Cellphones - 4th gen Iphone=Mega Hotness?

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
So any of you guys phone aficionados? I am always looking at the new stuff that's coming out, I always like carrying something new not for flashing or anything I just love tech :)

I am going to make this thread for everything that has to do will mobile technology so anyone is welcome to contribute!

Apple iPhone
As an iPhone user obviously I am waiting for OS 3.0 which should be a nice change of pace, they are adding features which should have been there since day one! So the new OS update is in beta stages and it seems like hackers are already all over it as it has been jailbroken :) I personally don't do it.

Link for Jailbroken 3.0 article

Iphone.png

(This is my home screen BTW!)

Palm Pre
So Palm has worked up their own OS and is prepping and a release along with new hardware. I can't reveal my sources yet since I am under NDA, but I got to say that the new Palm phone is sweet! it's fast for now there's some stuff that needs to be worked on. There are some nice features that I am digging on this phone the only problem I really find is that it will only go to Sprint, I am not big on Sprint specially around where I live the service is a bit overpriced and I am not willing to make that plunge. Palm has some sweet features up their sleeves though I talked to the designer last Friday and yeah these guys are excited to see their ideas come to reality :)

pre-video-part-2-rm-eng.jpg

Link

So far the applications I've played with are cool and reliable, it's able to multitask without a problem! I am sure all Palm lovers will find this little toy fascinating!

I'll be back with more phones later!

Last edited:
it would be to their benefit to somehow get the zune player or some of the features implemented into WinMo for smooth media playback! I am sure they can do it.

pcworld.com/article/163110/job_ad_microsoft_looking_to_offer_windows_mobile_updates.html said:
Just days after customers complained on a Facebook discussion about the lack of software updates to Windows Mobile phones, Microsoft published a job ad for a developer who will build an update process for the operating system.

"Have you wished to see your Windows Mobile phone with new features 'magically' show up without you buying a new one?" reads the job ad, posted on Microsoft's career site and first spotted by Ars Technica.

The job description indicates that Microsoft is developing a way to push updates out to Windows Mobile users. "Our goal is to enable customers to anticipate and enjoy a predictable stream of new and improved capabilities for their Windows Phone via a Device Update service that is worry-free and easy-to-use," the job posting says.

The software update process is an issue for Windows Mobile users, who compare their experience with that of users of the popular iPhone. When the iPhone gets an operating system upgrade, existing users can download it to their phones for free. By contrast, Windows Mobile users typically have to buy a new phone to get the software update. Sometimes a few handsets are capable of receiving the upgrade, but even then the process is often cumbersome because the update comes from a user's mobile operator, not Microsoft.

Competition from the likes of Apple appears to be driving Microsoft's efforts. "With the mobile industry's strong growth and several competitors playing in the field, we are going to have a challenging but fun time to show customers what Windows phones can become in the next few years," according to the ad.

Customers recently complained about the Windows Mobile update situation when Microsoft invited them to ask questions in a discussion on the Windows Mobile Facebook page. "Why is the next version of Windows Mobile never offered as an upgrade?" Benjamin Rivera Jr. asked as part of the discussion. He was one of many people who posed similar questions.

Microsoft did introduce an update system with Windows Mobile 6.0. When announced in early 2007, Microsoft said it was designed mainly to push out security fixes in the case of a mobile virus. But perhaps since mobile viruses so rarely surface, many users say they've never noticed any updates to their phones.

Microsoft did not immediately respond to a request for additional comment on its update plans.

update

technewsworld.com/story/it-management/66804.html said:
Application creators can get an early look at the software developer kit (SDK) for Android 1.5, the next version of the mobile operating system, according to Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) More about Google.

Based on the "Cupcake" branch from the Android Open Source Project, the SDK has application programming interfaces (APIs) for new features, including soft keyboards. Android phones with the new operating system could challenge the iPhone.

Google has also changed the developer tools as well as the structure of the SDK so that it includes multiple versions of the Android platform. For example, the new SDK includes Android 1.1 and 1.5.

Google, however, has in some ways been relatively slow to crack the mobile phone market, and competition and politics could make things tough for Android.
Android 1.5 SDK Features

The preview release of the Android 1.5 SDK is based on the Cupcake development branch, a private branch of the Android Open Source Project. Most of the Cupcake source code is already available as open source More about open source now, Google spokesperson Carolyn Penner told LinuxInsider.

The Android 1.5 SDK is based on a new Linux kernel, version 2.6.27.

While Android 1.5 has not yet been finalized, meaning it could be changed, perhaps its most impressive feature currently is its on-screen soft keyboard, which works in both portrait and landscape orientations.

"The soft keyboard is the biggest feature that will make a difference to developers," Yankee Group analyst Carl Howe told LinuxInsider. "That means you can have a pure touch device, unlike the Android G1, which has a fold-out keyboard."
Taking On the iPhone?

Through its support for accelerometers, its stereo music capabilities, and its video capture features in the 1.5 SDK, Android could close in on Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL) More about Apple iPhone, according to Yankee Group's Howe.

The 1.5 SDK includes accelerometer-based application rotation capabilities, which opened new doors for device design when the iPhone introduced them.

Through Bluetooth More about Bluetooth A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), the Android SDK 1.5 offers Bluetooth support for essentially high-quality music stereo headsets, going beyond what the iPhone offers. "They're stealing a march on the iPhone by offering a music headset with high-quality stereo," Howe said. "The iPhone's Bluetooth support [is] very much oriented towards a phone headset."

However, the iPhone will support A2DP in the next version of its operating system, expected to be released summer.

"The soft touch keyboard, accelerometer support and video capture will make Android phones more complete and worthy competitors to the iPhone," Howe said.
Leveraging Google

Users can batch actions, such as archive, delete and label on Gmail messages. They can also upload videos to YouTube More about YouTube and photos on Picasa.

In addition, users can view their Google Talk friends' status in the Contacts, SMS, MMS, Gmail and e-mail applications.
Changes to the SDK

Future releases of the Android SDK, including 1.5, will include multiple versions of the Android platform, Google said. The latest SDK, for instance, includes both Android 1.1 and 1.5.

This lets developers target different versions of the platform from one SDK so they won't have to develop applications twice. Future Android SDK releases will also let developers install SDK add-ons to access extended functionality from original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), carriers or other providers, Google said. SDK 1.5 has an add-on which provides support for the Google Maps API. That API was embedded in the core SDK in earlier versions.

Google warns that APIs for Android 1.5 have not been finalized and that some changes could be made before the final release, scheduled for the end of April. It asks developers not to release applications based on this early-look SDK.
Eating Others' Dust?

When announcing Android in 2007, Google said that the first mobile phones would hit the market in late 2008. So far, only T-Mobile USA More about T-Mobile carries an Android phone, the G1, in the United States.

One reason is because carriers don't want to be shut out of the earnings, IDC analyst Will Stofega told LinuxInsider "The operators are very worried about what happens in terms of revenue; they don't want to just collect data charges and not get a good cut of the share of profits from mobile handsets," he explained.

Another reason is the huge earnings potential for mobile platforms. "This battle over the mobile phone platform is one of the holy wars of computing," Jim Ready, chief technical officer and cofounder of embedded Linux operating system vendor MontaVista, told LinuxInsider. "Sales are driven by applications -- remember there's been 1 billion downloads from the Apple App Store -- so there's a maniacal focus on the platform." .

Update #2

Verizon's got a lot of work to do before it lights up its next-gen LTE network in 2010, and things are beginning to move along: the company just released the first set of specs for device manufacturers as part of its Open Development Initiative. It's still a rough draft, but there are a few big-picture tidbits buried in the dense jargon -- the LTE network will start out as a data-only service, and right now devices aren't required to support CDMA at all, which is a pretty bold move. That certainly makes sense as Verizon's test networks go live in the next few months, but the company's has already said that phones will be available at launch, so we're guessing things are going to change quickly as time marches on -- 60Mbps mobile downloads, here we come.

