Cobra (Blu-ray Steelbook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: November 13, 2017
Purchase Link: Zavvi (pre-order Sunday October 22, at around 6PM UK time)
Price: £15.99

11526669-21.jpg

11526669-16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait - I know it's a fantasy to hope the extended edition ever sees the light of day so this will do in a pinch :happy:
I doubt we will see the workprint version get a release be cool yes if that happened but very unlikely
I would like to see a remaster of all the original footage and release it on Blu-ray or 4K UHD

There was a bootleg VHS copy years ago of the workprint but very bad quality

There is a TV cut that was broadcast on TV with some deleted scenes from the workprint but it's missing the graphic violence scenes from both workprint and theatrical cut

I'm not sure if they even have the original negative with all of the cut footage from the workprint anymore

Yes, perfect release for those that dig DUMB AND DUMBER and AUSTIN POWERS.
All I can say is, "Thank God for THE IRON GIANT steelbook . . . finally" . . . with a SALEM'S LOT steelbook also quite pleasing news.

Speaking about COBRA . . . how's about a DIRTY HARRY (or even a MAGNUM FORCE) steelbook?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it an Urban Myth that COBRA was made because Sly Stallone got kicked off BEVERLEY HILLS COP ? - Yes and no - a film that's said to have been originally written for Sly Stallone as Axel Foley (lol) . . . Yes, it's true that Sly became attached to the project after Mickey Rourke dropped out but . . .
. . . as he said at the time after reading the script:-
"When I read the script for Beverly Hills Cop, I thought they’d sent it to the wrong house. Somehow, me trying to comically terrorize Beverly Hills is not the stuff that great yuk-festivals are made from. So I re-wrote the script to suit what I do best, and by the time I was done, it looked like the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan on the beaches of Normandy. Believe it or not, the finale was me in a stolen Lamborghini playing chicken with an oncoming freight train being driven by the ultra-slimy bad guy. Needless to say, they dropkicked me and my script out of the office, and the rest is history."

". . . and the rest is history" . . . with BEVERLEY HILLS COP becoming one of the most successful and loved films ever made turning Eddie Murphy into a major star (along with TRADING PLACES and 48 HOURS - all three around the same time) . . . and Sly using his rejected re-write for aspects of COBRA.

According to screenwriter Daniel Petrie:-
"Sly Stallone was going to play the lead but he re-wrote the script and made it more of an action movie again. That had the natural effect of raising the budget to a level that was higher than Paramount wanted to spend on the picture. Paramount asked Stallone if he was willing to do my script or alternatively he could take the stuff I had written for him and all of the stuff that he had written and make another movie out of it, so long as it wasn’t about a cop who came from out of town to Beverly Hills. By that time, the movie was so different that he was able to do that and he was extremely gracious about it and took that suggestion. He used almost all of his material and incorporated it into his film Cobra (1986). Actually, Stallone had renamed our lead character Axel Cobretti in his Beverly Hills Cop script."

True, however, that COBRA cost $25M against BEVERLEY HILLS COPS' $15M and made roughly half as much money at the box office . . . and it can be presumed that not all of Sly's rejected ideas for BEVERLEY HILLS COP turned up in COBRA . . . more likely he was springboarded to do COBRA because of his experience with the BEVERLEY HILLS COP script . . . one thing is for sure though - the name of the lead character in COBRA, one Marion Cobretti, was kept over from his script change of one Axel Cobretti in BEVERLEY HILLS COP.

Sly Stallone or Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley in BEVERLEY HILLS COP ?
upload_2017-10-20_0-41-15.png
upload_2017-10-20_0-42-30.png