Bioshock Megathread (movie in the works) - Coming to your Mac!

Jan 29, 2009
BioShock is a first-person shooter video game, developed by 2K Boston/2K Australia—previously known as Irrational Games—designed by Ken Levine. It was released for the Windows operating system and Xbox 360 video game console on August 21, 2007, in North America, and three days later in Europe and Australia. A PlayStation 3 version of the game, which was developed by 2K Marin, was released internationally on October 17, 2008 and in North America on October 21, 2008 with some additional features. A version of the game for mobile platforms is currently being developed by IG Fun. A sequel, BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams, will be released in 2009.

Set in an alternate history 1960, the game places the player in the role of a plane crash survivor named Jack, who must explore the underwater dystopian city of Rapture, and survive attacks by the mutated beings and mechanical drones that populate it. The game incorporates elements found in role-playing and survival horror games, and is described by the developers and Levine as a "spiritual successor" to their previous titles in the System Shock series.

BioShock is a first-person shooter with role-playing game customization and stealth elements, and is similar to System Shock 2.

The player takes the role of Jack who aims to fight his way through Rapture, using weapons and plasmids that give him special powers such as telekinesis or the ability to electrocute, incinerate or freeze foes. Some plasmids even unleash an insect swarm on your foes or enrage them. Security cameras and foes can be evaded by stealth; alternatively, security cameras and turrets can be destroyed using weapons or hacked to use them to the player's advantage. Hacking, which is based on the Pipe Dream game concept, can also be used on health dispensers and vending machines to gain extra benefits, and on locks and safes to gain access to the secured contents.
A Big Daddy defends a Little Sister from two Splicers, while the player watches.

The main resources in the game are ADAM, EVE, and money. ADAM is a mutagen, which allows genetic changes. Quantities of ADAM can be used to purchase plasmids and other genetic mutations at special "Gatherers Gardens" vending machines throughout the game. ADAM can be obtained in several ways, most prominently the harvesting of "Little Sisters" after defeating their bodyguards, the "Big Daddies," who are large, heavily armored, genetically enhanced humans wearing armored diving suits. EVE acts as fuel for "active plasmids" in a manner similar to magic points in other games, while money allows the purchase of items and ammunition, as well as paying to override security elements, such as bots or turrets.

It is here that morality is implemented as an aspect of the gameplay; the player can choose to either rescue the Little Sisters, or harvest their ADAM (resulting in their death). While both choices have their advantages, this element of conflicting morals has an impact on the storyline, and, among other things, on the difficulty of the game itself.

To adapt and advance the character, the player can purchase plasmids, using ADAM. These are grouped under the Combat, Engineering, Active, and Physical technology trees. The "Active" plasmids are abilities that function as alternate weapons; they are powered by EVE, and require activation by the player. The other classes of plasmids, referred to as "Tonics," are passive abilities that work as long as they are selected as equipment ("equipped").

bioshock_new.jpg

Plasmids are versatile, and can be used by the player both in concert with each other and with the environment to create numerous effects. For example, "telekinesis" can be used on all loose objects: the player can catch and redirect grenades, rockets, thrown items, or hold large objects to form impromptu shields, or use those same objects as projectiles. Other types of plasmids have different practical uses; for instance, using an "electro-bolt" on a body of water electrifies not only the water, but also any beings and machines within it. The player is also encouraged to use critical thinking in the use of plasmids; for instance, a player may use "incinerate" to set an enemy on fire, and when the enemy jumps into a body of water to smother the flames, use "electro-bolt" to kill the enemy instantly. An element of choice is present: since not all plasmids can be equipped at once, the player must decide which plasmids to use, and which to place in storage. The hacking minigame in BioShock, which requires the player to construct a complete pipe system between two points while avoiding obstacles.

Most plasmids alter the character's appearance, in keeping with the theme of "sacrificing one's humanity," referenced by Ryan in one of the game's trailers. For instance, the incinerate plasmid causes the character's hand to glow red, take on a charred appearance, and radiate flames from the fingers. However, selecting a weapon will cause these changes to revert to normal, suggesting that any physical changes conferred are temporary. Higher levels of the same plasmid will cause more extreme changes; for example, the highest level of incinerate causes a heavier glow, more severe charring, and more prominent flames. In all, there are over 70 unique plasmids and tonics varieties.

