luke98

Premium Supporter
Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release Date: December 6, 2017
Purchase Link: JB Hi-Fi
Price: $19.98
232120-L-HI.jpg

How so very disappointing, the stranger things set BLOWS these out of the water. Just a modified VHS "Clamshell" that really makes me sad as I was really looking forward to these.
Just curious, how much was international shipping costing for all 10? These worked out to be 12 USD a piece which is an absolute bargain but if shipping was expensive then definitely not worth importing.

• Thanks
Reactions: elle82
They don’t look too bad for the price. I think the fact that the Stranger Things set looks so much better doesn’t help these.

Personally I agree the Stranger Things edition is nicer yes but these are the first VHS style editions JB's has done, so I think considering that, they arent bad. Possibly room for improvement though. Still hoping they release more in this packaging, like a whole range of horror. That would be awesome. @Mark Wilson you know what im saying dont you dude :D How sick would that be. :woot:

Personally I agree the Stranger Things edition is nicer yes but these are the first VHS style editions JB's has done, so I think considering that, they arent bad. Possibly room for improvement though. Still hoping they release more in this packaging, like a whole range of horror. That would be awesome. @Mark Wilson you know what im saying dont you dude :D How sick would that be. :woot:
I don't understand why people are comparing these to the Stranger Things edition and dissing them because they're not as good. They're much cheaper than the Stranger Things edition, much more limited, and from a completely different studio. They're two completely different releases. It's like comparing a bottle of cheap Jack against a 21yr old Johnnie Walker. They're both whiskey and they'll both get you pissed but they're two completely different things. People should see them for what they are - cheap and cheerful. Rant over. And yeah @elle82 horror ones would be epic! Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Texas Chainsaw... all would be amazing!

I don't understand why people are comparing these to the Stranger Things edition and dissing them because they're not as good. They're much cheaper than the Stranger Things edition, much more limited, and from a completely different studio. They're two completely different releases. It's like comparing a bottle of cheap Jack against a 21yr old Johnnie Walker. They're both whiskey and they'll both get you pissed but they're two completely different things. People should see them for what they are - cheap and cheerful. Rant over. And yeah @elle82 horror ones would be epic! Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Texas Chainsaw... all would be amazing!
Exactly. Theyre an awesome release despite the amount of hate going around about them.
Hell yes!! Really hoping they decide to release more!

• Thanks
Reactions: Mark Wilson
Just curious, how much was international shipping costing for all 10? These worked out to be 12 USD a piece which is an absolute bargain but if shipping was expensive then definitely not worth importing.
How did you get them for $12 a piece, at that price it is a bargain!

How did you get them for $12 a piece, at that price it is a bargain!
They were originally $19.99 AUD. From release date (Wednesday) through to today (Sunday) JB HiFi have had a 20% Off all blu ray Sale. That put them down to just $16.00 AUD each. $16.00 AUD is $12.01 USD with the current exchange rate. Baaaaargain.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
They were originally $19.99 AUD. From release date (Wednesday) through to today (Sunday) JB HiFi have had a 20% Off all blu ray Sale. That put them down to just $16.00 AUD each. $16.00 AUD is $12.01 USD with the current exchange rate. Baaaaargain.

I bought the Jaws one since im a sucker for Jaws. Typically what turns me away from AU releases is the big fat ratings logo .... AU should adapt what DE eventually did and just make it a sticker at least on the "collector editions" slips etc.

It is a novelty item because yes its not made as nice as Stranger Things .... but I think the best thing going for it honestly is the qty. Its cheap enough to make up for its lack of quality and its cool enough to want to import it. cost $22 shipped to USA.

However Mark we can't claim its cheaper then Stranger Things because perhaps at release sure but there was that one quick Black Friday sale that had the ST for $10

Tho all of this is just reflections of the territories they release in and the marketing behind it all. USA qty is HUUUUUUUUGE on special editions as to get the per unit cost down. The $10 price likely left little to no profit but it was a loss leader to get folks into Target to spend on other crap and Netflix and Stranger Things are really pushing the brand on the public at all costs as they then make more money off licensing and merch on other deals.

