Man of Steel 2 [CANCELED]

From CBM:
The Wrap is reporting that Warner Bros. has actively started developing the long-rumored Man Of Steel sequel. The untitled project is still in its infant stages, so no further details were provided, but their source adds that: "Superman is a top priority for the studio and getting the character right for audiences is of tantamount importance." Now, that should be music to the ears of many comic book movie fans worldwide. Also, while not explicity stated, it can probably be assumed that both Henry Cavill and Amy Adams will reprise their roles as Clark Kent and Lois Lane, respectively.

As for a release date, WB already has two Untitled DC Films slated for October 5, 2018 and November 1, 2019, so if the Ben Affleck-directed Batman solo feature lands the October date, there's probably a decent chance the Superman sequel will arrive in November 2019.​

Loved the first MoS, so definitely excited for the sequel! I still think they should've done this before BvS though.

I agree, loved man of steel. Actually my favourite superman and I also agree that thsi should of been done before BvS

I was put off by him a little in BvS although he's slightly better in the ultimate cut.
Still soemthing off about him in it though

Kinda hope Snyder don't do this though even though I loved the way MOS was done, the look and visuals

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I agree, loved man of steel. Actually my favourite superman and I also agree that thsi should of been done before BvS

I was put off by him a little in BvS although he's slightly better in the ultimate cut.
Still soemthing off about him in it though

Kinda hope Snyder don't do this though even though I loved the way MOS was done, the look and visuals
MoS is my favourite Superman film, yet Reeves is still my favourite Superman.

I kind of know what you mean... he wasn't as interesting in BvS, but that's probably because they seemed to focus too much on trying to get Batfleck right.

I wouldn't mind Snyder directing again, but it would be interesting to see someone else have a go at it. Who do you think should direct?

MoS is my favourite Superman film, yet Reeves is still my favourite Superman.

I kind of know what you mean... he wasn't as interesting in BvS, but that's probably because they seemed to focus too much on trying to get Batfleck right.

I wouldn't mind Snyder directing again, but it would be interesting to see someone else have a go at it. Who do you think should direct?

I don't mind reeves but I find his ones so hard to watch now, especially now they can make these films like I imagine it lol

Yeah superman was soooo dull in BvS and some of cavils acting was awful. Liked him in the main fight with bats except his pathetic Yelp toward the end

He was really different to MoS supes and not even in the term of character development. It was like superman was a bit of a a*sehole

They defo focused more on bats and seems more of a batman film to me anyway. Which I kinda wasn't expecting and ended up enjoying his parts (but as a whole the ultimate cut is better IMO)

If Snyder made it like MoS I would be happy. Not the same but he managed to nail that film for me, same as watchmen (his greatest work) was soemthing really off with BvS, the visuals were not as good and the CGI had dodgy moments compared to MoS

I have no idea really. Someone different like the ex MACHINA director, edge of tomorow director or the prisoners guy (who's making blade runner, villenvue ) - names have gone from my head.

Maybe the edge of tomorow guy isn't the best example but tone wise those guys stick in my mind

You?

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Hell Yeah! :woot: AWESOME News! :thumbs:
tumblr_muw40jcDA01qmlfhvo1_500.gif

My BIG wish for Man of Steel 2 is an COLOR changing strategy!
Don't get me wrong, I love what Snyder does in term of imagery and all, BUT we need a BRIGHTER/COLORFUL Superman!!!

Here's an exemple (maybe not that much... but you get the idea):

IMO:
Batman = Anger, dark, gritty, black&grey
Superman = Hope, colorful, RED&BLUE!

I don't mind reeves but I find his ones so hard to watch now, especially now they can make these films like I imagine it lol

Yeah superman was soooo dull in BvS and some of cavils acting was awful. Liked him in the main fight with bats except his pathetic Yelp toward the end

He was really different to MoS supes and not even in the term of character development. It was like superman was a bit of a a*sehole

They defo focused more on bats and seems more of a batman film to me anyway. Which I kinda wasn't expecting and ended up enjoying his parts (but as a whole the ultimate cut is better IMO)

If Snyder made it like MoS I would be happy. Not the same but he managed to nail that film for me, same as watchmen (his greatest work) was soemthing really off with BvS, the visuals were not as good and the CGI had dodgy moments compared to MoS

I have no idea really. Someone different like the ex MACHINA director, edge of tomorow director or the prisoners guy (who's making blade runner, villenvue ) - names have gone from my head.

Maybe the edge of tomorow guy isn't the best example but tone wise those guys stick in my mind

You?
Haha yeah, the Reeves films are pretty cheesy, but I grew up with them and they're what first introduced me to Superman, so I'll always love them! :)

He did come across as quite dull overall, and yeah... even Cavill seemed bored in some scenes (I wouldn't put it down to bad acting though). Obviously with a film like this, people go in to it already rooting for their favourite character, so I suppose we instantly dislike the other characters they're up against.

I was always on team Supes, so I found him likeable enough and actually saw Batman as the one in the wrong to begin with. Same thing with Civil War... if you were rooting for Cap Am, then you'd obviously think Iron Man was the enemy, and vice versa.

I didn't notice any issues with the CGI in BvS, but I need to watch it again. Watchmen is without a doubt my favourite Snyder film, and I actually just rewatched it again the other night... the CGI has definitely begun to age in that, although it still looks pretty great!

I'd honestly not even thought about it until I asked you... Liman (Edge of Tomorrow, Bourne Identity) is a good shout though! This would never happen, but I'd love to see Nolan do a Supes film. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
I thought BvS was a kind of Man Of Steel 2. I love Man Of Steel, so I would like to see another Superman solo movie.

From Hollywood Reporter:

Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up (Exclusive)

cavill_superman_out_11.jpg

The DC cinematic universe appears to be losing its Man of Steel.

Henry Cavill, who has played Superman in three films, is parting ways with Warner Bros., sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Though neither side is confirming, the British actor, who first donned the blue suit for 2013's Man of Steel, and then starred in 2016's Batman v. Superman and last year's Justice League, is said to be hanging up the red cape.

Warners had been trying to enlist Cavill, who most recently co-starred in Mission: Impossible — Fallout, for a Superman cameo in Shazam!, which stars Zachary Levi and will bow April 5. But contract talks between Cavill's WME reps and Warners broke down, and the door is now closing on other potential Superman appearances.

That's because the studio has shifted its focus to a Supergirl movie, which will be an origin story featuring a teen superheroine. This effectively removes an actor of Cavill's age from the storyline's equation given that Superman, aka Kal-El, would be an infant, according to DC lore.

Furthermore, Warners isn't likely to make a solo Superman film for at least several years, according to another source. "Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors," says a studio source. As such, Cavill will join Ben Affleck, who isn't expected to reprise his role for director Matt Reeves' forthcoming Batman stand-alone film, as a hero on the way out.

A Warners source says the Shazam! deal fell apart because of scheduling conflicts. And that is backed up by the fact that Cavill recently signed on to star in the Netflix series The Witcher. However, another source says that the Witcher commitment came after the Warners impasse, suggesting a change in Warners' strategy.

"There's a recognition that some parts of the previous movies didn't work," says the studio insider. Another source says Warners is trying to hit a "reset" button with the DC universe, steering its ship slowly into another direction.

While Affleck and Cavill are segueing out, others who were seen together onscreen in Justice League are carrying forward. Gal Gadot is returning for Wonder Woman 1984, to hit theaters in November 2019. Jason Momoa headlines a solo Aquaman movie this December. And Ezra Miller remains on board to star in a Flash movie, which is due to shoot in early 2019.

Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara and chairman of Warner Bros. Pictures Group Toby Emmerich are looking to reinvigorate the studio's DC Universe, which is still playing second fiddle to the Marvel Universe in terms of box office and critical acclaim. Just six years ago, when The Dark Knight Rises closed out the Christopher Nolan trilogy, DC was the superhero team with the mojo. But so far, only Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman spinoff has lived up to the promise of the franchise.

What Warners hasn't done is wiped the slate clean in one fell swoop, something that is nigh impossible to do given the years of planning that goes into these films. When asked about the studio Sept. 6 at an investor conference, new WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey said, "Hats off to Kevin and Toby and their team." But he also took a shot at DC. "Some of our franchises, in particular at DC, we all think we can do better."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Drum18
From Hollywood Reporter:

Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up (Exclusive)

cavill_superman_out_11.jpg

The DC cinematic universe appears to be losing its Man of Steel.

Henry Cavill, who has played Superman in three films, is parting ways with Warner Bros., sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Though neither side is confirming, the British actor, who first donned the blue suit for 2013's Man of Steel, and then starred in 2016's Batman v. Superman and last year's Justice League, is said to be hanging up the red cape.

Warners had been trying to enlist Cavill, who most recently co-starred in Mission: Impossible — Fallout, for a Superman cameo in Shazam!, which stars Zachary Levi and will bow April 5. But contract talks between Cavill's WME reps and Warners broke down, and the door is now closing on other potential Superman appearances.

That's because the studio has shifted its focus to a Supergirl movie, which will be an origin story featuring a teen superheroine. This effectively removes an actor of Cavill's age from the storyline's equation given that Superman, aka Kal-El, would be an infant, according to DC lore.

Furthermore, Warners isn't likely to make a solo Superman film for at least several years, according to another source. "Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors," says a studio source. As such, Cavill will join Ben Affleck, who isn't expected to reprise his role for director Matt Reeves' forthcoming Batman stand-alone film, as a hero on the way out.

A Warners source says the Shazam! deal fell apart because of scheduling conflicts. And that is backed up by the fact that Cavill recently signed on to star in the Netflix series The Witcher. However, another source says that the Witcher commitment came after the Warners impasse, suggesting a change in Warners' strategy.

"There's a recognition that some parts of the previous movies didn't work," says the studio insider. Another source says Warners is trying to hit a "reset" button with the DC universe, steering its ship slowly into another direction.

While Affleck and Cavill are segueing out, others who were seen together onscreen in Justice League are carrying forward. Gal Gadot is returning for Wonder Woman 1984, to hit theaters in November 2019. Jason Momoa headlines a solo Aquaman movie this December. And Ezra Miller remains on board to star in a Flash movie, which is due to shoot in early 2019.

Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara and chairman of Warner Bros. Pictures Group Toby Emmerich are looking to reinvigorate the studio's DC Universe, which is still playing second fiddle to the Marvel Universe in terms of box office and critical acclaim. Just six years ago, when The Dark Knight Rises closed out the Christopher Nolan trilogy, DC was the superhero team with the mojo. But so far, only Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman spinoff has lived up to the promise of the franchise.

What Warners hasn't done is wiped the slate clean in one fell swoop, something that is nigh impossible to do given the years of planning that goes into these films. When asked about the studio Sept. 6 at an investor conference, new WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey said, "Hats off to Kevin and Toby and their team." But he also took a shot at DC. "Some of our franchises, in particular at DC, we all think we can do better."

So, this is absolute B.S. Take the best live-action Superman you've had since Christopher Reeve and scrap him because his age won't jive with the Supergirl movie that's suddenly all important (not that that's stopping them from having multiple actors play the Joker). Man, between the Disney debacle and now this, it's like studios are trying for me to not give a crap about their future superhero films.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database