[CANCELED] Blade Runner 2049 (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No.?) [Hong Kong]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dchamp444

Dark Knight Blufans GB Survivor
Premium Supporter
Jul 7, 2016
Canada
Release date: TBA
Purchase link: TBA
Price: TBA

br2049.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the world really need another Blade Runner steelbook?

This is the problem with steelbook collecting these days, too many retailers bringing out too many versions of the same movie. What have we had so far, the Best Buy versions, zavvis version, hmv mondo and filmarenas in the pipe line and now Manta? Just seems over kill if you ask me. They'd do better in my opinion persuing a title that hasn't been released before or that has had limited releases

So, all the releases you mentioned are either NA or Europe.
Asia cares not a whit for those (except for some collectors) so releases from Manta, Kimchi (which was awesome) HDZeta and even BF (if they do so) makes perfect sense.
When you make a statement such as "does the world really need..." you may wish to consider what the "world" consists of...:)

Does the world really need another Blade Runner steelbook?

This is the problem with steelbook collecting these days, too many retailers bringing out too many versions of the same movie. What have we had so far, the Best Buy versions, zavvis version, hmv mondo and filmarenas in the pipe line and now Manta? Just seems over kill if you ask me. They'd do better in my opinion persuing a title that hasn't been released before or that has had limited releases
There was no zavvi version release
UK only had 2 steelbooks

1)HMV Mondo exclusive steelbook
2)Trade Wide steelbook available from all retailers

Zavvi sold the trade wide release same steelbook as all other UK retailers sold

Blade Runner 2049 sold a lot on home media
There will be more releases from Sony and Warner simply because it's a film suited to home media market as is Blade Runner 1982

Asia Market is huge compared to USA/Europe

Both Films will see re releases in next few years in various countries and sell well so get used to seeing lot more releases of both films

Every Year you get teens becoming adults and starting working and getting a wage
This is why you get re releases of films on home media regulary

Last edited:
So, all the releases you mentioned are either NA or Europe.
Asia cares not a whit for those (except for some collectors) so releases from Manta, Kimchi (which was awesome) HDZeta and even BF (if they do so) makes perfect sense.
When you make a statement such as "does the world really need..." you may wish to consider what the "world" consists of...:)

Oh yes I forgot about Kimchi etc, that adds even more to my point, everyone has had a punt at this film.. It is abit overkill.

Paul, admittedly I haven't followed this release as in depth as you hence why I forgot to mention the likes of Kimchidvd and HDZetas releases of this.so forgive me for getting the releases muddled up, all I knew is best buy brought out versions similar to zavvi and that zavvis were less favourable (from what I saw in snippets of discussion on here).

Oh yes I forgot about Kimchi etc, that adds even more to my point, everyone has had a punt at this film.. It is abit overkill.

Paul, admittedly I haven't followed this release as in depth as you hence why I forgot to mention the likes of Kimchidvd and HDZetas releases of this.so forgive me for getting the releases muddled up, all I knew is best buy brought out versions similar to zavvi and that zavvis were less favourable (from what I saw in snippets of discussion on here).
A lot of the other UK retailers sold out the trade wide steelbook
Zavvi just not sold out their allocation yet

Trade wide steelbook sold a huge amount in Europe a lot more than the mondo steelbook

The entire film is basically a moving piece of art, so you could simply grab a shot from it and it'd probably make a rather nice looking steel/slip IMO.

But anyway, this is a concept I actually started working on a while ago but couldn't be bothered to finish (the head on the back was causing me aggro lol) until now...

View attachment 365661
Just to prove my point, here's some super quick concepts I did using stills (with a few minor tweaks) just to give an example of how shots from the actual film could be used...

#120 Blade Runner 2049 (2) (SC).png
#120 Blade Runner 2049 (4) (SC).png
#120 Blade Runner 2049 (3) (SC).png
#120 Blade Runner 2049 (5) (SC).png

I was actually thinking the Japanese exclusive steelbook disproves your point, because I think that's a film image that isn't at all interesting as a cover image. Of the concepts you just posted (and I always so love your work!), I think the third one is nice (especially the back cover)--I've wished that the tree featured more in the steelbook art. The others don't particularly grab me. But then, you know by now that I've really picky about all this. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I was actually thinking the Japanese exclusive steelbook disproves your point, because I think that's a film image that isn't at all interesting as a cover image. Of the concepts you just posted (and I always so love your work!), I think the third one is nice (especially the back cover)--I've wished that the tree featured more in the steelbook art. The others don't particularly grab me. But then, you know by now that I've really picky about all this. ;)
Well, obviously not every still from the film will work lol. But personally I think the Japanese steel was just badly executed (bad/random text placement for a start). Can't say I'd noticed that you're generally "really picky" bud, but then I think a lot of us are when it comes to our beloved steelbooks. :wacky:

Thanks for the feedback! :)

lol you just super quickly put something together and what comes out are all stunning fake steelbooks :hilarious::rofl: very nice concepts buddy :cool:
To be honest, I've kind of surprised myself with how quickly I put these together lol. Although, after looking over them again I've spotted a few things I could improve... not that I'm going to though. :sleep: :p

Thanks buddy! :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Hereticz
Well, obviously not every still from the film will work lol. But personally I think the Japanese steel was just badly executed (bad/random text placement for a start). Can't say I'd noticed that you're generally "really picky" bud, but then I think a lot of us are when it comes to our beloved steelbooks. :wacky:

Just to be obnoxious, I was going to put together a mock-up using something like this:

blade-runner-2049-movie-photo024-1506446337896_1024w.jpg

With title treatment in Comic Sans or Papyrus... but I just don't have time today. ;)

The entire film is basically a moving piece of art
Couldn't have said it better. This is why i caught myself not blinking on multiple occasions during the entire 3 hr. :wow:
I mean, if you gimme a beautiful 24x36, I'd admire it for days. Imagine what this did to me. Visually, i was blown away to smithereens.

But yea, another awesome concept. If it was any other movie, that might be a ****** concept :LOL: But man, i want that steelbook so badly now!

as this’d be Sony release so 4K is the way to go...
• native 4K (not 2K upscale)
• Dolby Atmos mix (2D blu-ray is DTS-HD MA)
And the 4K UHD PQ/AQ are reference quality and the way the watch this film...

as this’d be Sony release so 4K is the way to go...
• native 4K (not 2K upscale)
• Dolby Atmos mix (2D blu-ray is DTS-HD MA)
And the 4K UHD PQ/AQ are reference quality and the way the watch this film...

The Sony release didn't get an Atmos track on the 2D Blu-ray? We had it on the Warner release here in the US. That's a shame that people got cheated on sound for both 2D Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray (5.1 lossy) abroad.

At the moment, I can't see anything beating FilmArena's art. But, Manta packages usually beat FAC hands down, so I guess I'll wait to see the art

• Thanks
Reactions: harry
they said they are waiting for copyright price to drop...it can happen who knows when, Blade Runner 2049 is one the most successful blu ray releases of 2018, so i don't see why studio would drop the price anytime soon.

Yeah I've got no doubt when this comes around they will doing a good package. However, this could take months or even years to come through and the steelbook art for the FAC release is great so I'm going to grab the E3 if I can through the GB. I'll then wait it out and see what Manta come up with

Status
Not open for further replies.