bigfub

Dreaming Dredd Ninja
Premium Supporter
Sep 13, 2012
Warwick, UK
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Blade Runner 2049

Genre: [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Denis Villeneuve[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Harrison Ford[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Ryan Gosling,[/ACTOR] Ana de Armas, Robin Wright, Jared Leto, Dave Bautista, Lennie James

Plot: Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what's left of society into chaos. K's discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years. [/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
aMpyrCizvSdc0UIMblJ1srVgAEF.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

From IMDB

Harrison Ford back for a sequel -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31657466

blade_runner.jpg
bladerunner2049.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone seen this yet?
First opinion?
6 hours to go until my viewing
Can't wait

Just got back from seeing it.

No spoilers.

I almost don't know how to describe how amazing it was. Everything from start to finish blew me away. I highly recommend IMAX if you can to really experience these stunning visuals.
Villeneuve is hands down the best working director in my opinion now (and I know Roger Deakins should get credit here too) the way this thing is shot is just so beautiful!

The plot I wont go in to. The less you know going in the better.

The film is LONG so be prepared for that. (make sure you use the washroom beforehand!!!)

Other then that I don't really want to get into much else for fear for spoiling it for anyone.
Can't wait to see what everyone else on here thinks!

EDIT:
OH and Ana De Armas is sooooooo yummy. :drool::drool::drool:

Last edited:
Went to watch it yesterday morning,got a football injury so I'm off work and went with my Dad.
The film is long running at 2 hours 43 minutes but like @kaw said use the washrooms beforehand.

Visually spectacular,impressive and great acting.
Anyone who is a fan of the original is gonna love this.

Top marks 10/10

Enjoy !!!!

:thumbs:

For those who have seen it already, is there any footage after the credits?

No scenes after the credits. :thumbs:

Still trying to make up my mind on the film. The best compliment I can give it is that along with the original, it doesn't really feel like a traditional studio picture. It's very slow and methodical (plodding at times, honestly) and is so self-assured in the power of pure silence and sustained imagery. It feels at its highest points like a natural extension of the original, with its own motivations beyond nostalgic cues (though there are of course a few of those) and existing purely for the sake of it. Plot feels quite dense and sidesteps solid definition (including Deck's is he or isn't he a replicant throughline) to leave room for for the viewer to draw their own conclusions. As impactful as the original? Well it's not really about seizing control of your associations to that film, 2049 is more a love letter to it and so time will tell how audiences measure it up alongside it. I do think however that K is a warmer character than Deckard and if I compare my memory of first viewing of 2049 to the original, I liked him alot more - I thnk alot of Drive superfans like myself will be naturally drawn along this line anyways because of the performance lol. Score has its moments too but is a bit too abrasive and... synthetic? Maybe that's the point. I just know it's not a patch on the Vangelis' original.

About as good as we could reasonably hope for I suppose if you wanted a full-blooded successor as opposed to a box ticking tourist run of 'show me stuff that's like Blade Runner! - you know the kind of sequels that get made 95% of the time. Somehow they pulled off a bit of a miracle and made a big budget art movie in this climate.

Only thing I hated was a certain CG character who just didn't look right to my eyes at all. :rofl:

So
Back from seeing this in the IMAX at Stevenage where I live.
They had it cranked so loud that the rear speakers were vibrating.
Still the guy next to me managed to have some snacks that were louder than the film

Being of an age and seeing the original at the cinema when it was released which has left a lasting impression on me I was not expecting for the original to be bettered in my opinion.

I still have that opinion after watching the sequel.
I prefer the original still

Blade runner 2049 was a definite IMAX watch.
The sound was incredible the cinematography was incredible
I have come out the Cinema not sure what I thought of it.
In the original i really felt for the replicants and Harrison Ford
In this version too much was obvious for me anyway

Most films I really like I can't wait to see again
This one not really
Maybe I need time to take it in I don't know

• Thanks
Reactions: Last Lizard and kaw
Only thing I hated was a certain CG character who just didn't look right to my eyes at all. :rofl:

(I'll try to be vague, but I'm going to go into slight spoilers. So DON'T READ if you haven't seen it)

I think I know which character you are talking about, and personally I thought she worked quite well. You compare it to what they did in Rogue One and this was way better IMO.
And I think in some was she wasn't suppose to not look exactly right. Something was suppose to be off about her.
Doesn't Deckard even say "Her eyes were green"?

• Thanks
Reactions: Last Lizard
(I'll try to be vague, but I'm going to go into slight spoilers. So DON'T READ if you haven't seen it)

I think I know which character you are talking about, and personally I thought she worked quite well. You compare it to what they did in Rogue One and this was way better IMO.
And I think in some was she wasn't suppose to not look exactly right. Something was suppose to be off about her.
Doesn't Deckard even say "Her eyes were green"?

True it's better than Rogue One but I think the personal discrepancy I have with it is the fact that I'm not big on CGI period. I think its too often overused as the entire foundation of many a director rather than as a tool. The thing here though is that I was really impressed by all the special effects (I know they tried to be as practical as possible) in the film. Possibly the most immersed I've ever been, giving myself over to the 'realism' of it. After just having seen real footage of her though I was taken aback by that uncanny valley moment. I'm not sure why they felt the need to use previous footage honestly it may have eased me in better without it and going straight to the CG model. Totally threw me out of the movie briefly. I'm just really picky I guess lol.

I did actually consider perhaps in some funny way, was it intentionally designed to break the fourth wall and make sure it looked just a bit off to us the way it did to Deckard. That might be too generous though. I feel if you can make it look 'more human than human' lol then you should go for it.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
Now this is a good interview. :LOL:

My mum often has this show on in a morning and Alison's interviews are one of the best things about it... I only caught a bit of this one on the TV, but seeing the whole thing was great! I don't think I've ever seen Ford enjoying himself so much lol.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
My mum often has this show on in a morning and Alison's interviews are one of the best things about it... I only caught a bit of this one on the TV, but seeing the whole thing was great! I don't think I've ever seen Ford enjoying himself so much lol.

ikr I was shocked he relinquished his standard grumpiness. I wish I had seen this before the movie I would have probably liked it even more lol. 'Never seen it' cracked me up. :rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
ikr I was shocked he relinquished his standard grumpiness. I wish I had seen this before the movie I would have probably liked it even more lol. 'Never seen it' cracked me up. :rofl:
Haha yeah, love her honesty! As for 2049... I'm dying to see it, but can't make it to the cinema any time soon unfortunately. :(

Just got back from the cinema after watching this in xplus at the Showcase.
Visually stunning and and very atmospheric. Much in the vein of the original.

Anyone know the difference between imax and xplus?

• Thanks
For IMAX the Aspect ratio opened up to 1.90:1 for the entire film.

I honestly don't know much about xplus, we don't have that here. Whats it like?

It's basically a big wall to wall screen with 360 degree sound system (dolby atmos), the sound was excellent. Im not sure how it compares to IMAX, although I believe we only have two full size IMAX screens in the UK (might be wrong) but plenty of smaller Imax screens. Confusing lol.

• Thanks
Ive never seen the original (I know, I know) do I need to have before seeing this?

Not entirely essential though I was trying to convince people around me who hadn't even heard of it (wtf EEK!) that it would surely only inform and enhance what they might take away from 2049. The last act deals rather heavily with its association to the original. The whole film does really... it echoes through the foundation that the original built while telling its own story.

• Helpful Post
  • Thanks
Reactions: lights and tommyh84
So since it's been confirmed to be a bit of a flop at the box office (I thought the marketing would push it harder but oh well not like the original was an immediate hit either) I think I'll be seeing it again tomorrow before they pull it from my local screens. :watch: