Batman: Arkham City - Prequel to feature Justice League!

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Last night’s Spike TV VGA’s played host to the official unveiling of super hero sequel Batman: Arkham City, the debut trailer of which can be seen below for your consumption courtesy of the chaps at GameTrailers.

Plot info:
Quincy Sharp is no longer running for mayor.
Arkham Asylum and Black Gate Prison are unfit to hold inmates.
Quincy Sharp buys off part of the slums and walls it off, creating Arkham City.
Hugo Strange is now in charge of Arkham City.
Two-Face plans to execute Catwoman to gain respect of inmates.
The overdose of venom may not be what's wrong with the Joker.

Gameplay info:
You are now able to counter two attacks at once.
More puzzles.
All gadgets included in the first game are available from the start.
Side missions now feature in the game.
Gangs roam Arkham City. These are recorded in Batman's criminal database.
You find people who work for the Riddler to find Riddler challenges.
Batman has smoke bombs.

Screens:

BatmanAC.jpg

BatmanAC2.jpg

BatmanAC3.jpg

BatmanAC4.jpg

BatmanAC5.jpg

BatmanAC6.jpg

BatmanAC7.jpg

BatmanAC8.jpg

BatmanAC9.jpg

BatmanAC10.jpg

BatmanAC11.jpg

BatmanAC12.jpg

BatmanAC13.jpg

BatmanAC14.jpg

BatmanAC15.jpg

BatmanAC16.jpg

BatmanAC17.jpg

BatmanAC18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
finally a dev that understands that single player is more important that multiplayer!!

+1
I think it's great that a studio realized that multiplayer is not a requirement. I enjoy that they can focus on the campaign because that's what I love about these batman games, not some cheap, half assed attempt at multiplayer.

I don't understand developers who tack on multiplayer to a game that doesn't need it, a few examples being Bioshock 2 and DeadSpace 2. It just wasn't needed in my opinion.

+1
I think it's great that a studio realized that multiplayer is not a requirement. I enjoy that they can focus on the campaign because that's what I love about these batman games, not some cheap, half assed attempt at multiplayer.

I don't understand developers who tack on multiplayer to a game that doesn't need it, a few examples being Bioshock 2 and DeadSpace 2. It just wasn't needed in my opinion.

And AC:Brotherhood. I actually liked AC2 better.

It may not be needed, but AC Brotherhood and Dead Space 2 are both still have great single player, while having a multiplayer that's different from the others and still works with the game.

What they need to do is make an amazing single player, while having a respectable multiplayer for those that want it. Devs just can't keep cutting the single player experience short for multiplayer.

The thing nowadays is people want more enjoyment out of there games then 15-20 hours. They pick up a game with multiplayer to get more for their money.

I think the problem with MP is that in some games the focus starts with SP campaign and slowly the focus goes to MP. You end up with half a$$ SP and MP. Certain games just simply don't require it. Then again you have a tons of people who are obsessed with MP as if every game needed it. It doesn't, I am glad they decided Batman wasn't a game fit for it.

the ign preview has a date of September 30th 2011 i wonder if that's the right date or just some wild guess.The game sounds great from what I've been hearing so far, and it was shown at the ms event let's hope we get some exclusive content this time around.

Oct 18/21 Release Date

Batman: Arkham City dated for U.S., U.K.

This Fall continues to get more crowded as Warner Bros. today announced the release date for Batman: Arkham City.

The game launches on Oct. 18 in North America and on Oct. 21 in Europe for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Batman: Arkham City: New Screenshots and Details

5515097902_0d006c210b.jpg

There’s five of us in the private screening room and Dax Ginn, marketing game manager at Rocksteady, has just played through an early mission from Arkham City, lasting around 30 minutes, which I’m not going to spoil for you. We are free to call out questions afterwards and one journalist asks, “Will we see anything like the Scarecrow missions from Arkham Asylum?”

“Did you like the scarecrow stuff?” he replies to slow nods. “Well we did too. Aren’t you glad that you didn’t know about the Scarecrow levels before you played Arkham Asylum? If they had been part of the marketing campaign they wouldn’t have had that kind of impact, so I’m just going to leave it there.”

The biggest difference between Arkham City and its predecessor is the move to a more open setting. In the intervening 18 months, Quincy Sharp, who was the warden of the Asylum, is elected Mayor of Gotham and transfers all of the inmates to Arkham City. Batman has been watching all of this happen and he knows that he’s going to have to deal with it.

Arkham City is also around five times bigger than the Asylum and most of it is open to the player from the start.” Anything that is open to the sky is open to player right from the off,” Dax explains. “Nobody tells Batman where to go so it was important for us to give that freedom right at the start. The interiors are gated and will open as a result of narrative progression.”

5514504187_23e4a033a9.jpg

“Our attitude towards pacing is to throw everything at the player straight away and let them decide how and when they want to navigate those options. Telling a story in Arkham Asylum was very easy because it was a very linear experience. Arkham City isn’t a sandbox game but it’s not completely linear either – it’s somewhere in-between.”

“What we don’t want to do was ruin the pacing with frivolous collection missions where you have to go and find 50 things while Gotham is burning – Batman wouldn’t do that. We have a tight core narrative with clear paths; going off-piste inevitably yields other options but they are always character driven, whether that’s answering a phonecall from Zsasz and having him taunt you or finding an informant who reveals another snippet of information.”

Batman is able to negotiate this large, open space by gliding and swooping to gain momentum, using his Bat Claw to catch the corners of buildings and propel himself skyward. He can even hook onto patrol helicopters and perch on the landing gear as chaos unfolds beneath.

