Blade Runner - The Final Cut (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Titans of Cult Exclusive #1) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: December 2, 2019 - June 20, 2022 (Re-release)
Purchase links: Zavvi - Amazon UK - WB Shop - HMV
Price: £29.99 (Zavvi - WB Shop ) - £34.99 (HMV) - £30.00 (Amazon)
Notes: Includes "Voight-Kampff" enamel badge and 2 coasters

70603409_130984624867422_6516860964280391576_n.jpg
FB_IMG_1569892592597.jpg IMG_20191025_170554.jpg 70266047_142559536999171_7024505719576050472_n.jpg 70890550_137734360846507_7576807810509067788_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere that they have their own design department advising clients on all aspects of bringing the creations to life.

Whilst that is usually the case, it was mentioned earlier in this thread by @Wreck that Titans of Cult is basically Scanavo who have someone on their team do all the designing.
I was pointing out the usual situation and contradicting the statement that this is business as usual for scanavo.
This is a new kind of venture from scanavo

I read somewhere that they have their own design department advising clients on all aspects of bringing the creations to life.
More to do with like telling them what may or may not look good on a steelbook in how its printed. Not by saying "hey your art sucks" But by saying you could leave out X color and let the metal shine through etc. So they advise on how to best print on the metal for the steelbook. They also handle the design work of taking the art most often and putting it on the digital proofs before ever goes to print etc. and it can also be intricate when putting in effort for the white layers etc. Just had a convo the other day on the Galaxy Quest steel and how the person being a fan of the movie spent many hours working on the white layer so the steel could be brought to life as much as it is. To some it may just be another good gloss steel, but there was effort behind that beyond the norm. Is all im saying.

That's what I love about collecting. Everything is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can see these guys put a lot of effort into the design and execution of this package. It's different from all that's gone before, and that's actually a pretty big deal. But for me, there is nothing to like. And that's the great thing. There doesn't have to be. Others will love it enough for it to be a success. So good on Titans of Cult for entering the game.
spot on and that's exactly what i've been thinking about this release... it's different, which is good but i'm not so crazy about it...

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
I’d love to have the job telling studios what could work with SteelBooks. Gloss and emboss everything! Or at least spot gloss and deboss.

• Haha
Reactions: Sigill and Noodles
Knew I'd read it somewhere and where better than from the manufacturer's blurb,

"Scanavo will help you through every step of the process to ensure that your SteelBook® products are the best they possibly can be. Our in-house team can provide feedback on your preliminary artwork, as well as ensuring that you have all the templates you need to ensure that your graphics can be optimally tailored to suit the SteelBook® edition’s layout.

Scanavo can also send you recommendations regarding colour choices, use of white layer, ideas for embossing and much more.

Our aim is to ensure your artwork delivers to its fullest potential. Once final artwork and finishes have been agreed and delivered, Scanavo will send you the final proof on a flat piece of steel for signing off. This way you can see the final effect of the colours, white layers and varnish before finalising ahead of the production run.

Working together we can ensure that your consumers will continue to be delighted with the incredible products that are released in the best home entertainment packaging solution."

• "
    Often produced in limited edition print runs, which makes them especially highly desirable with collectors, SteelBook® cases have a weight, precision and quality that is unlike any other packaging.
    There is no better canvas on which to showcase artwork, and film fans are thrilled when they discover the wonderful, often specially commissioned, designs that are used on SteelBook® editions.
    Not only are the artworks created for SteelBook® cases usually the most beautiful of any product released by distributors, but they often incorporate design attributes that only printing on metal can give.
    A unique aspect of SteelBook® packaging that makes it such an exciting product, is the ability to achieve an almost limitless array of incredible finishes.
    Three particular techniques that can be used to enhance SteelBook® cases are worth highlighting.
  • contact_decorations_banner.fit-to-width.940x.q80.png

Embossing/Debossing:
    Embossing or debossing part of the design into the steel can help provide a three-dimensional effect to the artwork. This can make the SteelBook® case even more beautiful and tactile.
    Use of White:
    With regular printing of artwork on paper, white is the base colour of the paper. However with SteelBook® cases the base colour is the metal layer of the steel itself. A white layer is usually first printed onto the steel before any other colours are applied.
    One of the most important techniques that can be used with SteelBooks® is to use the white layer in a creative way to enhance the design. If the SteelBook® case is intended to look metallic, or have areas where the metal needs to show through, then white is removed from those areas. Where the artwork needs to look bright and very colourful, then a very opaque white layer is used. By carefully varying the opacity of the white layer within the artwork, it is possible to create some truly amazing and unique pieces of art. When colours are printed onto the steel with no white layer underneath, they will take on a metallic sheen to them. The interaction between those three elements: the base steel, the white layer and the final colours printed on top, not only allows for an enormous level of creativity, but can play a vital role is how the final SteelBook® case is perceived by collectors.
    Scanavo’s creative team is happy advising you or your creative agency on how to best utilize the white layer in your artwork, to ensure the perfect final result.
    Varnish:
    Once the SteelBook® artwork has been printed, a final layer of varnish is applied to seal in the artwork.
    The choice of varnish applied will have a dramatic effect on colours. A gloss finish brings out brighter colours, and gives blacker blacks. Conversely a matte finish tends to create a subtler, more muted palette. Not only does the varnish dramatically affect the intensity of the colours, but it can have an impact on the tactile feel of the final SteelBook® product. Matt varnished SteelBook® cases for instance can feel wonderfully silky and sensual to the touch. Partial varnish options are also available, meaning, for instance, that a SteelBook® case that is mostly a matt finish could have selected elements given a gloss finish, which will highlight these further. Lastly, varnish techniques can be creatively used to apply a texture to the final design.
  • contact_design_team_banner2.fit-to-width.940x.q80.png

Some of the SteelBook® editions that have been most cherished by fans, are those that have used all these finishing techniques within their design.

Really like this new release from the pictures anyway.
Missed out on the previous set so a plain 4k Amaray sitting on my shelves
As HMV are now back online and I want them to stay have ordered from then with an instore delivery.
Hmv shop 3 miles from me so want to keep it open

Really like this new release from the pictures anyway.
Missed out on the previous set so a plain 4k Amaray sitting on my shelves
As HMV are now back online and I want them to stay have ordered from then with an instore delivery.
Hmv shop 3 miles from me so want to keep it open

They store won't get any money from the online order so make sure you buy a few things when you go in to pick up this steel