Comic Book Sleeves, Mylars, Boxes, Backing Boards and Storage.

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Use this thread to help others, chat, or showcase what it is you use and how you use it.

HDN Recommendations:

Comic Bin, stackable, short box, acid free!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PPFN35/?tag=hidefnin-20
bin.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WDJNGC0/?tag=hidefnin-20
E. Gerber Full-Backs 'Silver & Golden Age' 42-Mil Backing Boards & Mylites 2 'Silver & Golden Age' 2-Mil Comic Book Mylar (acid free) Sleeves - 50 of Each!

81jN++ud8bL._SL1500_.jpg

E. Gerber Full-Backs 'Standard' 42-Mil Backing Boards & Mylites 2 'Standard' 2-Mil Comic Book Mylar (acid free) Sleeves - 50 of Each!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WDIEX0U/?tag=hidefnin-20
81vyLpmkfmL._SL1500_.jpg

They also make one for Modern, but this leaves no room on the white backing board so while its a snug fit it doesn't protect the edges of your comic well. I recommend STANDARD for moderns.

Last edited:
I use and prefer mylar. It's a bit more pricey but after 5+ years you dont have warped bags and possible issues for longer term with acid etc. I use full backs instead of half backs where as typical boards are only half coated. I buy the Standard mylar's which is a tad bigger than the moderns which i bought first. A YouTuber put me on to that as he likes how it adds some extra board on all side for the comic and keeps a small cushion on bottom keeping the comic floating a bit in the box and not causing damage like reg bag n board can do over time.

I dont have everything in mylar yet, but the overall idea is to have it all in mylar except lower quality readers, or stuff that I dont care so much about that found its way into my collection in one way or another.

Boxes, I only use short boxes the long boxes seem like they would be super heavy, and take up too much room for me and since my collection isnt all that big stacking short boxes just seems easier and more ideal to work with.

I've always been a Mylar fan myself. For the most part, it's all I've purchased over the past 25+ on comicbook collecting. Like you, I also like how the comic somewhat floats in the bag. Which YouTuber were you watching for comic advice? I'd like to check out that video myself.

I used to have my entire collection in long boxes, but I converted them over to short boxes around 10 years ago. While it's easier to stack long boxes for the most part, lugging those heavy things around is no easy task. Went to short boxes and I'll never look back.

How many comics do you have in your collection, @Wreck?

I’ll have to look up which you tubers it is. A few I like.

Really like Comic Trips for sure.

Also if u want to see the best collection known to man. Leekirbyditkocomics

I only have 5 short boxes and likely only enough to fill almost 4. Not counting my cgc.

Every venture into comics for me has been short lived. But really enjoying this go round. Think it’ll last longer then in 2012 when new 52 was coming out when I got back in.

For some reason tho I’ve seen some comics lately that I know I used to have so wondering if back in Houston at my dads house somewhere. Have most all my stuff from my childhood so surprised I don’t have those as I never sold comics. Course my childhood stuff is like 75% savage dragon so nothing worth a lot or anything ha

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Right now, I only have one long box and 4 short boxes. Like both of you, I plan on converting that long box to 2 short boxes. I use Mylars for my favorite issues. Of course, acid free is the norm these days including backing boards.

I am enjoying all the varant cover artworks nowadays. I used to read back issues using Comixology and borrow books from my local library. Before, I use to buy the graphic novels at Amazon. I fell out of collecting like 4 years ago then got back to collecting around last year or so.

My favorite artists are Artgerm, Francesco Mattina, Adi Granov, Joshua Middleton and Gabrielle DelOtto.

Right now, I only have one long box and 4 short boxes. Like both of you, I plan on converting that long box to 2 short boxes. I use Mylars for my favorite issues. Of course, acid free is the norm these days including backing boards.

I am enjoying all the varant cover artworks nowadays. I used to read back issues using Comixology and borrow books from my local library. Before, I use to buy the graphic novels at Amazon. I fell out of collecting like 4 years ago then got back to collecting around last year or so.

My favorite artists are Artgerm, Francesco Mattina, Adi Granov, Joshua Middleton and Gabrielle DelOtto.
Yeah i may need to rethink the everything mylar strategy haha .... if i get to it cool, if not no biggie. But for now def priority ones first that are a tad more valuable then the face values that should be treated better.

I basically need to take all my stuff out anyways of the bag n board if at the least to redo cause when i was young I had no idea that the acid free coating is only on one side. I just stuck them in however.

I recently got back into collecting with the start of DC rebirth. I use Mylars for my bags. Only just started with them though as I wasn't clued up on the changing bags thing. Currently I've got a box for my graded comics and a short box for my regulars. I'm more into variants than trade issues especially ones by Artgerm and Jason Fabok.

