Citizen Kane (Criterion Collection) (4K + Blu ray Digipak) [USA]

C.C. 95

The Snarky Assassin
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2014
The Land, OHIO - U.S.A.
Release Date: November 23, 2021
Prices and Links:
Criterion- $47.96 (4K+Blu ray), $39.96 (Blu ray only)
Amazon- $59.95 (4K+Blu ray)
DiabolikDVD- $41.99 (4K+Blu ray)
D0892A61-8ECD-4ADF-B3DC-B0F9EE90F635.jpeg

Director: Orson Welles
Writers: Orson Welles, Herman J. Mankiewicz, John Houseman
Starring: Joseph Cotten, Dorothy Comingore, Agnes Moorehead, Ruth Warrick, Ray Collins
  • United States
  • 119 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 1.37:1
  • English
1BE96D0A-97D1-48C7-A84A-0ECE71C7473C.jpeg

In the most dazzling debut feature in cinema history, twenty-five-year-old writer-producer-director-star Orson Welles synthesized the possibilities of sound-era filmmaking into what could be called the first truly modern movie. In telling the story of the meteoric rise and precipitous fall of a William Randolph Hearst–like newspaper magnate named Charles Foster Kane, Welles not only created the definitive portrait of American megalomania, he also unleashed a torrent of stylistic innovations—from the jigsaw-puzzle narrative structure to the stunning deep-focus camera work of Gregg Toland—that have ensured that Citizen Kane remains fresh and galvanizing for every new generation of moviegoers to encounter it.

C726CDB1-54EC-4246-AB17-388A6CDABF1D.jpeg

SPECIAL FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and three Blu-rays with the film and special features
  • Three audio commentaries: from 2021 featuring Orson Welles scholars James Naremore and Jonathan Rosenbaum; from 2002 featuring filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich; and from 2002 featuring film critic Roger Ebert
  • The Complete “Citizen Kane,” (1991), a rarely seen feature-length BBC documentary
  • New interviews with critic Farran Smith Nehme and film scholar Racquel J. Gates
  • New video essay by Orson Welles scholar Robert Carringer
  • New program on the film’s special effects by film scholars and effects experts Craig Barron and Ben Burtt
  • Interviews from 1990 with editor Robert Wise; actor Ruth Warrick; optical-effects designer Linwood Dunn; Bogdanovich; filmmakers Martin Scorsese, Henry Jaglom, Martin Ritt, and Frank Marshall; and cinematographers Allen Daviau, Gary Graver, and Vilmos Zsigmond
  • New documentary featuring archival interviews with Welles
  • Interviews with actor Joseph Cotten from 1966 and 1975
  • The Hearts of Age, a brief silent film made by Welles as a student in 1934
  • Television programs from 1979 and 1988 featuring appearances by Welles and Mercury Theatre producer John Houseman
  • Program featuring a 1996 interview with actor William Alland on his collaborations with Welles
  • Selection of The Mercury Theatre on the Air radio plays featuring many of the actors from Citizen Kane
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: Deluxe packaging, including a book with an essay by film critic Bilge Ebiri

Original Theatrical Trailer:

Last edited:
@C.C. 95 DiabolikDVD has this as the cheapest compared to the other websites you have listed.

Two of the titles I'm interested in i suspect will come to the UK soon. Red Shoes is Studiocanal so I think we'll see a UK release very soon and A Hard Day's Night has already had an HD release in japan so it'll be a UK release by another label as Criterion don't have the European rights.

@C.C. 95 DiabolikDVD has this as the cheapest compared to the other websites you have listed.

Will be interesting to see if this releases in time for the Barnes & Noble 50% off sale in November. That (and the same sale in July) is generally the only time I buy Criteria.

Does the 4K/blu-ray combo mean Criterion is finally retiring DVD releases?

Will be interesting to see if this releases in time for the Barnes & Noble 50% off sale in November. That (and the same sale in July) is generally the only time I buy Criteria.

Does the 4K/blu-ray combo mean Criterion is finally retiring DVD releases?
You won't see their 4k releases on any sales, that's 100% guaranteed.

Where was this info?
4k is very expensive to produce and they need to shift a serious amount at full price to get any return. They are not going to have any on sale for a long long time if ever..... I don't know any company that's a vanity label that has had sales on 4k. Every single 4k disc I've purchased has been full price. I get sales on studio titles yep but not vanity labels. I just checked all of my vanity buys, not one sale reduction and most sell out.... Arrow in particular.

4k is very expensive to produce and they need to shift a serious amount at full price to get any return. They are not going to have any on sale for a long long time if ever..... I don't know any company that's a vanity label that has had sales on 4k. Every single 4k disc I've purchased has been full price. I get sales on studio titles yep but not vanity labels. I just checked all of my vanity buys, not one sale reduction and most sell out.... Arrow in particular.
Well, we'll just have to wait and see, then. :) It would be a big shift, as the B&N 50% sale has become a real institution. I'm certainly not paying $50 for an amaray, 4K or not.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see, then. :) It would be a big shift, as the B&N 50% sale has become a real institution. I'm certainly not paying $50 for an amaray, 4K or not.
You might see the blu-ray version but you won't see the 4k version. 4k is a different ballgame and just not viable at the minute for sales. Maybe a few years down the line when it's as common as blu-ray. But 4k is only now taking off across the board. Blu-ray is now becoming the new DVD

Reactions: C.C. 95
You might see the blu-ray version but you won't see the 4k version. 4k is a different ballgame and just not viable at the minute for sales. Maybe a few years down the line when it's as common as blu-ray. But 4k is only now taking off across the board. Blu-ray is now becoming the new DVD
Thanks. It has been sort of standard operating procedure over the years to mainly list Criterion and Amazon listings.
Since DiabolikDVD has become a reliable and prolific vendor with competitive prices, I will endevour to include them in the Criterion listings from now on.:thumbs:
*note- They only carry select titles. So there won't always be a DiabolikDVD option.

Last edited:
Thanks. It has been sort of standard operating procedure over the years to mainly list Criterion and Amazon listings.
Since DiabolikDVD has become a reliable and prolific vendor with competitive prices, I will endevour to include them in the Criterion listings from now on.:thumbs:
*note- They only carry select titles. So there won't always be a DiabolikDVD option.
I use diabolikDVD as well. They are one of the very people that ship to Northern Ireland since the the dog's brexit.....

The Criterion 4K releases are now 50% off for the B&N November sale. ;)

Never applies to pre-orders, I know that from previous sales...
Some pre-orders are given the 50% off, and some aren't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.
Pre-orders 50% off given: Citizen Kane 4K, Mulholland Dr. 4K, Menace II Society 4K, Uncut Gems 4K
Pre-orders 50% off NOT given: Red Shoes 4K, The Piano 4K, A Hard Day's Night 4K.
6314205F-6051-4D22-91F2-8A080CB028FF.gif

Some pre-orders are given the 50% off, and some aren't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.
Pre-orders 50% off given: Citizen Kane 4K, Mulholland Dr. 4K, Menace II Society 4K, Uncut Gems 4K
Pre-orders 50% off NOT given: Red Shoes 4K, The Piano 4K, A Hard Day's Night 4K.
View attachment 520733
Fair enough I would be surprised at any 4k getting discount as they are so expensive to produce.