Its not uncommon for USA slips of holiday ones or promo ones to go OOP right after the promo and be hard to track down if a person collects that movie etc. These editions of AU not only will be no different but even harder to come by at a total unit of 1k ............ so while my Jaws wont be my best Jaws in my collection it'll still be an edition that would be hard as hell to track down a year or 2 from now. AU is typically expensive so for $22 all in ..... it was a no brainer given the circumstance.

That is a killer price! I don’t think anyone could complain at that price!:thumbs:

Thanks Wreck, that is a bargain price! I didn’t realise the AU dollar was that low. It’s a very good price shipped!:)

• Thanks
Reactions: Mark Wilson
That is a killer price! I don’t think anyone could complain at that price!:thumbs:

Thanks Wreck, that is a bargain price! I didn’t realise the AU dollar was that low. It’s a very good price shipped!:)
I was surprised too ... I mean i had heard the news in past couple years but I hadnt ordered from AU site in last couple years either. I remember when it used to be like damn near 1.5-2x dollar.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
I bought the Jaws one since im a sucker for Jaws. Typically what turns me away from AU releases is the big fat ratings logo .... AU should adapt what DE eventually did and just make it a sticker at least on the "collector editions" slips etc.

It is a novelty item because yes its not made as nice as Stranger Things .... but I think the best thing going for it honestly is the qty. Its cheap enough to make up for its lack of quality and its cool enough to want to import it. cost $22 shipped to USA.

However Mark we can't claim its cheaper then Stranger Things because perhaps at release sure but there was that one quick Black Friday sale that had the ST for $10

Tho all of this is just reflections of the territories they release in and the marketing behind it all. USA qty is HUUUUUUUUGE on special editions as to get the per unit cost down. The $10 price likely left little to no profit but it was a loss leader to get folks into Target to spend on other crap and Netflix and Stranger Things are really pushing the brand on the public at all costs as they then make more money off licensing and merch on other deals.

Its not uncommon for USA slips of holiday ones or promo ones to go OOP right after the promo and be hard to track down if a person collects that movie etc. These editions of AU not only will be no different but even harder to come by at a total unit of 1k ............ so while my Jaws wont be my best Jaws in my collection it'll still be an edition that would be hard as hell to track down a year or 2 from now. AU is typically expensive so for $22 all in ..... it was a no brainer given the circumstance.
Good choice @Wreck. You can never have too many copies of Jaws. $22 shipped is a great price. I paid 3 times that amount to get Stranger Things to me so these worked out much cheaper for me (on launch anyway). ST for $10.00 over Black Friday though... damn that's a steal. You're right in saying the limited quantities are the best thing going for these... I was in my local JB HiFi yesterday and they didn't have a single copy left. BTTF has disappeared off the website so I imagine it's the first to sell out completely. The others won't be too far behind I imagine.

I was surprised too ... I mean i had heard the news in past couple years but I hadnt ordered from AU site in last couple years either. I remember when it used to be like damn near 1.5-2x dollar.
Yeah last time I remember it being not too far of 2 dollars. I ordered the Tron Legacy Metalbox last time though so it’s going way back! Lol.

after shipping I think they were about 21 and change each. So almost the same price as the stranger things, they so could have done the same type. Such a missed opportunity, thank god I only got 3, 2 being gifts for someone. I'm just disappointed because I was really excited for them. Also if JB doesn't ship each one separately I'm going to be pissed! They charged 12 dollars shipping for each movie. If they all come in the same box I will definitely be complaining. As there is no way 3 movies, that are extremely lightweight by all accounts I have seen online, should cost anywhere close to 36 for shipping.

Last edited:
after shipping I think they were about 21 usd. So almost the same price as the stranger things, they so could have done the same type. Such a missed opportunity, thank god I only got 3, 2 being gifts for someone.
It's a shame you don't like them dude. I thought you'd be all over these being limited numbers. @elle82 and I love them but then we did pay less for ours. BTTF is already going on ebay for $45.00 AUD (nearly 3 times the price we paid). I dread to think how much they'll be in a year's time.

• Thanks
Reactions: elle82