Atlantis: The Lost Empire (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Jan 19, 2017
Release date: October 8, 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order Live August 11 at 6 PM UK time)
Price: £18.99
Note: Number #40 in disney collection per Facebook page.

38735619_2031983320147504_2638461833714860032_n.jpg

38799354_2031983420147494_4684449644959236096_n.jpg
38749801_2031983510147485_4567116477076865024_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tono06
Yep you are correct. I couldn’t see the embossing as I hadn’t opened it.
You can feel it under the O-ring and the gold edged framing border is another vital clue.
The embossed "Disney" logo more difficult to feel if kept sealed particularly as 99% of Disney steelbooks with embossed titles do not have "Disney" embossed.

Full gloss?
In my personal opinion it's a "No". . . not full gloss more a gloss varnish (in between a zero and a full gloss). You just have to compare it to one of the early ones such as BAMBI to see the difference.

You can feel it under the O-ring and the gold edged framing border is another vital clue.
The embossed "Disney" logo more difficult to feel if kept sealed particularly as 99% of Disney steelbooks with embossed titles do not have "Disney" embossed.

In my personal opinion it's a "No". . . not full gloss more a gloss varnish (in between a zero and a full gloss). You just have to compare it to one of the early ones such as BAMBI to see the difference.
Correct
It’s not a gloss, but isn’t full matte finish either.
There’s a shine but it’s more metallic shine than any gloss or varnish effect in my opinion

Correct
It’s not a gloss, but isn’t full matte finish either.
There’s a shine but it’s more metallic shine than any gloss or varnish effect in my opinion

So, you're calling it a zero finish?
As noted previously I'm calling it a gloss varnish finish as there's more light reflection than with a zero finish but not as much as w/ full gloss - BAMBI for example:-

Four of the standard finishes:-
full gloss / glossy -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- gloss varnish (courtesy your mate above) ---------------------------------------
1539085942901.png
1539086554091.png

zero --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- matte ---------------------------------------------------------------
1539090885981.png
1539090937068.png

Last edited:
As noted previously I'm calling it a gloss varnish finish as there's more light reflection than with a zero finish but not as much as w/ full gloss - BAMBI for example:-

Four of the standard finishes:-
full gloss / glossy -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- gloss varnish (courtesy your mate above) ---------------------------------------
View attachment 396684View attachment 396686

zero --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- matte ---------------------------------------------------------------

Full gloss = glossy = gloss varnish. Light reflection is another thing !

Sorry, but they are not the same . . . and you may have noticed in the Steelbook.com listings that various steelbooks are listed as "Glossy" (full gloss) and others as "Gloss varnish" - i.e. not the same finish.
Apart from that, light reflection is a good indicator and is certainly different between the four most commonly used finishes.

It is CLEARLY glossy men....(even though some rare steelbooks shows even more gloss)
Men?
Excuse you, there are ladies here too! :p

As noted previously I'm calling it a gloss varnish finish as there's more light reflection than with a zero finish but not as much as w/ full gloss
If you re-read my post a bit more carefully you will see I referred to the ‘reflection’ as more metallic than gloss or varnish finish.

Full gloss, as any steelbook collector will tell you, does not need light manipulation(such as what you shown in your pictures prior) or reflection to show off its shine. It’s just there, in all it’s glaring beauty(when done right of course)

You’re free to call it what you will but am afraid you are still wrong and would be misleading other collectors in saying this is anything near a full gloss finish.
It’s more akin to a standard metallic finish/shine to be specific, to reiterate, it’s neither gloss or matte, but somewhere between.

But in steelbook collecting there are varying degrees of finish, such as there are many versions of embossing/debossing. Hence this is not a glossy steelbook.

Lights does reflect but as you say it’s not the same thing.
It’s merely a characteristic of chosen finish, IMO.

Last edited: