Basic Instinct (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

nutcaseshy

Steelbook Addict
Premium Supporter
Mar 25, 2013
London
Release date: June 14, 2021 - July 18, 2022 (Reissue)
Purchase links: Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £24.99
Notes: 3 Discs (4K + BD + Bonus)

Basic Instinct.jpg
Basic back-front.jpg Basic inside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I never thought much of him as an actor, but recently realized that I really like "The Game" and LOVE "Wonder Boys", so he must be quite good actually!
The Game is one of my fave movies and certainly underrated. The arrow limited edition is amazing and till easily available. It’s like a doorstep with a massive hardback book in a thick board slip case. Super quality and you even get the CRS invitation card his brother gives him on his birthday.

Reactions: jumbojack
Rather unnecessarily given that UHD discs don't use region coding at all. At least it avoids any potential doubt, I guess.
agreed, but it's probably just for joe public who isn't aware. quite a few distributors do it I've noticed. a few European UHD have actually used region coding, despite it not being in the format specifications mind you, so go figure :confused:

Total Recall is region free.....
Fair enough, suppose you can't tell without trying the discs on an A/free player though. Wouldn't be the first time B or A has been put on discs intended for that region by default, regardless of whether they're actually coded or not.

Fair enough, suppose you can't tell without trying the discs on an A/free player though. Wouldn't be the first time B or A has been put on discs intended for that region by default, regardless of whether they're actually coded or not.

The Total Recall SteelBook was also released in the U.S. I believe when both continents get the same SteelBook then the discs are at least region A,B in both releases when it comes to Studiocanal and Arrow releases.

Personally I think the term "underrated" is thrown around too often when it isn't true.

Michael Douglas won an Academy Award for Best Actor for Wall Street so no, I don't think he's underrated.

The Game has a rating of 7.8 on IMDB and everybody I know raves about the movie so again I don't think it's underrated.

Reactions: djjez83 and Shark
Personally I think the term "underrated" is thrown around too often when it isn't true.

Michael Douglas won an Academy Award for Best Actor for Wall Street so no, I don't think he's underrated.

The Game has a rating of 7.8 on IMDB and everybody I know raves about the movie so again I don't think it's underrated.
When you think of the great actors of yesteryear, Micheal Douglas is a name not too often brought up. Yes, The Game has a 7.8 on IMDB, but a lot of people have not seen it. It was considered a box office disappointment. A great movie nonetheless.

The Total Recall SteelBook was also released in the U.S. I believe when both continents get the same SteelBook then the discs are at least region A,B in both releases when it comes to Studiocanal and Arrow releases.
That's not really the case, not in this instance anyway. The EU release was via Studiocanal and the US was via lionsgate. Both are notorious for locking their discs, just happens to be they weren't this time around.

The steelbooks are a little different as well. The EU one had a title on the front (debossed) and a tagline on the rear, whereas the US steel had no text on it what so ever and had a PET slip with this on instead.

That's not really the case, not in this instance anyway. The EU release was via Studiocanal and the US was via lionsgate. Both are notorious for locking their discs, just happens to be they weren't this time around.

The steelbooks are a little different as well. The EU one had a title on the front (debossed) and a tagline on the rear, whereas the US steel had no text on it what so ever and had a PET slip with this on instead.

Yes both Studiocanal and Lionsgate do lock their discs when only one of them is releasing a SteelBook. When they both release a SteelBook with the same art (still the same SteelBook whether there is a title or not or other minor differences) then they tend to be region free. The same goes with Arrow SteelBook releases. If it's only released in the UK it's "B" locked. If it's only released in the U.S. then it's "A" locked. If released in both countries then it tends to be region free.

Reactions: samdavies
It’s surprising how many people I have mentioned “The game“ to have either not seen it or think it’s run of the mill. By underrated I mean compared to his other movies or the directors other movies. It’s not shown the love it deserves.

I always regretted not picking up the first steel release, but kinda glad I didn't now as I much prefer this art!

Same artist who did the recent Leon steelbook design...

I'm kinda surprised by some of the negative reactions tbh. I genuinely think this is some fantastic artwork and the Steelbook design looks great! Like you I missed out on the earlier release but glad I did as I much prefer this version :thumbs:

It’s surprising how many people I have mentioned “The game“ to have either not seen it or think it’s run of the mill. By underrated I mean compared to his other movies or the directors other movies. It’s not shown the love it deserves.

I think the trouble with the the film The game is that some people just don't get it, or they get lost in it.
And that's why they say it's a run of the mill film!

Reactions: Retro Parrot
I think the trouble with the the film The game is that some people just don't get it, or they get lost in it.
I just think it’s a really great idea with some really memorable scenes like the TV news guy and the fake prop house. Michael Douglas was great in this. Hopefully they’ll do a 4K transfer at some point but that won’t happen before Fischer’s other movies, fight club and seven etc I expect. A perfect murder was a great Douglas thriller too. Whatever happened to that?

People who view "The Game" too harshly think it is not one of the better Fincher films (which is correct, it's not among his Top 5 easily), but most people think it is one of Michael Douglas' better films. I mean, come on, Basic Instinct is a stupid movie with 1 somewhat memorable performance in it and it is not the one by Michael Douglas....I always preferred Douglas in films where he is a bit of a loser like "Wonder Boys", "Falling Down" or "Solitary Man", whearas his hero roles like "Wall Street" or "Black Rain" where a bit over the top for me. Basic Instinct is a silly film with culture historic merit, because of Sharon Stones' performance, her legs and everything inbetween :angel:

Reactions: Kersey
People who view "The Game" too harshly think it is not one of the better Fincher films (which is correct, it's not among his Top 5 easily), but most people think it is one of Michael Douglas' better films. I mean, come on, Basic Instinct is a stupid movie with 1 somewhat memorable performance in it and it is not the one by Michael Douglas....I always preferred Douglas in films where he is a bit of a loser like "Wonder Boys", "Falling Down" or "Solitary Man", whearas his hero roles like "Wall Street" or "Black Rain" where a bit over the top for me. Basic Instinct is a silly film with culture historic merit, because of Sharon Stones' performance, her legs and everything inbetween :angel:
I always looked at Micheal Douglas as your quintessential 80s yuppie. He just has the look like he was born to play Gordan Gekko in Wall Street.

I'm kinda surprised by some of the negative reactions tbh. I genuinely think this is some fantastic artwork and the Steelbook design looks great! Like you I missed out on the earlier release but glad I did as I much prefer this version :thumbs:
I can understand why it's not to some people's taste tbh... like with those "Pop Art" steels. I'm personally a big fan of that style of art though and have been a follower of Flore's work for years, so always find it exciting when her work is used on an official steel release. :D

Reactions: Lord Vader