Cutting the cord? The best of all worlds...

Have you "cut the cord"?

• Yes, I have-I don't use ANY Cable/Satellite company for content

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Yes I have, but I still have a basic Cable/Satellite package

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No, I have not, but I am thinking about it

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No, I have not, and don't plan on doing so

Votes: 8 44.4%

Votes: 8 44.4%

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
So if you cut cable, you save a ton of money ... money you could put into other services. If you were to do that, or already have done that ...

which services would you recommend?

Netflix, Hulu and more? Anyone know what difference is with Hulu and Hulu+

I use Windows Media Center to watch/record over the air TV and Netflix for watching older TV shows. I REFUSE to pay for cable! For the price of about 4-5 months of cable, I built myself a small HTPC to get FREE OTA TV for as long as my computer will run (going on 2 years now).

How do I get windows media center, and what is HTPC. Thanks

How do I get windows media center, and what is HTPC. Thanks

HTPC is a home theater PC - basically just a really small computer that can sit with the rest of your components. Windows Media Center (WMC) comes with Vista and W7. I think W7 WMC is much better. I upgraded to W7 from Vista for that reason. For a setup like mine where you want to record OTA TV then you also need to install a TV tuner card or USB tv tuner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricker
All streaming services blow in Canada. I mean they suck. And realistically if you love your sports in HD on the big screen there is no other way to get it other then cable. If your willing to watch it in lower quality then there are options I guess.

The ONLY reason we still have cable is for HD sports and thats it. I can't live without TSN, Rogers, CBC and Speed.

Yeah the streaming does suck if your looking for quality, I just make do, and for free its pretty decent. I can't complain.

I have been thinking about getting NHL Centre Ice (streaming HD) but I am too worried about blackouts which would make it not worth the money.

All streaming services blow in Canada. I mean they suck. And realistically if you love your sports in HD on the big screen there is no other way to get it other then cable. If your willing to watch it in lower quality then there are options I guess.

The ONLY reason we still have cable is for HD sports and thats it. I can't live without TSN, Rogers, CBC and Speed.

Totally agree.....I can't live without sports in HD.......

Watching the BBC series Survivors on Netflix right now and I must say, it does not look bad at all for a 720p signal.

Most of my content watching is streaming nowadays - although if it's a steel, I'll often watch those movies as well. :naughty:

I'd be tempted to cancel Directv, but I don't think my wife would like that. lol.

Watching the BBC series Survivors on Netflix right now and I must say, it does not look bad at all for a 720p signal.

Most of my content watching is streaming nowadays - although if it's a steel, I'll often watch those movies as well. :naughty:

I'd be tempted to cancel Directv, but I don't think my wife would like that. lol.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on that series, Andy. Not the BBC's finest hour I'm afraid.

I haven't had cable service in well over 3 years.

I get most of my tv through "online services". ;)

I buy all my movies now, usually through pawn shops where they are a fraction of the price of new therefore I save money that way.

Other people in my home use Netflix quite a bit but I never found it that useful myself. Probably because the Canadian branch of netflix doesn't have half the TV broadcast rights the US branch has.

When its Hockey Season I just use CBC's free streams or other online streaming sites.

same here why pay outrages cable price when you can watch blu rays or stream them online its a no brainer

Reactions: stinkofdefeat
I'll put my 2 cents in here, but I am a little different. I work for Comcast Cable, so my internet and cable is free to watch. I also use Netflix, Hulu Plus & VUDU.

I am happy with all of them streaming wise. Netflix will be rolling out 1080P streaming (like VUDU does) this year. Plus they are doing it for free. Any cable provider can call them and receive it with no extra charge. I hcatch up on everything older than 1 year and if they ever catch up on making everything streamable....then I would like them even more.

Hulu Plus - I really only use them for catching up on Prime time shows I miss while I work. They do have some things exclusively, but I'd say that having both is worth the money. Combined, they are only $16 total.

VUDU - This is by far the best service that I have seen for streaming. They are also the #1 place i watch all of my Ultra Violet movies on. HDX is near Blu-ray quality and i have over 71 movies & TV shows on there. most were free, but you can rent and buy anything you want from there. The plus side is their disc to digital from their partnership through Walmart. If you have the blu ray movie it costs only $2 to upgrade each one. $5 if you upgrade to HDX from a DVD. Not that bad really. The only bad is, you have to bring your movies in physically and make sure you search the titles (it's limited right now) and then print the list when you are bringing them in. Walmart is slow as molasses unless you do that ahead of time. Trust me on this.

Hope that helps someone who is curious about services. Also Comcase will be using DVR and stick what you recorded in the cloud. Not sure when it's rolling out or when, but I forsee lots of problems in the beginning. They are notorious with new things and customers (including myself) are the guinea pigs.

We switched to FIOS and love it. I evaluated different services here on this forum and independent research. We experience no throttling or other issues with them, and are enjoying the service very much. Previously, we were Cablevision customers for 6+ years and my parents had Comcast for as long as I can remember. If they start failing us, I'll be on the hunt again, but so far, picture sound and service have been top notch, tbh. So no cut cord here yet, until someone announces a la carte offerings....

Unfortunately, I am stuck with my DirecTV until they get rid of MLB blackout restrictions. If I could get my games through MLB.tv or the like, I would cancel it in a heartbeat as I can see everything else I want to see through other means. Here's to hoping that some day they get rid of the restrictions.

sooooo, it has been 2 years since anyone responded lol......................time for me to chime in,

I have a Vizio 65" 4K M C1 tv, decided to go for Roku 4 since it can do 4K. OK, I know, there is not a lot of 4K content out there, but its coming. So far, this device is working awesome.
I sub to Netflix, and Hulu + (Limited Commercials) package.
I do have it hooked up by way of HDMI 2.0 cable to proper connection on tv
It even has a Time Warner app that I use. I still have cable. Now they are Beta Testing the Time Warner app down in New York City area for cord cutters. I have no idea on pricing. But I am eagerly awaiting info to see if they are gonna put this to market. I don't care about sports, I am a movie person and I don't care about DVR if I can have On Demand services.

just a tidbit of info about Netflix 4K, you have to go to your account and select UHD streaming which is another $3.00 added to $7.99.
I haven't done it yet just cause not enuff content right now.

Reactions: Wreck