Apocalypse Now: Final Cut - 40th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 16, 2019
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-orders live June 5 Wednesday 12 noon UK time )
Price: £31.99
Notes: 6 Discs - Gloss Finish - Region Free

12180852-1154695786230931.jpg

12180852-7014695786326247.jpg 12180852-3594695785953725.jpg 12180852-1634695786401454.jpg

Last edited:
Just got back. It was worth seeing it in the cinema for the sound alone. The sheer chaos of it all in some scenes was incredible, yet is was mixed so well that you could always hear the dialogue as much as you needed to.

The only disappointing thing was the cinema itself. The screen they put it on has one of it's emergency exits right next to the screen, so close that the sign was casting light onto the corner of the screen, and the projector seemed a little weak. I'm not sure what the correct term is, but even though I was only just off centre, the right side of the screen (I was on the left) seemed too dark, like looking at a DLP TV with a weak bulb.

And, I'm not sure if this is just how the film looks, or if it was the cinema, but some shots seemed a little out of focus, there were a few jumps as if frames had skipped, and some, ghosting in some parts where there was fast movement. Dennis Hoppers hands went blurry for a second. I haven't watched the blu ray for a while but I don't remember seeing anything like that before.

None of this spoiled the film or anything and it wasn't constant. I mostly thought it looked great especially in close ups, but there were brief times I felt like I was watching a DVD blown up to too big a screen.

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Just like Ashcroft also have just got back from this, still collecting my thoughts a little, but am most certainly blown away.
I did notice a few very grainy shots, but assumed that was down to trouble with restoring complex shots. Didn't notice any hitching or ghosting in my viewing, but that could've been down to being an incredible cinema, or down to being too immersed to notice.
Absolutely a cinema worthy film, those three hours went by so ridiculously quickly. No other words yet, I just know I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Just got back. It was worth seeing it in the cinema for the sound alone. The sheer chaos of it all in some scenes was incredible, yet is was mixed so well that you could always hear the dialogue as much as you needed to.

The only disappointing thing was the cinema itself. The screen they put it on has one of it's emergency exits right next to the screen, so close that the sign was casting light onto the corner of the screen, and the projector seemed a little weak. I'm not sure what the correct term is, but even though I was only just off centre, the right side of the screen (I was on the left) seemed too dark, like looking at a DLP TV with a weak bulb.

And, I'm not sure if this is just how the film looks, or if it was the cinema, but some shots seemed a little out of focus, there were a few jumps as if frames had skipped, and some, ghosting in some parts where there was fast movement. Dennis Hoppers hands went blurry for a second. I haven't watched the blu ray for a while but I don't remember seeing anything like that before.

None of this spoiled the film or anything and it wasn't constant. I mostly thought it looked great especially in close ups, but there were brief times I felt like I was watching a DVD blown up to too big a screen.
Just like Ashcroft also have just got back from this, still collecting my thoughts a little, but am most certainly blown away.
I did notice a few very grainy shots, but assumed that was down to trouble with restoring complex shots. Didn't notice any hitching or ghosting in my viewing, but that could've been down to being an incredible cinema, or down to being too immersed to notice.
Absolutely a cinema worthy film, those three hours went by so ridiculously quickly. No other words yet, I just know I thoroughly enjoyed it.
The screen I went to was fantastic - only a few blurry sections in certain shots which I assumed are on the print or due to slight degreation of the orignal film strip(its the 40th Anniversary release so its not going to look perfect),
But it did look damn impressive, a well done clean up job for its age.
Grain present but thats to be expected with age.

I will echo that the sound mix was fantasic. Intense during the landing and air strike scenes, almost too intense but completely immursive - added to the clusterfuck feel of the war / movie as a whole IMO.

Was worth going for the sound alone IMO (the one I saw was Dolby Atmos, 4k screen and first time it sounded as good if not better than IMAX screenings of other movies. It was just surround, we had 3d above and below sounds - fantastic)

Yes over blu.ray.com they have said there is a issue with the sound mix near the 2 hour mark this edition like the german may be put back to fix the issue.

Hi guys does anyone know if the uk 6 disc version also includes UHD download?

The US artwork shows digital download on front top but none of the UK artwork i have seen mentions digital download. I dont yet have a 4k player so keen to download UHD for now. Have a 4k TV and decent fibre connection..

Hi guys does anyone know if the uk 6 disc version also includes UHD download?

The US artwork shows digital download on front top but none of the UK artwork i have seen mentions digital download. I dont yet have a 4k player so keen to download UHD for now. Have a 4k TV and decent fibre connection..
@dinob
StudioCanal don't include digital copies with their releases

USA release is from Lionsgate if you want Digital copy you need to get USA Lionsgate release but that is not a steelbook it's a Digipack release
USA Digital Copy code is for customers based USA

I cancelled mine. never wanted to be a double dipper, but slowly finding myself triple dipping, first dvd, then Blu-ray, now alternate art/3d/4k.

ok, dvd- bluray can be worth it, since there is a substantial leap in quality. but finding it hard to justify 4k double dips for anything other than personal favourites.

@dinob
StudioCanal don't include digital copies with their releases

USA release is from Lionsgate if you want Digital copy you need to get USA Lionsgate release but that is not a steelbook it's a Digipack release
USA Digital Copy code is for customers based USA
Ok thank for the info. Thats not great re StudioCanal and no digital downloads.
Guess i will have to wait to see if Raukuten or Google might offer a UHD download on 16/09 or else may have to invest in a 4K player.

If I would buy USA version of physical copy and it has digital copy code, I would think that I'm allowed to use it. I've paid for it.

?

Price shows £39.99 not € ..
Ordering in Euros not affected
It has the save amount €10.00
RRP price €47.99
£31.99 = €37.99 (Zavvi £ to € conversion rate)
If Zavvi used correct £ to € price in Euros would be €35.99 but Zavvi not updated their conversion rates for a long time meaning Euro customers be overpaying for over a year

£ Sterling price is a mistake at the moment as it's missing the £8.00 save amount it's meant to be £31.99
£39.99 is RRP price

This error only has happened recently in past week price was £31.99 when it went live to pre order and was that price until the mistake on Zavvi website

Customers ordering using Euros not affected as they have correct price

Does not affect customers who have already pre ordered at £31.99