Lenny Nero

Cossack
Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2013
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Choose or Die (2022)

Genre: Horror, Thriller, Drama

Director: Toby Meakins

Cast: Asa Butterfield, Iola Evans, Eddie Marsan, Robert Englund, Kate Fleetwood, Ryan Gage, Angela Griffin, Joe Bolland

Release: 2022-04-15

Runtime: 84

Plot: In pursuit of an unclaimed $125,000 prize, a broke college dropout decides to play an obscure, 1980s survival computer game. But the game curses her, and she’s faced with dangerous choices and reality-warping challenges. After a series of unexpectedly terrifying moments, she realizes she’s no longer playing for the money but for her life.

Wow, what a gem for the 'older' generation, a kind of 'retro' horror intertwined with gamers of the 80's. Basically a Ringu concept, but instead of a VHS tape, an audio cassette with a game. Current teenagers probably don't even know games could have been loaded with sounds played back from a basic audio cassette, making 'noises' like an early dial-up modem.
Even though it were the 90's for me, and I already had a Sega Mega Drive console, I used to play a few such games at a friend's apartment, who had a bunch of such copied pirated text game quests with basic graphics.
So, anyway, the movie uses that concept freely, music is great, both the songs used, and original score, and even though some deaths weren't imaginative enough, the idea itself, and what it leads to at the end, makes me excited at the possibilities, and an infinite amount of sequels that can be made! Hope we get 9 more, but I don't think this one will be popular enough.

Reactions: komor
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database