Buster Keaton: 3 Films (Volume 3) (Blu-ray Limited Edition) (Eureka - Masters of Cinema) [UK]

Feb 29, 2020
England
Release date: August 24, 2020
Purchase links: Eureka - Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £29.99 (Eureka) - £31.04 (Amazon) - £25.99 (Zavvi)
Includes: Our Hospitality, Go West, College
Notes: Limited to 3,000

EKA70391_KeatonVol3_3D_hardcase_WEBSITE_500px.jpg

EKA70391_KeatonVol3_Full-Spread_WEBSITE_600pxWidth.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
awesome, we're really getting spoiled at the moment with these. :wow: and it's another Master of Cinema, also another restoration! :woot:

Reactions: MrSquifler
Haven't watched Go West and College yet. Better check it out:naughty:
i don't know Go West either, or Our Hospitality, so looking forward to it!

College is pretty entertaining (i have it on an older release), except for one scene i now skip, where Keaton wear's blackface to pretend to be a black waiter to try and earn some money. o_O it would have been 'acceptable' to the white cinema patrons of the day on release, but i won't watch that scene again. :stop:

College is pretty entertaining (i have it on an older release), except for one scene i now skip, where Keaton wear's blackface to pretend to be a black waiter to try and earn some money. o_O it would have been 'acceptable' to the white cinema patrons of the day on release, but i won't watch that scene again. :stop:
I can understand that.

For me, it's watchable as long as you understand the context. It's obviously racist but unfortunately, it was just widely accepted at that time. It's kind of like watching Birth of A Nation. It's an incredible film, but racist as sh*t.

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart

I understand that some people might find it uncomfortable to watch. But for me a lot of jokes like this depend on the context. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable because I think the target of the joke wasn't to make fun of or show any contempt to black people. So taking it too seriously might not be a good choice. But again... I probably would feel different and offended if I were black, that's something I'll never be able to find out.

I can understand that.

For me, it's watchable as long as you understand the context. It's obviously racist but unfortunately, it was just widely accepted at that time. It's kind of like watching Birth of A Nation. It's an incredible film, but racist as sh*t.
I understand that some people might find it uncomfortable to watch. But for me a lot of jokes like this depend on the context. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable because I think the target of the joke wasn't to make fun of or show any contempt to black people. So taking it too seriously might not be a good choice. But again... I probably would feel different and offended if I were black, that's something I'll never be able to find out.
agree with you both, it's not even an unfunny scene, either, i just can't watch it now, so i just skip that scene. personal choice, but not trying to take something made in 1927 too seriously or apply modern standards to it. i'm glad it wasn't cut from the release or the restoration (i assume), and i totally get the context when it was released. :thumbs: and it does not tarnish Keaton being easily one of my all time favourite people in cinema. :notworthy:

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Limited Edition Hardbound Slipcase [3000 copies]
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from new restorations undertaken by The Cohen Film Collection
  • Our Hospitality – new audio commentary by silent film historian Rob Farr
  • Our Hospitality – alternate shorter cut of the film [55 mins], with optional commentary by film historian Polly Rose
  • Go West – A new video essay by John Bengtson (Silent Echoes / Silent Traces / Silent Visions) on Go West’s filming locations
  • A new video essay by David Cairns
  • The Railrodder – the 1965 short film starring Buster Keaton in one of his final film roles
  • Optional audio commentary on The Railrodder with director Gerald Potterton and cameraman David DeVolpi
  • Buster Keaton Rides Again – the 1965 documentary about, and produced concurrently with, the filming of The Railrodder
  • Optional audio commentary on Buster Keaton Rides Again with director Gerald Potterton and cameraman David DeVolpi
  • MORE EXTRAS TO BE ANNOUNCED
  • A LIMITED EDITION 60-PAGE perfect bound collector’s book featuring; a new essay by Philip Kemp; writing on all three films by Imogen Sara Smith; archival material on the filming locations used for Our Hospitality courtesy of John Bengtson