I hope every carrier moves to better faster service! :)

sidekick-lx-2009-hands-on-main-sm-2.jpg

Sound familiar? Indeed, this isn't the first time T-Mobile has offered a Sidekick LX -- but much like last year's simply-named Sidekick, the carrier is once again carrying forward branding while totally revamping the hardware. The 2009 edition of the Sidekick LX is thoroughly new and pretty much nails every item on every Sidekick fan's wishlist: GPS, 3G data, an absolutely glorious 3.2-inch full wide VGA display, and super-tight integration with Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace. You've also got a 3.2 megapixel AF camera with LED flash, microSD expansion (T-Mobile throws a 1GB card in the box), video recording and playback (including YouTube access), stereo Bluetooth, quadband EDGE, and HSDPA 2100 for high-speed coverage when you're galavanting around Europe. The ace up T-Mobile's sleeve, though, might be Exchange ActiveSync support, which will be coming via the on-device software catalog shortly after launch. It's available for pre-sale to current T-Mobile customers starting today -- everyone else will have to wait until May 13 -- but either way, you'll be paying $199.99 after rebate on contract in your choice of "carbon" or "orchid" finishes. Check out all the snazzy photography below -- and follow the break for our quick first impressions of the phone.

I never really understood what the big deal on Sidekicks were :)

htc-touch-pro2-2.jpg

HTC's been pretty coy with pricing on the Touch Pro2 and Touch Diamond2, but now that units are starting to trickle out overseas, the numbers situation is getting slightly clearer. HTC's just announced that an unlocked Pro2 will set Singaporeans back S$1,328 ($887), while a Diamond2 will hit 'em up for S$1,088 ($726) -- a little more than in Taiwan, but probably close to what we'll see off-contract in the States. A little rich for our blood, though -- let's hope T-Mobile cleans the goo off soon.

Source: Engadget Mobile

That's pretty steep price! EEK! I like those HTCs though but not enough to fork out so much cash!

Well hey -- it looks like Windows Mobile 6.5 will arrive a little earlier than expected. A post on the WinMo team blog says that the update to Redmond's smartphone platform will officially launch on May 11, the first day of the Tech Ed conference. We're figuring that could mean we'll see the gold build demoed for the very first time, seeing how the version showed off at the glamorous MWC launch was described as an "alpha" cut. Of course, after that it's all up to the carriers and handset manufacturers as to when we'll actually see the OS loaded onto devices, but we're sure the hacking community will find a way to satiate the impatient until then -- or until Windows Mobile 7 comes out.

Source: Engadget

Looks like 6.5 is "officially" out. Hasn't it been out already? or is that 6.1?

There's a mild chance that Sony Ericsson CEO Hideki Komiyama has been hitting the sauce just a wee bit too hard of late, but we're guessing it's mostly just an inability to comprehend his own company's situation. As SE pushes out awful report after awful report, the company's head honcho has just revealed that it'll be some time yet before it hops on the Android bandwagon -- as if it really has time on its side. In an interview with Reuters, he stated: "[Going Android] does require a lot of evaluation, as well as a lot of testing, a lot of acceptance from a consumer viewpoint, and there is still some time to go." He did confess that "looking ahead," he viewed it as an "important operating system," but he definitely gave no indication that we'd see an Android-based SE handset in the near future. Which is strange, really, considering that we'd already heard it would produce one during this calender year...

Source: Engadget Mobile

Not sure if this is a very good move on their part, the company is very shaky plus they haven't really been good on revenue. Perhaps a new route might help them out.

so the code name is a kaiser, like a roll.. hmm seems out of my comfort zone, i'd only do it if she complains alot about it, i also need to do some more reading.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/20/atandt-likely-skipping-14-4mbps-moving-straight-to-hspa/

While it puts the finishing touches on its nascent 7.2Mbps upgrades and starts certifying devices to use it, AT&T has revealed a juicy tidbit: that's probably the end of the line for old-guard HSPA on the country's largest GSM network. Before LTE, though, AT&T plans on upgrading to HSPA+ which should bring 21Mbps speeds out of the gate; straight-up HSPA is theoretically capable of moving to 14.4Mbps, but AT&T says that it's had technical difficulties in maxing it out and HSPA+ equipment is now ready for implementation anyhow. Simultaneously, the company says it's adding additional carriers at cells on a case-by-case basis to help with white-hot demand and is upgrading its backhaul network to handle the blazing speeds promised by the newer standards. We'll see.

should go nicely with the phone i'm buying later this year :scat:

kinda sad my phone will be faster than my home connection