May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
3.67 star(s) Rating: 3.67/5 3 Votes
Title: Black Widow

Genre: Action, Science Fiction, Adventure

Director: Cate Shortland

Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, David Harbour, Rachel Weisz

Release: 2020-05-01

Plot: At birth the Black Widow (aka Natasha Romanova) is given to the KGB, which grooms her to become its ultimate operative. When the U.S.S.R. breaks up, the government tries to kill her as the action moves to present-day New York, where she is a freelance operative.

I don't see why, I wound up paying $30 to see it on Disney+ Premium Access. That's more than you would pay going to the theater. She should be happy that she was actually making double the profit. Oh well, good luck to her for going up against all of Disney's super lawyers,... she's gonna need it. I'm not rooting for Disney in way whatsoever but just saying is all.
Because most who pay 30 have several people watching it and once you get past 2 people, it’s less than the box office…esp in the first few weeks, when the studio gets most of the ticket price. TBH, i recall hearing months ago (maybe even last year) that disney couldn’t do this, because of their contract with Scarlett. I just assumed they’d renegotiated it before putting it on D+. I don’t understand why they didn’t just wait a month to do it. That would have given her the theatrical window and then people could spend 30 to watch it on a small tv without surround sound (in the vast majority of households).

Ah OK, see I wasn't aware of this info. Makes more sense now. Thanks :)
NP…but take what I say with grain of salt, because I can’t recall where I read/heard it. I think it was on Marketplace (Public radio financial show), but I’m not sure. i did see someone who allegedly has a relative from disney legal say that the relative thought they‘d argue about it in legal documents for a while until Scarlet gives them a number to make it all go away…if so, then i have to believe that the contract probably backs up Scarlet.

Reactions: Lone Crusader
Like the article says, Scarlett's lawyers accuse Disney of releasing it on Disney+ simultaneously to boost subscriptions to Disney+.
What I meant was why not wait a month to avoid the lawsuit. My guess is most that will watch at home aren’t going to to the theater anyway. And TBH, if I did join to watch BW, I’d probably dump it after a month…then again, I only sub to D+ about 1 month per year anyway. Just not enough content for me to subscribe all year. I could probably watch everything since last August in a month or less. I was going to sub in August, but now I’ll just wait for that Beatles Get Back docuseries, though that might mean too much content for one month.….i’ll just have to binge my butt off.

What I meant was why not wait a month to avoid the lawsuit. My guess is most that will watch at home aren’t going to to the theater anyway. And TBH, if I did join to watch BW, I’d probably dump it after a month…then again, I only sub to D+ about 1 month per year anyway. Just not enough content for me to subscribe all year. I could probably watch everything since last August in a month or less. I was going to sub in August, but now I’ll just wait for that Beatles Get Back docuseries, though that might mean too much content for one month.….i’ll just have to binge my butt off.

I know what you're saying. But the lawyers' thinking is that Disney's thinking is that offering Black Widow on Disney+ now instead of waiting a month (to avoid a lawsuit that they don't yet know is coming) will bring in more subscriptions from people who would rather watch it at home than go to the theater. That way Disney gets subscription money plus the $30 ticket purchase and they know some people will keep their subscriptions beyond a month.

If Disney waits a month, they know some people will choose not to wait and go to the theater to watch it instead and Disney will miss out on those subscriptions.