May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
4.25 star(s) Rating: 4.25/5 4 Votes
Title: Birds of Prey

Genre: Action, Crime, Drama

Director: Cathy Yan

Cast: Margot Robbie

Release: 2020-02-07

Plot: After splitting up with The Joker, Harley Quinn and three other female superheroes – Black Canary, Huntress and Renee Montoya – come together to save the life of a little girl (Cassandra Cain) from an evil crime lord.

Watched last night and felt was a decent and solid DCEU film, though I don't think it lives up to the hype.
Some very good action/fight scenes especially those featuring Harley Quinn.
Also agree with @kaw wish there was more screen time for some of the other characters - alittle too much Harley Quinn for me.
I wasn't overly impressed with the portrayal of Victor Zsasz character in the movie, but that may be I'm more use to seeing the Gotham TV 'Zsasz' :spoil:

Only ok for me, I've said this after both Aquaman and Shazam but it feels to me the critics are overcompensating now following the overly harsh criticism they gave the likes of BVS and Suicide Squad because just as those films were nowhere near as bad as the critics said these 3 most recent worlds of D.C. films are nowhere near as good as the positive reviews suggest

The fight scenes are fun, the sound track is good, I think the Black Canary character is a highlight but those 3 things aside the film is all over the place. There's a severe lack of The Huntress character, the Birds of Prey only actually team up for the very final act and Robbie as Harley is nowhere near as iconic as she was in Suicide Squad

Hopefully Gunn's Suicide Squad film ends up being better than this

I still have mixed feelings from the trailers, but I might actually go check this one out in cinemas... the trailer played before TRoS when I went to see it with my 60+ y/o dad, and he turned to me and said "that's a film I'd actually like to see", so I may treat him. :p

I still have mixed feelings from the trailers, but I might actually go check this one out in cinemas... the trailer played before TRoS when I went to see it with my 60+ y/o dad, and he turned to me and said "that's a film I'd actually like to see", so I may treat him. :p
My dad would have loved a movie like BoP, he was certainly into kung fu, westerns etc, that had the showdowns. Hope your dad enjoys it, share his opinion if you do go to see it together.

Got my tickets for 5:30 today, not long now :thumbs:

My dad would have loved a movie like BoP, he was certainly into kung fu, westerns etc, that had the showdowns. Hope your dad enjoys it, share his opinion if you do go to see it together.

Got my tickets for 5:30 today, not long now :thumbs:
My dad has similar tastes, so definitely one for older generations too by the sounds of it! Hopefully we both find the time to go check it out anyway, and I'll definitely report back with our thoughts if so.

Enjoy mate, and be sure to also let us know what you think afterwards. :thumbs:

Reactions: GeoRattray
This is what I was afraid of...

I hope word of mouth gives it legs because it doesn't look like its going to make much this weekend.

I have a feeling it was the marketing... Remember the Suicide Squad trailer? That trailer sold tickets.
I love DC and Harley but I remember watching the trailer for this and I wasn't pumped... but being a loyal fan I went opening night and ended up loving it.
I really hope people give it a chance.

I find it shocking that people would rather go see Joker then this. I liked this WAY more then Joker. Its a much better time at the movies. haha

This is what I was afraid of...

I hope word of mouth gives it legs because it doesn't look like its going to make much this weekend.

I have a feeling it was the marketing... Remember the Suicide Squad trailer? That trailer sold tickets.
I love DC and Harley but I remember watching the trailer for this and I wasn't pumped... but being a loyal fan I went opening night and ended up loving it.
I really hope people give it a chance.

I find it shocking that people would rather go see Joker then this. I liked this WAY more then Joker. Its a much better time at the movies. haha

The trailers didn't quite do it for me, but I felt like I was mostly alone on that, since the majority of folks seemed to love them and there was a lot of buzz on social media, so this news is very surprising to be honest. Hopefully things pick up, especially if it is a genuinely fun film that deserves success... unlike some other pieces of trash that make billions *cough* F&F franchise :BS: :p

• Haha
Reactions: willbar84 and kaw
Hopefully get to see this next week. Seriously not been buzzing like this for a DCEU film since MoS.
The public and standard cinema goer/ film loves do amaze me. Well up for a dark, naughty, quirky DC film. Then again, I’ve seen nothing but positive things for this on twitter

Tracking about 30-35mil for end of weekend was originally 50+ but some are acting like the Box Office ends on Sunday. This will have legs as word of mouth will continue to grow as well over the month of February it’s dead quite for direct competition with the closet being Sonic but that’s for a different demographic. My guess this will do similar numbers to Shazam! but a lil better maybe a 150/250mil split for domestic and International. Bearing in mind this is a low budget R Rated film it’s only got to make back 200mil to be deemed profitable as total budget was just under 100mil incl marketing. DC just has to work harder when Bats or Supes isn’t involved to make bank as it doesn’t have the MCU corporate franchise label for consumers to consume their next cookie cutter product to rely on. Here’s two prime examples Captain Marvel which despite how bad it is still made +1billion bank or on the other end of the spectrum the GP including some select interviewers (Michael Strahan) when they see a new CBM they just assume it’s Marvel :facepalm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Noodles
1581233563318.jpeg

Nice lil Easter egg of OG Harley Quinn Arleen Sorkin :drool: she had a cameo in BoP with Days of our Lives footage playing on Montoya’s TV which actually inspired the creation of Harley Quinn.

Last edited:
Just got back from having a weekend break that had the highlight seeing BoP yesterday. Was so looking forward to it, and I really enjoyed it. Audiences need to support this. Go see this at the cinema :thumbs:

I heard there was pacing issues, and I didn't get that feeling. Though, I must be getting old as I found two scenes rather uncomfortable due to the graphic nature, *spoilers suppressed* which I never would have blinked once if it was in a John Wick movie. Perhaps being in the cinema provokes more emotion. As a DC movie, I think it breaks the mold of typical superhero expectation and does what it want's to do and I think it does it rather well. I liked the film's non-linear story telling, though I know that won't be to everyone's taste and I did genuinely laugh out loud at some of graphic scenes especially the end, which was so great. DC have found the stride in humor and in their way they portray it in the universe that has hit it's stride.

I want more of the DECU and think this film deserves to be a box office success. Let's support this, whilst WW 1984 comes along, trailer was playing in my theater BTW, so can't wait to have a steelbook WWA and perhaps HTZeta offerings to continue my DCEU collections and more importantly another viewing of this :thumbs:

Just got back from having a weekend break that had the highlight seeing BoP yesterday. Was so looking forward to it, and I really enjoyed it. Audiences need to support this. Go see this at the cinema :thumbs:

I heard there was pacing issues, and I didn't get that feeling. Though, I must be getting old as I found two scenes rather uncomfortable due to the graphic nature, *spoilers suppressed* which I never would have blinked once if it was in a John Wick movie. Perhaps being in the cinema provokes more emotion. As a DC movie, I think it breaks the mold of typical superhero expectation and does what it want's to do and I think it does it rather well. I liked the film's non-linear story telling, though I know that won't be to everyone's taste and I did genuinely laugh out loud at some of graphic scenes especially the end, which was so great. DC have found the stride in humor and in their way they portray it in the universe that has hit it's stride.

I want more of the DECU and think this film deserves to be a box office success. Let's support this, whilst WW 1984 comes along, trailer was playing in my theater BTW, so can't wait to have a steelbook WWA and perhaps HTZeta offerings to continue my DCEU collections and more importantly another viewing of this :thumbs:
Glad to hear you enjoyed it mate. You've convinced me... definitely going to give it my money and check it out in cinemas. :D

That’s fantastic to hear you liked it I just new this was right up your alley and would have an absolute blast with this. Yeah I totally agree DC have found their stride with the comedy side of things which isn’t drenched with comedy like some other universe that is obsessed with cracking jokes ‘n’ bathos. The only thing I didn’t like about BoP was what they did with Cassandra Cain’s character she could’ve and should’ve been Stephanie Brown. When I first heard about Cass in this i was so excited as if you know her character well there is a great possibility that it becomes a fantastic package deal with Lady Shiva. So next up Wonder Woman 1984 that’s looking so good especially with the leak of Wiig’s Cheetah and what a great year to set it in ;)

Totally hear you about the DCEU since 2013 the DC Films Universe has been hitting on a whole new level that no other film franchise is brave enough to do by making films that are unique with tonal differences that best suit the characters which push boundaries and take chances while developing canon that will develop into a larger continuity. Sure theve had a few duds with Suicide Squad and Josstice League but that was due to studio interference and trying to be MCU 2.0 Now theve learnt from their mistakes and the DC Films Universe has now gone back to been director driven just like it was in the beginning with Snyder’s well before it’s time to be fully appreciated MoS and BvS UE and Patty’s Wonder Woman. Hopefully in 2020 we will get to see Zack Snyder’s Justice League and later down the track the Ayer Cut of Suicide Squad to fix the timeline. It’s kinda a given that we won’t see Snyder’s 5 part story arc that he had planned for Superman or see the return of Batfleck but atleast Ava’s New Gods can tie up the loose ends in Zack Snyder’s Justice League.

Reactions: GeoRattray
Wow...
They are changing the Title of movie (for in theaters) to:

HARLEY QUINN: BIRDS OF PREY

Wow didn’t see that one coming as I quite like the original theatrical title of how it uses a unique subtitle for Harley Quinn and how her story arc continues on from Suicide Squad. It’s such a shame that WB believes this is necessary to push sales as even though this was always a Harley movie Margot wanted to introduce lesser know woman DC characters into the universe and use this film as a platform to do so. Unfortunately though the GP simply don’t know the label Birds of Prey very well but do know Harley Quinn so can sorta understand the change but why the : in the new title? Shouldn’t it be Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey (n)

Wow didn’t see that one coming as I quite like the original theatrical title of how it uses a unique subtitle for Harley Quinn and how her story arc continues on from Suicide Squad. It’s such a shame that WB believes this is necessary to push sales as even though this was always a Harley movie Margot wanted to introduce lesser know woman DC characters into the universe and use this film as a platform to do so. Unfortunately though the GP simply don’t know the label Birds of Prey very well but do know Harley Quinn so can sorta understand the change but why the : in the new title? Shouldn’t it be Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey (n)

Totally. Most people aren't fans like us. A lot of the general movie going public don't know what "Birds of Prey" is. But they probably know the name Harley Quinn (maybe).

Yes it is up to the marketing to sell and inform which is a big sign that they didn't do a good job letting people know what this movie was.
I do find it funny that the studio thinks that a name change will solve the box office problem. LIVE DIE REPEAT anyone? haha

But maybe it will help? I hope it does.

Reactions: willbar84
Wow...
They are changing the Title of movie (for in theaters) to:

HARLEY QUINN: BIRDS OF PREY

Yeah… change the name after the movie is released… doesn't sound desperate at all....

Instead, they could have... I dunno... lift the embargo WAY before than the 3 days we got. Normally, when a studio knows that they've got something good on their hands, they lift this up earlier and the press do the marketing!
Love it or hate it, Rotten Tomatoes is a necessery evil. And most of the time, when the critics love Something, you better showcase it! Especially Something like this, when normal regular viewers (not like us) have NOT a single idea what Birds of Prey means…

Also, their marketing was horrible.
The posters… the bad/cheap photoshop… the first bad edited trailers...

Finally… called it a looonnnnng time ago… changing Harley's (Margot) look in this was a BAD move! Now we have numbers to prove this! :p
DyGf5wXUwAA8ve8.jpg

Last edited: