Blade Runner (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 40) [Hong Kong]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: November 10, 2021
Purchase links: Box Set - Full Slip - Lenti - Double Lenti (Pre-order on September 10, at 8 PM - Hong Kong time)
Price: $159.97 (Box Set) - $48.99 (Full Slip) - $49.99 (Lenti - Double Lenti)
Group buy: hosted by Aniv Box Set - Full Slip - Lenti - Double Lenti

Note: WEA, Exclusive Steelcase designed by Manta Lab features "Full Glossy" Finish and "Debossed Title".
Box Set: Scratch Resistance Coating, Spot Matte, Spot Glossy, Spot Foil, Embossing. 600 Sets, Numbered 1-600.
Full Slip: Scratch Resistance Coating, Spot Matte, Spot Glossy, Spot Foil, Embossing. 1000 Units, Numbered 1-1000.
Lenticular Full Slip: 3D Lenticular, Spot Matte, Spot Glossy, Embossing. 1000 Units, Numbered 1-1000.
Double Lenticular Full Slip: 3D Lenticular x 2 , Spot Matte, Spot Holo Coating, Embossing. 1000 Units, Numbered 1-1000.
Premiums: Booklet, Postcards, Character Cards, Envelope, Exclusive Numbering Sticker, Exclusive Release Front Sticker, Exclusive Release Lenticular Sticker, Tip On.

OCPackshot_2000x.jpgBR_overall_fs_2000x.jpgBR_overall_LFS_2000x.jpgBR_overall_DLFS_2000x.jpg

Last edited:
Group buys are great and the hosts do a great job for us. There will always be whiners who don't want to pay extra fees but still want a copy thus prefer going direct,
but the moment they miss out because they weren't fast enough they blame it on group buy allocation. Tough sh!t. You made your choice. Life goes on.

4644CB95-EECE-4C64-BD63-FD920510DD78.gif

I think group buys have their place, especially like this site, where it's seamless and the extra fees are more than reasonable. The issue is everyone and their great-grandmother are starting to hosts group buys on Facebook and Instagram an issue that did not exist years prior.

I think group buys have their place, especially like this site, where it's seamless and the extra fees are more than reasonable. The issue is everyone and their great-grandmother are starting to hosts group buys on Facebook and Instagram an issue that did not exist years prior.

@Mokum's grandmother was OOS, which other grandmothers are you referring to and I'll hit them up as well? :naughty:

Honestly I have always bought direct when I can. The last couple have been very sought after titles and not worked for my schedule. I was going to get up after less than 2 hours sleep and order this one and then also get up 1 hour later for the Grindhouse release but I just thought that was too much. So I bought both via GB.

GB help out for people like me and I am sure many others. It gives multiple times to maybe pick up what you want. For every person bitchin today that tried to buy direct and blame it on GBs remember that without GBs there is technically even more people that would be trying to score copies. I am guessing 5x the magnitude because NOONE would have a copy at that point and then this would totally become a BOT GAME only an no true collector would get one.

If a title means that much to you then there are ways to 100% guarantee that you get a copy. I wont walk you thru it but if fairly easy to figure out. I would never do it though because I dont want to support the behavior and everything that it stands for. If you want to pay $20-50 extra per title then sure you can always get a copy IMO. I try most times to buy at cost or atleast support things I belive in and support the actual community and sometimes I lose, ebay prices it is if I miss out but that is the fun and also the sorrow of the steelbook game. Love or hate it after almost 15 years of doing it I never regret anything. Its been a hell of a ride or die and I hope to do it for another 15 years.

Last edited:
Honestly I have always bought direct when I can. The last couple have been very sought after titles and not worked for my schedule. I was going to get up after less than 2 hours sleep and order this one and then also get up 1 hour later for the Grindhouse release but I just thought that was too much. So I bought both via GB.

GB help out for people like me and I am sure many others. It gives multiple times to maybe pick up what you want. For every person bitchin today that tried to buy direct and blame it on GBs remember that without GBs there is technically even more people that would be trying to score copies. I am guessing 5x the magnitude because NOONE would have a copy at that point and then this would totally become a BOT GAME only an no true collector would get one.

If a title means that much to you then there are ways to 100% guarantee that you get a copy. I wont walk you thru it but if fairly easy to figure out. I would never do it though because I dont want to support the behavior and everything that it stands for. I try much and sometimes I lose, ebay prices it is if I miss out but that is the fun and also the sorrow of the steelbook game. Love or hate it after almost 15 years of doing it I never regret anything. Its been a hell of a ride or die and I hope to do it for another 15 years.

I agree with most of this. And I’m all for GBs, I just wish the allocation was lower because I believe a lot should be saved for direct. Plus there are so many and certain GBs get a massive allocation. But I’m not actually against them. I’m against some hosts for shady practices and there’s a couple of them around. I’d never support those ones.

But the only part I don’t agree with is where you say if there was no GBs then technically more ordering direct whereas I see it a tad differently. Having big GBs gives an opportunity to the people who are greedy to order on the GB and then direct. Those are the nobheads that ruin it imo. And there’s loads of them. Then you have the guys who have ordered on the GB and then log in to the retailer on the pre order day just to see how it f**king goes causing more traffic. Also those walnuts

But you like a lot use GBs for a good reason. And the ones I have used in the past I’ve used them for the same reasons. We can’t make every pre order. But that’s my main issue. It should be smaller allocations to the many GBs and allow more of the stock for direct. You can still have GBs.

And I’m not moaning because I missed out. I ordered direct. I’m just saying

Got DL this morning

...in my cart and then it sold out :wtf:
Everybody had it in their cart. :LOL: That's how it works. They don't limit how many people can put an item in their cart.

10,000 people can put it in their cart. But only a certain number of people can make it through the purchase process.

For most people it's like a roach motel. You can check in...

Same discussions over and over again when a highly sought item sells out and there be people that are annoyed they couldn't source a copy.

The short version:
The truth is retailers don't really give a monkeys how they offload their stock. Get over it. The retailer decides to offload their copies in bulks so complain to the retailer.

If they can sell a huge bulk to various GB host that act as the middle man so they can make a little dough for their work and the retailer obsorbs less risk such as chargeback, fraud etc., they are happy. The moment it sells out on the spot it creates hype and demad and the after sale market prices are very important. They want to see their releases sell for silly money. It creates more demand on their future releases knowing that their stuff sells out in minutes.

If their stock is still available after days and days on pre-order and even on release date, who is going to want them? You want them to sell out instantly and it makes their stuff look like gold and for the re-sale market. It gives the retailer a strong reputable name knowing that their stuff can easily sell well by re-sellers, collectors and for anyone wanting to invest and scalp. They Don't Care...
If the third-party market is terrible it makes the retailer look weak in general.

Many collectors are resellers.
Many resellers are also collectors.

Scalping and reselling is all part of the game.

So what do you do? Live with it and learn to be smart in getting a copy and reduce the variance of what you can potentially pay.

You can't win them all...

I understand what you're saying. but some people like discussing and debating this topic over and over again. Others like reading the discussions for entertainment purposes. You can't have this discussion or debate this topic with a retailer by contacting them.

This is no different than politics. People on both sides will continue to debate over the same topics again and again until the end of time.

• Haha
Reactions: MM3 and DMD4k
Was just curious and I checked ebay and even by scalpers standards the prices they are asking for this are so OTT I'm astonished anyone is even bidding. It genuinely goes into Piss taking territory and I hope people are not stupid enough to pay that kind of money. Sorry it's just not worth it. Another few quid and you could buy a state of the art top of the range 4k player.

It's because it's Blade Runner and it's a SteelBook with the original poster. I think a lot of people remembered how fast the HDZeta edition sold out (a lot fewer copies...only 1 edition I know) and how much it was selling for on eBay afterwards.

So I believe even more people were ready for this Blade Runner release and I believe that there were probably even more people looking to buy and resell this time because of it. After all, it's not like the Group Buy or Direct Order prices have skyrocketed.

Look at it this way. If Bitcoin or Microsoft shares went on sale again at the original asking prices from back in the day, is there anybody who wouldn't try to get in on that?

I'm a fairly new user here. As of now I have never been part of a group buy because I didn't have the chance to (ok I could have joined the Blade Runner group buy, but I have never ordered directly so I wanted to experience that once too).
Before I joined this community I bought all my premiums from a private retailer. I paid 110$ without shipping for a single edition (Full Slip, SL, DL doesn't matter all were the same price). And I thought that was a fair price. And I still think it's not that bad considering you have a copy for sure, and compared to ebay prices it's still alot cheaper. And I don't regret paying so much, because I can enjoy all those editions at home now.
But damn the Blade Runner Full Slip in the group buy is just six dollars more than the direct price. That's luxury.
I know that if possible I'm going to buy all my future premiums in hidefninja group buys.
I think group buys are good for collectors. In my opinion it increases the chance of securing a copy by alot. And if it should happen that one doesn't succeed in a group buy, one can still try the direct order. So two shots at securing a copy.
Finally everyone needs to decide for themselves how much risk they want to take, in order to secure a copy.
I'll gladly pay 6$ more, when I paid 60$ more before :shipped:

I've always said that about Group Buys. I always use GB's when I want a premium edition from the retailers from Asia.

I agree ..
Exactly on point about over over allotment on GB. But hey if you pay extra $$$ and then pass that costs onto the GB participants to essentially rig the game then that is where we are.

And yeah its exaggerating when I say 5x more people for pre orders on site but the point is true. You only have 1 shot direct and its already a shitshow so if you drop all GBs then its certainly going to be even harder.

Reactions: milky and Flloydo
Exactly on point about over over allotment on GB. But hey if you pay extra $$$ and then pass that costs onto the GB participants to essentially rig the game then that is where we are.

And yeah its exaggerating when I say 5x more people for pre orders on site but the point is true. You only have 1 shot direct and its already a shitshow so if you drop all GBs then its certainly going to be even harder.
I agree in the future i will be get my copy here tryed and missed out on the DL on manta site which sold out in 1 minute and i was on time

I can never quite understand all the debate, but I have a simple view. The system is what it is, unless you can (or want) to change it.
I like going direct because delivery is often quicker. The GBs can be really useful for me, if out or popular buys like this and I appreciate the work people do as I don’t have time or will to do it myself.
I don't care what people charge for copies on EBay and the likes, I wouldn’t pay silly money unless I really wanted to. I’d be happy to go without an edition or enjoy hunting one down. The only reason these “scalpers” exist is because people are willing to pay the money. They’d soon come down if people didn’t.
It’s just the system for a film nicely packaged.
It is what it is,
Just work it the best you can :)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: You can't be serious.
Collectors could have shared their passion in the first 3 years of Manta Lab too, you know?

Yeah right. No, my bet (it's my gut feeling, I have no proof of it nor am I saying I'm absolutely correct) is that Manta has more exposure now than before precisely BECAUSE there are more GBs for their releases now than there were a couple of years ago. Period.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, for one, Manta releases sell out fast as of late, so they're doing that for them. I bet Manta appreciates that instead of releases that would take days to sell out.
They aren't now selling out faster because quality has improved, because it hasn't. If anything it's the same or slightly worse. They are selling out faster, and proper sellouts (no restocks or less of them with the following preorder), because they have more exposure. More exposure, more available to a wider amount of collectors thanks to GB = faster sellouts. It's really not that hard to grasp.

So you're implying that a regular collector is (or will get) tired of paying big bucks and that it will be widespread and scalpers will buy more copies? Why would they do that? Why would they tie up their money into a product that won't sell?
They are investing and profiting from the market because the demand is there, if it wasn't there they couldn't and wouldn't do it. That is exactly how supply and demand works. If scalpers take more copies than real demand there is don't worry, they won't be doing it for long.
And why is there more group buys and demand? Because of word of mouth, because collectors shared their positive opinions on forums, social media, their photographs, unboxing videos on YouTube, etc.
Also, what Chemartin_1 is saying, is if their releases will be constantly unavailable or/and selling for triple the price by scalpers, people will lose interest, and that can hurt the original producer, Manta, or Nova themselves. It's not a big possibility, but it's a chance, because nothing can expand continuously. Or it'll settle in an acceptable market range.
which guy said it wont sell out fast, because blade runner is an old movie and blah blah stuff?
That was me, but I only said it isn't as popular as Interstellar, so I hoped it wouldn't sell as fast.
I didn't take into consideration how much more popular MantaLab has become, and how many more group buys there are, because last three releases I bought, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Drive, and Tenet, all got direct without problems. Others after that, like WW84 and Interstellar, I didn't want and didn't try to buy, so I guess didn't know how much worse it got how quickly...

All this talk about group buys (which are useful and appreciated), resellers, Nike sneakers... Can we agree that no matter how many copies are available, if any one homosapiens takes 1 more, than they need, that's 1 person, that won't get it (at a good price)? If 3 is taken by scalpers, that's 3 times as bad. That's it!

I agree with most of this. And I’m all for GBs, I just wish the allocation was lower because I believe a lot should be saved for direct. Plus there are so many and certain GBs get a massive allocation. But I’m not actually against them. I’m against some hosts for shady practices and there’s a couple of them around. I’d never support those ones.

But the only part I don’t agree with is where you say if there was no GBs then technically more ordering direct whereas I see it a tad differently. Having big GBs gives an opportunity to the people who are greedy to order on the GB and then direct. Those are the nobheads that ruin it imo. And there’s loads of them. Then you have the guys who have ordered on the GB and then log in to the retailer on the pre order day just to see how it f**king goes causing more traffic. Also those walnuts

But you like a lot use GBs for a good reason. And the ones I have used in the past I’ve used them for the same reasons. We can’t make every pre order. But that’s my main issue. It should be smaller allocations to the many GBs and allow more of the stock for direct. You can still have GBs.