“If you’re just flying around the streets looking for a fight,” Dax adds, “you’ll pick up bits of information that have been designed to be communicated in an ambient fashion at that particular stage in the game. There is a vast amount of conversational dialogue that has been a serious job to write and record, but we finally finished it last Wednesday.”

5515098956_a015c11c96.jpg

“We’re constantly looking at Arkham Asylum and seeing how it feeds into Arkham City. The same applies to characters, combat, moves; they all carry over but how they have evolved is directly related to the new challenges Batman is facing.”

This also applies to Detective Mode, an X-ray overlay that you use to gather forensic information. Some people had mixed feelings about it because, while it was very useful, they felt like they were missing out the game’s incredible visuals by using it.

“There weren’t a lot of criticisms of Arkham Asylum but that was one of them,” says Dax, “and thinking about why people reacted the way that they did and what we’re going to do about it was really interesting. Batman is a detective, so removing detective mode wasn’t an option for us because it suits him so well and it allows us to do these slower paced investigation sections.”

“Our thinking was more about why people responded to it in that way. Gamers wanted it to be more of a tool, just like the Bat Claw is a tool. We hadn’t balanced it right so it felt more like an exploit than a tool, because it gave you so much information. That’s our understanding of the criticisms and our response has been to balance that information better.”

Before we finished, one journalist enquired if Rocksteady would be interested in working on a game adaptation of The Dark Knight Rises.

“He [Christopher Nolan] is a pretty amazing guy and that would be a brilliant lunchtime meeting to have, discussing how that might work. But what we find with the comic book license is that we get creative freedom to push the characters in pretty much any direction we like; we’re not bound to a single narrative. I’m not saying we’ll never make a game based on a movie, but as of right now and from a creative perspective, it’s not something we want to be doing.”

Arkham City is looking very much the worthy successor to my flatmate’s favorite PS3 game. From the sound of it, we can expect plenty of surprises when it is released, and I can promise you won’t read about them here first.

Will Batman: Arkham City See the Return of Poison Ivy?

Poison_Ivy_Render.jpg

In an interview with 918TheFan, Poison Ivy voice actor Tasia Valenza has confirmed that she'll be lending her voice to the sultry plant lady once again in Batman: Arkham City, revealing the chlorophyll-infused villain will be returning.

You might remember Ivy being part of a huge boss battle in Batman: Arkham Asylum that involved a huge triffid-like plant firing fatal spores and whipping Bats with its tendrils. What role she'll play in Arkham City however is unknown, but Valenza thinks her character looks "pretty rocking". Yes.

Expect eco-terrorism and more gigantic plants if Poison Ivy gets her way in Arkham City. Get the weed killer in for Batman: Arkham City, which is set to release on October 18th, 2011 in North America and October 21st, 2011 in Europe.

Arkham City main story to last 25 hours

Rocksteady’s said that the main story campaign in Batman: Arkham City will last around 25 hours – significantly longer than the eight hour time frame originally touted by the developer earlier this year.

Not only that, but the studio has also said that the superhero sequel’s play time can be further increased by tackling non-essential story missions, which add another 15 hours worth of gameplay. So that's about 40 hours of content in total -- not too shabby.

"It takes over 25 hours to complete the main stories in Batman: Arkham City. To keep players engaged for this length of time, not only do the characters and the story need to progress, but the core mechanics of the game they are playing need to change and adapt as well", said Rocksteady’s Sefton Hill, during a chat with The Guardian.

"The side missions in Batman: Arkham City are a good example. We have around 15 hours of story that's off the main path," he continued.

"It's completely down to the player when and how they want to tackle this - there's no right or wrong time. There's no other medium that can offer this kind of flexible experience where the viewer gets to tailor the experience they want themselves."

Elsewhere, Hill said he feels videogames including Arkham City boast a narrative structure that’s comparable to that of TV shows rather than films.

"In terms of narrative structure, I think games are much more analogous to an episodic TV series than a film. You have, say, 15 hourly episodes to fill, each requiring its own narrative arc but each plugging into an overarching storyline", said Hill.

"It requires a lot of planning to make sure that every single hour is consistent with each other, is feeding and driving towards a compelling crescendo, while remaining implicitly self-explanatory so players can pick up and play at any time and know what they are doing."

Batman: Arkham City Says Hello to The Penguin

An article in Australia's Sunday Herald has revealed that The Penguin will be the latest addition to Batman: Arkham City's menagerie of villains, after one of the game's early trailers hinted that Oswald Cobblepot would be in the game by showing the super villain's Iceberg Lounge nightclub.

Talking to the publication, Rocksteady's Dax Ginn explained that the studio will put a different spin on The Penguin making him more reprehensible than ever before: "The way that Penguin has always been portrayed is as quite an aristocratic, well-spoken gentleman who's got these twisted delusions of grandeur" said Ginn. "So we've made him a really horrible, nasty piece of work - but still with the delusion of grandeur. He dresses well, but in a poor taste, and we've made him this brutish, brutal guy but also keyed into the collection fascination that he's had through out the years."

Apparently, you'll encounter The Penguin after solving one of The Riddler's many puzzles, facing his evil minions who obviously have orders to kill Batman. "Penguin's faction is much more about the collection that he has within his museum of all sorts of things but one of those things he collects is heavily artillery," noted Ginn. "So when you come up against his thugs in the street they are all going to have seriously heavy weapons and that develops throughout the game as well."

Ginn also went on to describe Catwoman, revealing "The attitude of this Selena Kyle is closer to that of the late, great Eartha Kitt from the cult 60s TV show: strong, confident, sexy and independent."

Batman: Arkham City is slated for release on October 18th in North America and October 21st in Europe

arkhamcitypenguinpic1.jpg

Cat woman is a playable character in Arkham City!

Not the way joker was via challenges, but actually within the main story mode itself.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk