new cut in the cinema, except as I mentioned before going to the large IMAX screen in London!!
Never seen it before, and have avoided all trailers for this new release, so honestly, not really sure what I'm in store for, all I know is I'm very excited - Read up a little on the Vietnam war so hopefully should have a little context for what's going on at the very least :p

Just curious - given the length of the film - any intermissions built in to that showing?
The websites don't seem to mention any sort of intermission, but have started saying it includes a Q+A, so no idea what that involves!! I did notice the 3 hour runtime when booking so am certainly going to be glad I booked premier seating :naughty:

Never had the chance to see this on the big screen, would be very interesting.

Just curious - given the length of the film - any intermissions built in to that showing?
do if you can. :thumbs: i was lucky enough to see this and 2001 in 70mm on what was the largest screen in London at the time. :woot: mind. blown. :wow: but anywhere will be good to see this again in a cinema, rather than on tv. (& no intermissions back then.)

actually, reading my post above, i also remembered that the print showing was an original theatrical release 70mm. at the end of the film... ok, just in case there still are people out there who haven't seen it... :rolleyes:

at the end of the film, after Willard kills Kurtz, he gets back on the boat, it slowly sails off, the screen fades to black, you hear Kurtz say 'the horror, the horror' again, then... nothing, a long wait, and the certificate page at the end, which was an 'X.' no credits, no flaming palm trees, no music, just the images in your head of the last 2 hours and those final words. really stayed with me.

not sure i've ever seen that version again (have i? :confused:).

i know they are not everyone's preferred seller, but after their 2001 release, i'd love to see what someone like WCL would do with this film.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: RedFridge007
actually, reading my post above, i also remembered that the print showing was an original theatrical release 70mm. at the end of the film... ok, just in case there still are people out there who haven't seen it... :rolleyes:

i know they are not everyone's preferred seller, but after their 2001 release, i'd love to see what someone like WCL would do with this film.

Think I missed the latest 70mm showing of 2001 in the big London IMAX recently so will look out for that next time, but thanks for the spoiler tag for those about 40 years behind everybody else :spoil::thumbs:

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Never had the chance to see this on the big screen, would be very interesting.

Going to see it next week. Love this film, cant wait toi see the 4K. Have it on order too.
Also adding to those going on Tuesday to see this new cut in the cinema, except as I mentioned before going to the large IMAX screen in London!!
Never seen it before, and have avoided all trailers for this new release, so honestly, not really sure what I'm in store for, all I know is I'm very excited - Read up a little on the Vietnam war so hopefully should have a little context for what's going on at the very least :p

The websites don't seem to mention any sort of intermission, but have started saying it includes a Q+A, so no idea what that involves!! I did notice the 3 hour runtime when booking so am certainly going to be glad I booked premier seating :naughty:
My local was isense(4K screen with Dolby sound) but the further afield local has an IMAX listing..but prefer the closer, not driving needed, leather recliner option.No idea on intermission but as other members mentioned there is a Q&A (even though the odeon doesn’t mention anything beyond the movie) so maybe there will be a breif break there?
I only live a 5 min walk from the cinema now so it can go on as long as it wants - 7pm start time and I usually don’t sleep until 1-2am anywho so fully prepared.

Only saw this once before, years back, and don’t recall much, but was lucky to see Saving Private Ryan and The Matrix via one off theatrical screenings lately so can’t wait(missed Goonies back in April sadly)

Am guessing this is a UK theatrical thing only then?
No US chains getting screenings?

Going to see this on Tuesday, very excited.

The showing is listed as nearly 4 hours with the recorded Q&A at the end, though I might not stick around for that since it'll be late enough at the end of the film.

"APOCALYPSE NOW: THE FINAL CUT - Q&A
The Final Cut of Apocalypse Now has a R/T of 183 mins. This is followed by a 10 minute interval and finished with a 45 minute recorded conversation between Steven Soderbergh and Francis Ford Coppola about this 2019 edit of the war film."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Epics from the past had respect for the audience by allowing them not just snack breaks but more importantly bathroom breaks with various music only sections including an overture, an 'entre-Acte, an intermission and finally the exit music ...
.... nowadays, despite the epic length of some movies including ENDGAME, intermissions seem to have gone the way of the dodo . . . not helped by comments from important directors like James Cameron who said, "I don't believe in intermissions because I've worked so hard as a filmmaker to capture an audience's hearts and minds. I don't want to let them leave the dramatic space I've crated for ten minutes so they can get more popcorn or go to the restroom. If they need a break, let them pick their own time to run to the lobby. If I do my job as a storyteller then no one will want to take a break, even after three hours. I told people 'There will be an intermission in this movie over my dead body".

Was there ever confirmation of whether the blu-ray discs will be region-locked? I'm assuming so, because it's Studio Canal.

Was there ever confirmation of whether the blu-ray discs will be region-locked? I'm assuming so, because it's Studio Canal.
That won't be known until someone get's delivery and tests discs

Previous release the discs was mix of Region A/B and Region B locked

This release though it's new discs so can't go by previous release

• Thanks
Reactions: ethnosax
4K+2D Blu-ray Collector's Edition (Limited Edition) for those not interested in the steelbook edition

12180851-1114695786135561.jpg

Reactions: PunkNinja
The Final Cut of Apocalypse Now has a R/T of 183 mins. This is followed by a 10 minute interval and finished with a 45 minute recorded conversation between Steven Soderbergh and Francis Ford Coppola about this 2019 edit of the war film."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Epics from the past had respect for the audience by allowing them not just snack breaks but more importantly bathroom breaks with various music only sections including an overture, an 'entre-Acte, an intermission and finally the exit music ...
.... nowadays, despite the epic length of some movies including ENDGAME, intermissions seem to have gone the way of the dodo . . . not helped by comments from important directors like James Cameron who said, "I don't believe in intermissions because I've worked so hard as a filmmaker to capture an audience's hearts and minds. I don't want to let them leave the dramatic space I've crated for ten minutes so they can get more popcorn or go to the restroom. If they need a break, let them pick their own time to run to the lobby. If I do my job as a storyteller then no one will want to take a break, even after three hours. I told people 'There will be an intermission in this movie over my dead body".

I predict people will walk out during the new terminator film and not return.

... and the regular Amaray with slip adding up to a great looking trio of collectable packaging:-
1565700391261.png
1565700419309.png
1565700448591.png

New release date for all = September 16, 2019.

Going to see this on Tuesday, very excited.

The showing is listed as nearly 4 hours with the recorded Q&A at the end, though I might not stick around for that since it'll be late enough at the end of the film.
Intermissions like this, am good for, even before the movie after the 30 mins of trailers and ads, but I despise breaks in a movie,
I want to watch that thing uninterrupted and didn’t pay goos money to be taken out of the moment....the don’t have intermissions in gigs and some of the bigger bansds run 2.5-3+ hours (foos and green day do 3hr sets fairly regular) so leave the stalling and pausing until you are at home not disturbing another’s run of the movie/gig

If we are pushing 4hrs + then maybe an intermission is understandable but anything under, Nah