Buying with Paypal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Steelbook Avenger
Premium Supporter
Feb 26, 2011
Lincolnshire, UK
Mods, really wasn't sure where this should go, so please move as appropriate :emb:

I recently bid for an item on ebay, but lost out to another buyer. Appears that buyer dropped out and the item was relisted. I didn't think the relisted price was that great, so I watched the item until it closed unsold.

I think contacted the seller to say I was interested in buying, but not at the price they'd listed.

They've responded with an agreeable price, but I'd expected them to relist as a buy-it-now item - instead they've asked me to buy direct through Paypal using the gift option.

The question (finally got there!;)) to those in the know, is, does this present any risk to me as a buyer? Are my rights the same as if purchasing an item through ebay?

The seller has good feedback and the £ at stake are small, but still keen to know what people think.

Thanks in advance :D

Moved your thread to here - I'm assuming it's a steelbook sale.

Anyway, there is MAJOR risk to you as a buyer. If you pay via the GIFT option, you will have no protection as a buyer from paypal. You are waiving your rights.

If something went wrong, you'll lose - there's no way to get your money back.

With e-bay, because there are all kinds of sellers on there - good, bad and folks in the middle, IMO, you really need to purchase through e-bay.

If anything goes wrong with the transaction, e-bay will reimburse you, 100%. You'll get your money back. You can still lose your money through paypal. There are ways around it. ;)

Unless it's a forum sale, with a trusted member here, I would not do paypal only.

In larger purchases, I often offer to pay the sellers paypal fees and send the payment as "goods".

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Antman
You're really helping me out tonight!! :)

Thanks for that, it's kinda what I thought, but wasn't 100% sure.

So far, I've only bought, as you suggest, from trusted traders here or on other forums and paid fees.

The guy on ebay has good feedback (well as trusted as that can be..), but think I'll ask him to post it as a buy-it-now or else I'll pass.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.