Bayonetta - Megathread - Dated for Japan! delayed for U.S. & Europe until 2010

Jan 29, 2009
Bayonetta director Hideki Kamiya asks, "Have action games really progressed past what we accomplished seven years ago?" Speaking at last night's Platinum Games coming out party, Kamiya recalled his efforts to "kick start" the action genre into 3D with Devil May Cry back in 2001 and said, "we, as creators, have squandered an opportunity to make things better, smoother, more intense, more engaging" since then. Fear not, Kamiya has returned to "make good on [the] promise of seven years ago." Enter: Bayonetta -- "action to its climax."

Bayonetta is named for the game's main character, a witch reborn in the modern day to join a war against angels (apparently someone hasn't been spending her afterlife Up There). "Not only does she kick and punch, and have two guns in her hands, she actually equips guns on her feet." If that's not enough to mow down those beasts of heaven, then Bayonetta's also got her witchcraft, an arsenal of top-secret "abilities" ... And that's all we've got to go on, for now -- 'cept for the trailer after the break!

BRAND NEW TRAILER!!

bayonetta-006.jpg

bayonetta-004.jpg

bayonetta-002.jpg

custom1233325410052b161xo9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, the cutscenes were kinda boring and stupid, but the gameplay was frickin awesome! I was kicking major ass, this is a definite rent at the least for me :D ... but I got a huge backlog right now haha.

IGN is saying that the PS3 port has lots of problems.

Bayonetta 360 review score: 9.5

PS3 review score: 8.2

Bayonetta could have been the best action game on the PS3. After all, this over-the-top affair from Hideki Kamiya and his team at Platinum Games not only delivers some of the coolest combat mechanics around but it coats the experience in an eccentric, hyper-stylish shell. Unfortunately, the PS3 port of Bayonetta is a very disappointing piece of software. I love Bayonetta -- just look at my review of the 360 version for proof. But Bayonetta on the PS3 is a whole different beast.

The PS3 version has a lot of problems, primary among them being the excessive slowdown and loading. During certain scenes of high action, Bayonetta can slow down dramatically, enough to affect the gameplay experience. I can usually tolerate that sort of issue to an extent, but the loading problems are simply unacceptable.

This game loads all the time. When the player pauses the game during combat or a cutscene, there's noticeable loading before the pause menu is displayed. There's loading when you pick up an item and there's loading as you scroll through menus. There's even an obnoxious load time just to view a list of save files. For a game that's supposed to emphasize quick action and style, these loads are almost deal-breakers.

:mad:

Those guys are nothing but Xbox elitist under M$ payroll so I would hardly take their word as serious. However, given the track record of some studios giving less importance to the PS ports I wouldn't completely throw these claims out the window! I'll just wait for another place to review the game.

I played the demo and it looked awful

screen tearing was constant, high action did cause hiccups... overall I just couldn't stand to play it...

The controls felt great, and I wanted to get into the story, but the screen tearing and hiccups in the action are just impossible to see past.

Bayonetta getting installation patch

SEGA has confirmed that it is planning on releasing an installation patch for the PlayStation 3 version of Bayonetta.

As you’d expect, this will allow owners of the sultry action romp to install the game on their hard drive, acting as a much needed remedy for the game’s rather horrendous loading times.

Apparently, the patch hits Japan tomorrow, though it remains unknown as to when it’ll show up in western territories, though we'll be sure to keep you posted.

Bayonetta update for PS3 to decrease load times

If you’ve been playing Bayonetta on your PlayStation 3, you may be frustrated with the long load times. If so, SEGA has an online update that will allow the game to be installed onto the PlayStation 3’s hard drive, significantly decreasing load times.

According to the developer’s website, the update will automatically be downloaded when the game is launched.

SEGA hints at Bayonetta sequel

SEGA has expressed interest in developing a sequel to its stylish action romp Bayonetta, describing the game as one of many titles in the company’s portfolio it could “sequel-ise”.

“We want to get the core games right before anything else,” said SEGA president, Mike Hayes, during a chinwag with CVG. “We’ve got our shooter with AvP and our RPG with Alpha Protocol – we really want to make those into franchises.”

“If you think about it, we can sequel-ise Bayonetta, AVP, Alpha Protocol and we can make a hit of something like Vanquish. Add that to Football Manager and Virtua Tennis – we actually have a broad portfolio.”

SEGA hints at Bayonetta sequel

SEGA has expressed interest in developing a sequel to its stylish action romp Bayonetta, describing the game as one of many titles in the company’s portfolio it could “sequel-ise”.

“We want to get the core games right before anything else,” said SEGA president, Mike Hayes, during a chinwag with CVG. “We’ve got our shooter with AvP and our RPG with Alpha Protocol – we really want to make those into franchises.”

“If you think about it, we can sequel-ise Bayonetta, AVP, Alpha Protocol and we can make a hit of something like Vanquish. Add that to Football Manager and Virtua Tennis – we actually have a broad portfolio.”

Hopefully they handle the PS3 port better next time.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Is this game on the 20-30 dollar bin yet?

No.