Bionic Commando and Rearmed (PSN) Megathread

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
bionic-commando.jpg

Bionic Commando is the seventh generation console installment in Capcom's adventure-platformer series, and the sixth game overall. The game was developed and published by Capcom in collaboration with Swedish developer GRIN. The game is a direct sequel to the second game and its remake Bionic Commando Rearmed, released in 1988 for the NES and in 2008 as a download for current gen systems. The development team has gone on record saying they have looked through all the old games including Mercs for connections. The game is run on the homebrewed Grin "Diesel" Engine.

Plot: The events of the game take place ten years after the NES installment. According to Capcom's press release, this iteration follows Nathan "RAD" Spencer (voiced by Mike Patton, Faith No More lead singer), and a government operative working in the fictional Ascension City and an Operative for the Tactical Arms and Security Committee (or T.A.S.C) which specializes in training bionic commandos like Spencer. After he is betrayed by his own government and falsely imprisoned, the Great Bionic Purge begins. Before his execution, an experimental weapon detonates in Ascension City, unleashing an earthquake along with a radioactive shock wave that leaves the city destroyed and wiping out its populace, with the threat of an invasion from a terrorist force known as the "BioReign". Spencer is now freed to redeem his name along with the T.A.S.C's and is reunited with the bionic arm of which he was stripped.

Relese date (US): May 19th, 2009
Developer: Capcom / GRIN
Genre: Action - Third Person

Last edited by a moderator:
Bionic Commando sells just 27,000 copies in the U.S.

The research firm the NPD group recently announced that Capcom's Bionic Commando sold a mere 27,000 copies in the U.S. between its release date, May 19, 2009, and the conclusion of the month. NPD said that it could not disclose how many copies sold were for the PlayStation 3, but only that the 27,000 figure applies to sales across both platforms.

It's a remarkable disappointment for two reasons: the first and most obvious is that Bionic Commando is a famous Capcom franchise. The second reason is that Bionic Commando was developed by Grin, the same company that brought the brilliant Bionic Commando Rearmed to the PlayStation Network. Across all three platforms, Bionic Command Rearmed sold 130,000 copies in its first week. Yes, it was less expensive because it was a PlayStation Network title, but still, it was anticipated that Bionic Commando would topple last year's downloadable remake.

Bionic Commando Rearmed getting update, Trophies included

After receiving much feedback from the community, Capcom USA and GRIN decided to update Bionic Commando Rearmed.

Trophies aren?t the only part of the update; there is also a bug fix for the Super Joe Machine Gun: on all difficulty levels, the upgraded gun becomes more powerful, instead of just having a larger clip.

Not only that, but there is a new ?normal? difficulty setting with the following features:

--When you die, you respawn at the last solid ground or checkpoint
--The level Albatross B was cut
--The ability to reel out the cable when hanging or swinging to its full length
--If the player swings into a wall, they will no longer disconnect and be thrown away from the wall. Instead, they will keep connected and reel in
--Unlimited lives

Capcom said that the helpful comments (not the ones that said ?Eff Crapcom,? they note) on the PlayStation Blog and Capcom Unity forums played a large part in bringing this update to pass. We presume the actual Trophies will be similar to the game's Xbox Achievements.

The update will be available ?soon.?
________

Bionic Commando Rearmed getting update, Trophies included

After receiving much feedback from the community, Capcom USA and GRIN decided to update Bionic Commando Rearmed.

Trophies aren’t the only part of the update; there is also a bug fix for the Super Joe Machine Gun: on all difficulty levels, the upgraded gun becomes more powerful, instead of just having a larger clip.

Not only that, but there is a new “normal” difficulty setting with the following features:

--When you die, you respawn at the last solid ground or checkpoint
--The level Albatross B was cut
--The ability to reel out the cable when hanging or swinging to its full length
--If the player swings into a wall, they will no longer disconnect and be thrown away from the wall. Instead, they will keep connected and reel in
--Unlimited lives

Capcom said that the helpful comments (not the ones that said “Eff Crapcom,” they note) on the PlayStation Blog and Capcom Unity forums played a large part in bringing this update to pass. We presume the actual Trophies will be similar to the game's Xbox Achievements.

The update will be available “soon.”

i bought this game last summer. i played it a bit but then decided id wait till they came out with trophies. my patience has finally paid off!!! (that and wipeout HD got released shortly after ;))

i bought this game last summer. i played it a bit but then decided id wait till they came out with trophies. my patience has finally paid off!!! (that and wipeout HD got released shortly after ;))

I'd like to get BC:R after the trophies are released.