Batman (1989) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Titans of Cult Exclusive #9) [UK]

Feb 10, 2020
Release date: March 22, 2021
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - WB Shop - HMV - The Entertainment Store (eBay) (Pre-order on February 15)
Price: £29.99 (Zavvi - WB Shop - HMV - eBay) - £30.00 (Amazon)

148526315_504232367640287_1286063053989270317_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love how there’s been so much evidence thrown in here about what cult stands for and the type of films that can be cult Or have a cult following and people are still too stubborn (or too stupid?!?, I dunno which it is :coffee:) to not understand that a big blockbuster that made millions can still be a cult film. Even when they are providing googled examples of what the definition is, it’s still there written between the lines with words like typically (which implies that it don’t always have to be setting stone, niche, unpopular, but small fan club movie at the time etc etc)

Jesus Christ you guys are stupid arguing if Batman is cult classic. They have released titles such as wonder woman, Goodfellas and Mad Max ******* Fury Road. They are as much your typical cult classic as ******* Endgame is.

I think everyone now realises that ToC aren’t always going to release cult movies. But we can still laugh about their release choices that are the complete opposite (WW for example) and I’m pretty sure the argument/ debate is.... is batman a cult film? And not that ToC shouldn’t release it because it is or isn’t cult

Last edited:
Also the example with the big lebowski is odd. Whilst I agree it’s a cult film. Completely is. It’s had a huge fan base from day one but the description says ...
A film that has a passionate fan base despite lacking critical acclaim, box office success, and/or mainstream interest.

It didn’t lack in critical acclaim on its release, it was praised, it had box office success and within a year of its release a mainstream interest. And it’s still as huge today. Okay it never made Burton batman Money but it did very well for that type of film. From the get go.
So that contradicts its self with the description and example.

Reactions: Hereticz and MM3
Love how there’s been so much evidence thrown in here about what cult stands for and the type of films that can be cult Or have a cult following and people are still too stubborn (or too stupid?!?, I dunno which it is :coffee:) to not understand that a big blockbuster that made millions can still be a cult film. Even when they are providing googled examples of what the definition is, it’s still there written between the lines with words like typically (which implies that it don’t always have to be setting stone, niche, unpopular, but small fan club movie at the time etc etc)
The traditional definition of cult refers to a small, select group of people, like a cult religion as opposed to a mainstream religion, for example. I think where the confusion lies is that some movies have more devoted fans than others, which could lead some to incorrectly view "x" film with devoted fans as cult. There are some blockbusters with particularly devoted fans and other commercial films where the fans aren't particularly devoted. I do view the labeling of a commercial film as a cult film as non-traditional use of terminology. Sometimes definitions of words change over time, but that is usually the result of many people not using "x" word accurately.

Reactions: Flloydo
Also the example with the big lebowski is odd. Whilst I agree it’s a cult film. Completely is. It’s had a huge fan base from day one but the description says ...
A film that has a passionate fan base despite lacking critical acclaim, box office success, and/or mainstream interest.

It didn’t lack in critical acclaim on its release, it was praised, it had box office success and within a year of its release a mainstream interest. And it’s still as huge today. Okay it never made Burton batman Money but it did very well for that type of film. From the get go.
So that contradicts its self with the description and example.

The numbers don’t show it was a comercial success . 18 million box office on 15 million budget.
Taken from Wikipedia :
“The Big Lebowski received mixed reviews at the time of its release. Over time, reviews have become largely positive, and the film has become a cult favorite,[5] noted for its eccentric characters, comedic dream sequences, idiosyncratic dialogue, and eclectic soundtrack”

The traditional definition of cult refers to a small, select group of people, like a cult religion as opposed to a mainstream religion, for example. I think where the confusion lies is that some movies have more devoted fans than others, which could lead some to incorrectly view "x" film with devoted fans as cult. There are some blockbusters with particularly devoted fans and other commercial films where the fans aren't particularly devoted. I do view the labeling of a commercial film as a cult film as non-traditional use of terminology. Sometimes definitions of words change over time, but that is usually the result of many people not using "x" word accurately.
Also another thing people don’t take in to account. And batman is a great example of this

The original film is 33 years old now. Which had a lot of fans and clearly still does. However, like words and meanings of words or the use of certain words change over time so can the status of a film. Just like Some films don’t age well and some do. Batman in movies since this film has had 8 other films over those 33 years. More younger people growing up with a new age of batman will prefer bale or Affleck and whilst the Keaton/ burton batman film will also gain new fans every day/ week or year it will be far less than the newer Batman’s. Plus it’s so old now that it won’t appear entertaining to newer fans or younger audiences with the way it looks, limited action, awkward practical effects, slight cheese in places etc. Ergo it turns into a classic with a cult old school following making it a cult classic. Regardless of how big it was 33 years ago. The same arguments can be made for stuff like Star Wars and maybe even stuff like Indiana Jones.

I’d love to hear what people think of the matrix. Whilst it was a huge blockbuster, made sh!tloads and loved by a lot, there’s still millions of people who can’t stand it. I mean it’s one of my favourite films but pretty much 80% of my friends hate it. I’d consider matrix a cult movie with a cult following regardless of how big and mainstream it is now (the first one, not the sequels)

The numbers don’t show it was a comercial success . 18 million box office on 15 million budget.
Taken from Wikipedia :
“The Big Lebowski received mixed reviews at the time of its release. Over time, reviews have become largely positive, and the film has become a cult favorite,[5] noted for its eccentric characters, comedic dream sequences, idiosyncratic dialogue, and eclectic soundtrack”

Well In the same wiki page it explains that it was noticed as a cult movie 2 years later in 2000 and then confirmed cult status in 2002 which is an incredibly small amount of time for a film to hit a cult status in the way we are speaking here. A following ok, but a cult film within 2-4 years of release. Again, I consider it a cult movie, but it’s contradicting everything that the guys who explaining why movies like this are not cult whilst also not understating why the odd film like this sips through and can still be a cult movie.

Reactions: tha_lunatic and MM3
Also another thing people don’t take in to account. And batman is a great example of this

The original film is 33 years old now. Which had a lot of fans and clearly still does. However, like words and meanings of words or the use of certain words change over time so can the status of a film. Just like Some films don’t age well and some do. Batman in movies since this film has had 8 other films over those 33 years. More younger people growing up with a new age of batman will prefer bale or Affleck and whilst the Keaton/ burton batman film will also gain new fans every day/ week or year it will be far less than the newer Batman’s. Plus it’s so old now that it won’t appear entertaining to newer fans or younger audiences with the way it looks, limited action, awkward practical effects, slight cheese in places etc. Ergo it turns into a classic with a cult old school following making it a cult classic. Regardless of how big it was 33 years ago. The same arguments can be made for stuff like Star Wars and maybe even stuff like Indiana Jones.

I’d love to hear what people think of the matrix. Whilst it was a huge blockbuster, made sh!tloads and loved by a lot, there’s still millions of people who can’t stand it. I mean it’s one of my favourite films but pretty much 80% of my friends hate it. I’d consider matrix a cult movie with a cult following regardless of how big and mainstream it is now (the first one, not the sequels)

Well In the same wiki page it explains that it was noticed as a cult movie 2 years later in 2000 and then confirmed cult status in 2002 which is an incredibly small amount of time for a film to hit a cult status in the way we are speaking here. A following ok, but a cult film within 2-4 years of release. Again, I consider it a cult movie, but it’s contradicting everything that the guys who explaining why movies like this are not cult whilst also not understating why the odd film like this sips through and can still be a cult movie.
As a funny side note, on Halloween I dressed up as Batman for elementary school and trick or treating. My dad still makes fun of me to this day and sometimes tells me in a funny voice, "I'm Batman." I grew up with the Tim Burton Batman movies and love them, but I also like the Nolan films.

Reactions: Flloydo
Just to add my two cents, but calling Batman ‘89 a “cult film” would be a disservice to actual films that have accrued cult status. Someone mentioned ‘Toxic Avenger’ earlier and if that’s a legitimate cult film, that means everything in between as small and independent as that and as big and expensive as Batman ‘89 could hypothetically be argued into being considered a cult classic. So basically 99% of the titles on IMDb, like come on; let’s get real.....

Reactions: willbar84 and MM3
Just to add my two cents, but calling Batman ‘89 a “cult film” would be a disservice to actual films that have accrued cult status. Someone mentioned ‘Toxic Avenger’ earlier and if that’s a legitimate cult film, that means everything in between as small and independent as that and as big and expensive as Batman ‘89 could hypothetically be argued into being considered a cult classic. So basically 99% of the titles on IMDb, like come on; let’s get real.....

why would it be a disservice though? We already know cult films with cult followings can be small independent films that maybe weren’t received well at first or fully appreciated and understood (even skipped by many because of word of mouth instead of seeing it for themselves to make their own mind up) to ironically enjoyed films. Meaning they are usually bad and enjoyed for the wrong reasons. But have that massive following. and not all cult films are small indie films anyway. Some had huge marketing. Goonies, rocky horror show etc. Some just couldn’t market themselves at the time and was put off because it wasn’t presented properly but still had a lot of money pumped into it like big trouble in little China.
certain cult films reach that status because the fans go out their way to dress as the characters events/ conventions around that film or to yearly screenings like rocky horror show and big lebowski.

And If 99% of those films on IMDB had the fans, the appreciation, the events and other things all the special editions physical media love released for them that a classic cult film will have then they would be cult. But they don’t.

That don’t mean I think all of the superhero films from DC, marvel etc etc that’s come since batman 89 are also worthy of that title. I think this is the only deserving one. There’s a lot of superhero films that are bigger and more loved since batman 89 but that don’t make them cult (this is referring to your IMDB comment of all types of film). Maybe because it was the first major one that changed the course of those kinds of films, I’m not sure. But I certainly consider this a cult classic, Again, regardless of its blockbuster Status

It’s a disservice in the same way celebrities have recently been using/abusing OnlyFans for their own personal gain despite having millions of dollars already. You’re ruining the idea of OF for the hardworking folks that are lower on the totem pole and actually need the money.

It’s a lazy analogy but this simply ain’t worth arguing about, Batman ‘89 was (and still is) considered a success on all fronts and therefore forfeits its eligibility for cult status.

I wasn't around when the film was originally released, but I've always seen this as the real batman, an 80's classic, just like Terminator 2, Aliens, SW V&VI etc.
And there's nothing cult about those films, Batman seems similar to them, at least in terms of financial results. I think Batman has a lil cult edge to it because of its goofiness, but this is not a real cult film at all IMO.
However my argument isn't really valid anyways, since I didn't experience those times myself :coffee:

As it's never going to be possible for everybody to agree on a definition of "cult movie" maybe it's worth subdividing the term ...

1) Cult classics: films noir etc.
2) Cult camp: musicals etc.
3) Cult blockbusters: massive movies with a massive cult following - annual conventions etc.
4) Foreign language cult
5) Cheap cult: cost little to make, did well at box office
6) Flop then hot cult: not recognised until re-discovered later

... which just about covers every movie ever made.

In the same way, not everybody will agree on what makes for cult packaging and cult steelbook designs but I think Titans of Cult have done well with the packaging throughout but not so well with their steelbook designs having lost their way after BLADE RUNNER.

As it's never going to be possible for everybody to agree on a definition of "cult movie" maybe it's worth subdividing the term ...

1) Cult classics: films noir etc.
2) Cult camp: musicals etc.
3) Cult blockbusters: massive movies with a massive cult following - annual conventions etc.
4) Foreign language cult
5) Cheap cult: cost little to make, did well at box office
6) Flop then hot cult: not recognised until re-discovered later

... which just about covers every movie ever made.

In the same way, not everybody will agree on what makes for cult packaging and cult steelbook designs but I think Titans of Cult have done well with the packaging throughout but not so well with their steelbook designs having lost their way after BLADE RUNNER.
Are you just making stuff up? Cult classics equals "film noir"? Cult blockbusters with "massive followings"? You mean "fans" of a particular movie?
Ya'll do workarounds to make a point stick, seriously.....

It’s a disservice in the same way celebrities have recently been using/abusing OnlyFans for their own personal gain despite having millions of dollars already. You’re ruining the idea of OF for the hardworking folks that are lower on the totem pole and actually need the money.

It’s a lazy analogy but this simply ain’t worth arguing about, Batman ‘89 was (and still is) considered a success on all fronts and therefore forfeits its eligibility for cult status.

well we certainly agree on the onlyfans thing. That is ridiculous with the celebs

the fact this film has a divided opinion on it being cult or not tells me that a lot still consider it to be a cult classic. It’s been a thought of theirs or mentioned in convo. You won’t get everyone to agree on one thing. Ever, not just films. But the fact that a lot agree it is or consider it as one is good enough for me to know I’m not the only one

Tbh, most cult films are either horror or sci fi. A few quirky indie films or dramas and a dabble of other genres including the odd blockbuster. But mostly horror or sci fi