And I’m not moaning because I missed out. I ordered direct. I’m just saying
Every one of the 3 or 4 things you don't like in your message is up to the retailer.
Just mentioning one of them, you don't like the allocation given to different GBs, and you use that to criticize the GBs, not the retailer. That doesn't make any sense. It's up to the retailer surely... and if they're allocating more to GBs than before, there's a reason for it, the demand is there. And if the demand is there, why would they not sell?

Reactions: St4rlord
Every one of the 3 or 4 things you don't like in your message is up to the retailer.
Just mentioning one of them, you don't like the allocation given to different GBs, and you use that to criticize the GBs, not the retailer. That doesn't make any sense. It's up to the retailer surely... and if they're allocating more to GBs than before, there's a reason for it, the demand is there. And if the demand is there, why would they not sell?

I’m not getting into all this because it just gets boring and I’m no better for adding to it but I never once stated it’s not the retailers problem. Of course it is. And of course they are responsible. And I have criticised the retailer in the past. Most recently Nova. Yesterday. About grind house. So I’m not sure what the point of your post is because I’ve always held the retailer responsible. It don’t change my opinions on GBs. It’s still a GB. And like I’ve stated, I’m not angry at GBs as a whole. I don’t hate them.

And they all lived happily ever after.
The End

This steelbook was always going to sell out fast and even if there not been any group buys the outcome would been the same a fast sell out the only difference would been a few extra seconds to complete checkout and a lot that wanted to purchase would still missed out

Even the previous standard WWA steelbooks of Blade Runner 1982 sold out quickly and these was released in multiple countries

The same will happen if another WWA or WEA Blade Runner 1982 steelbook gets released as the demand will be there for a good while

Blade Runner has a huge cult following collector items connected to Blade Runner 1982 film always sells out

I passed on this release as I'm cutting back on having multiple editions in my collection I was for a brief momernt considering getting it but changed my mind before pre order
I already have 4K UHD release 3 times (2 of these are steelbook releases) and also have multiple previous Blu-ray and DVD releases

I will now only purchase Blade Runner 1982 again if it's a release with new disc extras or a release with new remastered video/audio

The booklet in this release I already have as that was included in the Blade Runner 4K Slipbox digipack Limited Edition and that also included all extras and and cuts of the films from previous releases

This release is nice in terms of the steelbook artwork but is only has the Final Cut and don't include the brilliant disc extras you get with previous releases so was not enough for me to be a must purchase
A year ago I would have purchased as back then I was purchasing most releases :rofl:
My bank balance is lot more healthier since I decided to cut back on purchases especially if it's a film I already have in my collection

This steelbook was always going to sell out fast and even if there not been any group buys the outcome would been the same a fast sell out the only difference would been a few extra seconds to complete checkout and a lot that wanted to purchase would still missed out

Even the previous standard WWA steelbooks of Blade Runner 1982 sold out quickly and these was released in multiple countries

The same will hapen if another WWA or WEA Blade Runner 1982 steelbook gets released as the demand will be there for a good while

Blade Runner has a huge cult following collector items connected to Blade Runner 1982 film always sells out

I passed on this release as I'm cutting back on having multiple editions in my collection I was for a brief momernt considering getting it but changed my mind before pre order
I already have 4K UHD release 3 times (2 of these are steelbook releases) and also have multiple previous Blu-ray and DVD releases

I will now only purchase Blade Runner 1982 again if it's a release with new disc extras or a release with new remastered video/audio

The booklet in this release I already have as that was included in the Blade Runner 4K Slipbox digipack Limited Edition and that also included all extras and and cuts of the films from previous releases

This release is nice in terms of the steelbook artwork but is only has the Final Cut and don't include the brilliant disc extras you get with previous releases so was not enough for me to be a must purchase
A year ago I would have purchased as back then I was purchasing most releases :rofl:
My bank balance is lot more healthier since I decided to cut back on purchases especially if it's a film I already have in my collection

That was quite long so I just have a few questions...

Will Blade Runner always sell out fast? Is it a cult film? Did you pass on this release? And lastly, I bet you don’t already own the booklet that comes with this.... or do you?

The same will hapen if another WWA or WEA Blade Runner 1982 steelbook gets released as the demand will be there for a good while

So you had it in your cart and didn't get to check out either, huh?