Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Ur mum
Release date: June 24, 2024
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £17.99

417332B6-F580-418B-A650-9948C6B26358.jpeg

Reactions: Lord Vader
F**k me, to the mod who likes to turn up when he wants and spam this forum with the same sh!t over and over and tries to “clean this place up” how he sees fit…. Get a life and a grip
vulgarities were reported and a mod cleaned up a lot as was easier to get thread in right direction. Maybe its not right for you to quickly point fingers.

• Thanks
Reactions: Felix_ro
vulgarities were reported and a mod cleaned up a lot as was easier to get thread in right direction. Maybe its not right for you to quickly point fingers.
Absolutely zero point. You’ll always stick up for that person

There's nothing in there that says they don't apply matte on top of gloss to create spot gloss. :D
There isn't, it's probably an outdated info page as well. Back in the day there was gloss placed over matte for spot gloss. Not sure if it happened all the time, but I know I've got a few. They mostly seem to be gloss undercoat, matte ontop now though. I think the guy is just applying general printing logic & assuming.

There's nothing in there that says they don't apply matte on top of gloss to create spot gloss. :D
You might not read all of it... check the text below the DREDD SteelBook picture, which starts with „Once the SteelBook® artwork has been printed, a final layer of varnish is applied to seal in the artwork.
... or, possibly, don't really understand those processes (no offense intended anyway)... I have to say took me some time too, but now, working in such printing factory for so many years, for me it is a „given” that this is the normal way to print.
All this, BTW, does not exclude the CHOICE of the manufacturer/client to CHOOSE to NOT have (skip/renounce of) one layer or another, to make the entire order (a little) cheaper. Usually the varnish is the one that most of them choose to loose first (or to DILUTE it as much as possible). Then, those become „a new thing”, which they say is a choice, and name is „velvet” or „silky”, because they used a lesser variant of varnish, to „save some cash”.
I'm pretty sure that if you carefully read what Scanavo wrote there on that page, you'll find MANY of the things I said too here... but only if you read, understand and be impartial.

Definitely matte over gloss. You can see the gloss finish on the interior shot and the side of the steel. I dunno man, maybe there is an initial layer of varnish to 'seal in the art' as mentioned above and a second over the matte for spot glossing?

Last edited:
You might not read all of it... check the text below the DREDD SteelBook picture, which starts with „Once the SteelBook® artwork has been printed, a final layer of varnish is applied to seal in the artwork.
I did read that, and? There's a few different types of 'final layers', doesn't state which is last, or that there's only 1.

Definitely matte over gloss. You can see the gloss finish on the interior shot and the side of the steel. I dunno man, maybe there is an initial layer of varnish to 'seal in the art' as mentioned above and a second over the matte for spot glossing?
Exactly.
They wouldn't add gloss to all the sides and bends if they were just spot glossing character's glasses on the front, or something.
It's obvious to everyone, but Felix for some reason...

Reactions: Flloydo
... or, possibly, don't really understand those processes (no offense intended anyway)... I have to say took me some time too, but now, working in such printing factory for so many years, for me it is a „given” that this is the normal way to print.
All this, BTW, does not exclude the CHOICE of the manufacturer/client to CHOOSE to NOT have (skip/renounce of) one layer or another, to make the entire order (a little) cheaper. Usually the varnish is the one that most of them choose to loose first (or to DILUTE it as much as possible). Then, those become „a new thing”, which they say is a choice, and name is „velvet” or „silky”, because they used a lesser variant of varnish, to „save some cash”.
I'm pretty sure that if you carefully read what Scanavo wrote there on that page, you'll find MANY of the things I said too here... but only if you read, understand and be impartial.
You do understand that FAC Dredd, and in extension likely that info page, is 8 years old, don't you? Gloss over matte used to happen to achieve a spot gloss finish, but it doesn't (or at least not regularly) anymore. It's a gloss base, with matte applied on top. I get you're talking as someone with printing experience in other industries, but you're barking up the wrong tree here.