Bring Me the Head of Alfred Garcia (Twilight Time) [USA]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Purchase here

26733.jpg

BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA (1974) (BLU-RAY)
Starring: Warren Oates, Isela Vega, Gig Young, Robert Webber, Emilio Fernandez, Kris Kristofferson, Donnie Fritts
Directed By: Sam Peckinpah
Composed By: Jerry Fielding
“Extraordinary, a true and heartfelt work by a great director who endured despite, or perhaps because of, the demons that haunted him…I can feel Sam Peckinpah’s heart beating and head pounding in every frame.”
—Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times
“There are reservoirs of pure poetry in Alfredo Garcia…this magnificently depraved pièce de résistance.”
—Nick Schager, Slant Magazine

Reviled on its release, reassessed today as a masterpiece, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) is pantheon director Sam Peckinpah’s nihilistic yet poetic tale of Bennie (Warren Oates, iconically great), a wastrel sometime piano player lost in the wilds of Mexico. He and his beautiful, tragic lover (the fragile/strong Isela Vega) stumble across one last, perilous chance at happiness: in order to claim more money than they’ve ever dreamed of, all they have to do is retrieve the head of a wanted man. But the path to their ultimate escape is littered with dangers—some, of course, of the fatal variety. Gorgeously supported by Jerry Fielding’s poignant score, available on this Twilight Time release as an isolated track.

A note about the transfer: for those of you familiar with the foreign territory releases on blu-ray, this transfer is the same. There appears to be only one usable HD master, culled from the best available sources. The transfer is detailed, colorful, and sharp, but its one blemish is the recurring incidences of white speckling, also known as "minus density" (trademark, R.A.H!) Apart from that, it looks very good. It must be remembered that ALFREDO GARCIA was a low-budget, indie road movie, shot entirely on location in Mexico, and it remains unclear what the state of the original elements actually is, and whether or not any of them have survived in reasonable shape.

LANGUAGE: English
VIDEO: 1080p High Definition / 1.85:1
AUDIO: English 1.0 DTS-HD MA
SUBTITLES: English SDH
1974 / Color
112 MINUTES
RATED: R
REGION FREE

Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Audio Commentary with Writer-Producer Gordon Dawson and Film Historian Nick Redman / Audio Commentary with Film Historians Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, David Weddle, and Nick Redman / Passion & Poetry: Sam’s Favorite Film / A Writer’s Journey: Garner Simmons with Sam Peckinpah in Mexico / Promoting Alfredo Garcia / 6 TV Spots / Original Theatrical Trailer

Enjoy the extensive Julie Kirgo liner notes and film art packaged with the Blu-ray disc.

Limited Edition of 3,000 Units[/QUOYTE]

I have never seen this film but I remember as a kid it was always on TV a lot in the '70's or '80's.

I always thought the title was funny which is the reason I remembered it. At the time I was growing up in Toronto, the Toronto Blue Jays' shortstop was Alfredo Griffin and their second baseman was Damaso Garcia. Both were great players.

So as a kid I wondered if somebody had just combined their names for the title. Of course I realize now that wasn't possible.

I didn't know that it was directed by Sam Peckinpah though. Of course back then I had never heard of him.