Crimes of the Future (2022) (4K + Blu-ray Limited Edition) (Second Sight Films) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 11, 2023
Purchase links: Second Sight - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £39.99 (Second Sight) - £40.43 (Amazon) - £40.99 (Zavvi - HMV)

Crimes of The Future.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't consider a movie that deals with autopsy, organ removal and body mutation as "body horror" how would you categorize it ?

Even definition wise the movie is spot on horror...

Characteristics. The horror film is defined by The Dictionary of Film Studies as representing "disturbing and dark subject matter, seeking to elicit responses of fear, terror, disgust, shock, suspense, and, of course, horror from their viewers."

Autopsy and organ removal are everyday things in hospitals. Nothing horror about them. One putting on ear ring or doing tribal scars can be count as body mutilation.

Nope, still not horror.

...and about your characteristics - this did not make me horrified.

• Wow
Reactions: Billy Talent
Autopsy and organ removal are everyday things in hospitals. Nothing horror about them. One putting on ear ring or doing tribal scars can be count as body mutilation.

Nope, still not horror.

...and about your characteristics - this did not make me horrified.
You must have a strong stomach, the trailer made me nauseous:vomit:

Oh, so it's set in present day, I see.
Haha you joke but I think that is one of the points of the movie: to hold up a mirror to *our* society and see what is perverse about it, i.e our addicition to smart phones (at least that was the main parallel I saw)
There's interesting and darkly humorous moments where every single person watching the performance art pieces of the movie are filming it with something (smart phone, vintage camcorder, 16mm film camera lol) Not a single person is just watching it.

love david cronenberg but athough this one is great, its definitely lower ranked.
honestly id rather see Brandon Cronenberg's films on Second Sight.
thought possessor was awesome, but to me it is way too close to the movies of his father. so it lacks originality
Like many cronenberg films, after 1st screening i ranked it lower, but as time passes i rank it better.
like is said earlier it is one of those films you have to "digest" if i may say :LOL:

• Wow
thought possessor was awesome, but to me it is way too close to the movies of his father. so it lacks originality
Like many cronenberg films, after 1st screening i ranked it lower, but as time passes i rank it better.
like is said earlier it is one of those films you have to "digest" if i may say :LOL:
When you find out the director of Possesor is the SON OF DAVID CRONENBERG!!????
Fresh Off The Boat Reaction GIF

When you find out the director of Possesor is the SON OF DAVID CRONENBERG!!????

Yeah, you didn't know?
I also only found out about his existence at all, much less he's a director too, and that he has three good movies already.
First one is Antiviral, and the third is only coming to theaters soon, Infinity Pool
I've ordered a Turbine mediabook of Possessor, looks to be like a bloodier version of Xchange (2001) and Vincenzo Natali's Cypher.

Special Features

• Dual format edition including both UHD and Blu-ray with main feature and bonus features on both discs
  • UHD presented in Dolby Vision HDR
  • New audio commentary by Caelum Vatnsdal
  • Undeniably a Love Story: an interview with Director David Cronenberg
  • Things Change: an interview with Actor Viggo Mortensen
  • The Chaos Inside: an interview with Actor Léa Seydoux
  • The Heat and the Grime: an interview with Actor Kristen Stewart
  • The Bureau Man: a new interview with Actor Don McKellar
  • Painkiller: a new interview with Producer Robert Lantos
  • The Most Wonderful Dream: a new interview with Cinematographer Douglas Koch
  • The Code of David: an interview with Editor Christopher Donaldson
  • New Flesh, Future Crimes: The Body and David Cronenberg - a video essay by Leigh Singer
  • The Making of Crimes of the Future
  • Production Design Materials
  • Short film: The Death of David Cronenberg
Limited Edition Contents

• Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Marko Manev
  • 120 page book with new essays by Reyna Cervantes, Tim Coleman, Joel Harley, Rich Johnson, Mikel J Koven, Phil Nobile Jr, Ian Schultz and Hannah Strong
  • 6 collectors' art cards