Via single-use weapon-upgrade kiosks called "Power to the People" machines, the player can customize weapons to hold larger magazines, consume ammunition at a slower rate, or cause more damage. Each weapon has a selection of three different types of ammunition: normal, anti-personnel, and armor-piercing bullets are available for the weapons found early in the game; later weapons such as the crossbow have more diverse types of ammunition. There is also a "research camera" in the game that analyzes enemies. After taking enough pictures of any given enemy, the player is granted increased damage, plasmids, and other bonuses when facing that type of enemy in future battles. The quality of the photograph determines the rate at which these advantages are rewarded.

The player can also access several types of vending machines: the "U-Invent," which combines retrievable spare parts into ammunition, tools, etc.; "The Circus of Values" vending machine sells everything from cakes to first aid kits to EVE hypos; the "El Ammo Bandito!," a machine that vends both normal and specialty ammunition; and other more specialized machines, such as health stations. Most vending machine varieties can be hacked, allowing the player to buy "hack-only" items, and reducing the cost of the previously available merchandise. Glass-walled "Vita-Chambers" can also be found throughout the game, which the player does not use directly. Instead, should Jack die, his body is reconstituted at the nearest one, retaining all of his possessions, but only a portion of his full health

Last edited:
It appears that Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams will have a multiplayer mode, and will be available for the PC,PS3,and 360.

The following is a recent posting on gamasutra.com’s job listings section:

Leading multiple engineers within a proven team to design and build a network frontend and backend support for an action-packed AAA multiplayer title

• Advising engineers on how to properly architect their systems for optimal multiplayer support

• Extending and enhancing Unreal Engine 3 with proprietary networking tech to address gameplay, performance, platform, production, tools, and QA needs

• Interfacing with Microsoft, Sony, and other providers for matching-making and other services

• Working with the Technical Director, Lead Programmer, and IT Director to plan and execute major changes to core technology or backend services

• Responsible for delivering a robust, scalable, and responsive multiplayer gameplay code and backend services for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 platforms

The BioShock team is betting big on multiplayer and plans to stay at the top of the charts– we’re careful about the problems we tackle, innovative in our approach, solid in our implementation, and we polish the heck out of everything we do. Right now we’re looking for an exceptional individual to direct the development of this multiplayer experience through a combination of leadership, design, coding, and daily problem solving on the gameplay networking and backend server components.

just picked this game up last week and started playing last night before I fell asleep. Hopefully get on tonight

Pssh, I'm playing Blitz II, then Midnight, then Far Cry 2, then Bioshock, then Fallout 3, then Killzone 2... oh crap..

I spent 5 hours last night playing this game and it is one of the best SP games i have played in a long time. It doesnt get old there is always something new.

Just killed my first Big Daddy! He's suprised me with how fast he charges you. I figured he'd be slow with him lumbering around and what not. I was able to take him down with my anti-personel/armor piercing rounds... also i've been rescuing the little sisters. anyone kill them? or is rescuing the way to go?

Just killed my first Big Daddy! He's suprised me with how fast he charges you. I figured he'd be slow with him lumbering around and what not. I was able to take him down with my anti-personel/armor piercing rounds... also i've been rescuing the little sisters. anyone kill them? or is rescuing the way to go?

I killed one and saved one. But, that's pretty much where I left off in the game so I don't really know which is better. I've had so many games to play that I had to put that one back on the shelf. I need to quit buying so many games. It's getting ridiculous. I have about 40 games now and I have no idea how I'm gonna play them all. I STILL haven't even finished MGS4 and I love that game too.

Yep, I quit buying games, my next one is going to be NCAA and after that, only Sony 1st party games, I have too many to play..

I killed one and saved one. But, that's pretty much where I left off in the game so I don't really know which is better. I've had so many games to play that I had to put that one back on the shelf. I need to quit buying so many games. It's getting ridiculous. I have about 40 games now and I have no idea how I'm gonna play them all. I STILL haven't even finished MGS4 and I love that game too.

You sould at least finish it before Bioshock 2 comes out... So you've still got a ways to go...

i save them all A. i want the trophy, B. Tenenbaum hooks you up with 200 ADAM, tonics, money, ammo, etc after you rescue 3. I think the rewards are better that way.

i beat the game on survival first time through. well, technically not the first time since i beat it on PC. on PC i saved them all, this time i harvested them all. so i didn't get all the trophies in one play through, but it sure was nice to get all those golds right in a row after i beat it :D

i must say though that survival wasn't as hard as it was cracked up to be. the first 3 or so big daddies were pretty tough, but after i started to get plasmids and weapons upgraded, i dominated them fairly easily.

im sure before 2 comes out ill beat it again and save them all in order to get that silver trophy. what a great game!

just beat the game. AWESOME!!!!!!!! anyone who hasnt played it yet and are looking for a good SP game, then this is it. now its time for KZ2.