This might be sacrilegious but I never read the comics I have. I tend to read them all online.

• Thanks
I recently got back into collecting with the start of DC rebirth. I use Mylars for my bags. Only just started with them though as I wasn't clued up on the changing bags thing. Currently I've got a box for my graded comics and a short box for my regulars. I'm more into variants than trade issues especially ones by Artgerm and Jason Fabok.

This might be sacrilegious but I never read the comics I have. I tend to read them all online.

Well you're doing it the right way if you want to keep your physical issues as pristine as possible. That said, nothing beats reading a physical comicbook. The weight, smell... everything. Then again, I was practically raised on comics right from my toddler days. :p

I never read my Marvel ones since I always redeem the digital codes. As for DC, I have a digital subscription at Comixology.

Well you're doing it the right way if you want to keep your physical issues as pristine as possible. That said, nothing beats reading a physical comicbook. The weight, smell... everything. Then again, I was practically raised on comics right from my toddler days. :p

I have comixology, then also some titles i carefully read just to keep in good condition. Then a large majority I never read and buy for sake of art and collecting etc. Usually a high chance that if im buying a variant i likely got the reg which ill read when time permits.

I bought my spiderman dell'otto from this store and they include a readers copy inside (had no cover) .... i thought it was pretty cool as they ship it mylar'd and perfect then a readers in there as well.

https://igcomicstore.com/collection...il-annual-classic-trade-variant-issue-1-w-coa , i thought maybe tht was a one time thing but apparently given the descrip the readers copy included is pretty regular with these folks.

• Thanks
I have comixology, then also some titles i carefully read just to keep in good condition. Then a large majority I never read and buy for sake of art and collecting etc. Usually a high chance that if im buying a variant i likely got the reg which ill read when time permits.

I bought my spiderman dell'otto from this store and they include a readers copy inside (had no cover) .... i thought it was pretty cool as they ship it mylar'd and perfect then a readers in there as well.

https://igcomicstore.com/collection...il-annual-classic-trade-variant-issue-1-w-coa , i thought maybe tht was a one time thing but apparently given the descrip the readers copy included is pretty regular with these folks.

That is really cool and something that other retailers should also do. Very, very cool!

If I buy multiple covers (a regular and a variant), I'll always read the regular. I also know how to read carefully enough where no damage to the comic will be caused, so it's not something I usually worry about.

The readers copy thing is amazing. I'd love it if more stores did that.

I mostly collect for the artwork and as Tridon says I wanna keep my issues in the best condition possible. I'd hate it if I damaged one out of clumsiness. I got into comics at a young age too but was never into it heavily. Just kept getting the odd issue here and there but loved reading them. I was more into getting Graphic Novels out of the library. Really started to get into single issues around the time of Wolverine's Red Ronin Rage when I was 14 (I still have that somewhere).

• Thanks
The trouble with physical copies is always shelf space. I have to move to the basement to house all my collection. I dread the moist there.

• Thanks
The trouble with physical copies is always shelf space. I have to move to the basement to house all my collection. I dread the moist there.

That's why I've had to cut back on only getting the artwork I like or specific storylines rather than every issue of a run. If I had the space I would have easily got every issue of Detective Comics since rebirth started as it's been fantastic.

That's always a problem that I've had to face. If you have good bags on your comics, that'll keep most of the moisture out which is good. It still beats the crap out of your boxes storing the comics, though.

I recently got a corrugated plastic box from eBay for my CGCs. I gotta say the box is great. Study and can take the weight of the books no problem. I've got a short one too for my regular bags and boards.

I recently got a corrugated plastic box from eBay for my CGCs. I gotta say the box is great. Study and can take the weight of the books no problem. I've got a short one too for my regular bags and boards.

Yeah, I'd also be interested in seeing a photo. I'm quite intrigued now.

Can you take a photo?
Yeah, I'd also be interested in seeing a photo. I'm quite intrigued now.

Here you go guys. They come in white or black but I went for black. The box comes flat but you just pop it all into shape and it holds well.

The handles come from the bottom and go all the way up and there's a fold over to lock them in place. I always put cardboard at the end of the boxes to avoid any damage from the handles on any boxes I have anyway.

The bigger one holds 33 graded slabs and the smaller one if for moderns. They're the same length although I think you might be able to get longer ones.

Only problem I have it that I have cats so the static picks up hairs which means I gotta brush it down every time I take it out.

IMG_6565.jpg IMG_6568.jpg IMG_6570.jpg IMG_6558.jpg IMG_6560.jpg IMG_6561.jpg IMG_6564.jpg IMG_6562.jpg