Dances With Wolves (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Shout Factory) [USA]

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Release date: November 13, 2018
Purchase link: Shout Factory - Amazon - Best Buy
Price: $23.97 (Shout) - $29.97 - $13.99 (Amazon) - $13.99 (Best Buy)
Notes: 3 Discs (Theatrical Cut 181 min and Extended Cut 234 min)

DancesWolves.SB.PS.72dpi.png

Disc One:
- Theatrical Cut (181 minutes, presented for the very first time on Blu-ray in USA)

Disc Two:
- Extended Cut (234 minutes)
- Audio Commentary With Actor/Producer/Director Kevin Costner And Producer Jim Wilson
- Audio Commentary With Director of Photography Dean Semler and Editor Neil Travis

Disc Three:
- A Day in the Life on the Western Frontier
- The Original Making of Dances with Wolves
- The Creation of an Epic - A Retrospective Documentary
- Music Video
- "Second Wind" featurette
- "Confederate March And Music" featurette
- "Getting the Point" featurette
- "Burying the Hatchet" featurette
- "Animatronic Buffalo" featurette
- TV Spots
- Theatrical Trailer
- Poster and Photo Galleries

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DMD4k does the amaray come with all the extra's listed on the shout release, and is the UK amaray theatrical only? Cheers.

UK Amaray Blu-ray is Theatrical Cut only and no extras

German 2 Disc Steelbook
Has both Directors cut and Theatrical cut

German Blu-ray is different extras to USA Blu-ray 20th anniversary release and Shout Blu-ray release
Shout extras disc is same as US 20th anniversary Blu-ray extras
US release is better extras and shout release best overall

German Mediabook and Steelbook

DISC ONE
* The Film (Director's Cut)
Audio commentary by director/producer/actor Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson
Audio commentary by director of photography Dean Semler and editor Neil Travis
German Theatrical Trailer (2:37)
English Theatrical Trailer (2:34)
Bonus trailers (all in HD, all trailers in German, except 'Shine A Light' which is in English with forced German subtitles)
-Shine A light
-The Sentinel
-Free Rainer
-The Fox and the Child
-Million Dollar Baby
-Meet Dave
-March of the Penguins
-Mr and Mrs Smith

DISC TWO
* The Film (Theatrical Cut)
"The Creation of an Epic" documentary (74:39)
"Original Making of" featurette (20:58)
Film Flubs & Trivia
Poster Gallery
Music Video (3:52)
TV Spots
- "John Dunbar" (0:31)
- "A different kind of Western" (0:31)
German Theatrical Trailer (2:37)
English Theatrical Trailer (2:34)
Bonus Trailers

Last edited:
Hopefully UHD....
And hopefully the THEATRICAL CUT.
For a long time the only cut available has been the Extended Cut. While the extended cut is interesting- it is a flawed version (the pace of the movie is completely destroyed) and it is NOT the version that people fell in love with and won the Academy Award.
When a movie wins the BEST PICTURE Academy Award - the version of the movie that WON THE AWARD should always be the available version.
(Costner had no hand in the extended version- it was prepared by producer Jim Wilson).
-Imagine if the only available versions of Godfather 1 & 2 was the cronological Godfather saga? -
I love that there is an extended version to watch as an afterthough - but when people see DANCES WITH WOLVES for the first time (or ever) it should be the Oscar winning 3 hour cut.

I can't say it any better than that. I thought I was the ONLY one who thought the extended cut SUCKED. I don't think $30 is worth it for the Theatrical Cut though. Pricey.
I will probably keep my UK Blu Ray of the Theatrical Cut. I bought it a while ago. My blu ray player can play any region.

Reactions: C.C. 95
It's "NOT" the one to get? Huh? It seems to me that it IS the one to get if you want both versions. It HAS both versions and an extras disc.
That reply was UK Blu-ray was not the one to get as it's just the Theatrical cut with no extras

Shout Factory release is the one to get

That reply was UK Blu-ray was not the one to get as it's just the Theatrical cut with no extras

Shout Factory release is the one to get

Gotcha. Yes, I totally AGREE. I just can't spend $30 on a blu ray. I am used to spending $2.50 on used ones.
Although, my favorite movie is "The Princess Bride" and Criterion has one coming out shortly. I may HAVE to get that one.

Gotcha. Yes, I totally AGREE. I just can't spend $30 on a blu ray. I am used to spending $2.50 on used ones.
Although, my favorite movie is "The Princess Bride" and Criterion has one coming out shortly. I may HAVE to get that one.
Price with amazon and other USA/Canada retailers likely to drop before or after release date

So did anybody order this from Shout or Amazon? If so, has it been shipped?
The release date was this past Tuesday Nov. 13th. Amazon's site shows it will be in stock on Nov. 27th.

I ordered this from Best Buy in Canada on Oct. 27 and it hasn't shipped yet and the listing disappeared from their website today without ever going out of stock. I ordered it from Amazon in Canada on Monday while it was showing in stock because it was cheaper.
I received this email today from Amazon:

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on November 12, 2018. We've listed the item below with the expected delivery date:

"Dances With Wolves [Blu-ray]"
Estimated arrival date: January 07, 2019 - February 12, 2019 :wtf:

Same thing happened with my order of Grindhouse a couple weeks ago. I cancelled that order. I didn't want to wait 2 months for it.
I will probably cancel this order as well. Streets of Fire is scheduled to be released Tuesday Nov. 20th. I get the feeling the same thing is going to happen again.

What is going on with all of the steelbook delays lately?

Finally received it today from Best Buy. Glossy finish. This time I'm sure (unlike 2001: A Space Odyssey).
There is a large tear in the shrink wrap of one of the copies. :D

Today I received a notification from Amazon.ca that I should receive my order from them on November 29th.

So much for Estimated arrival date: January 07, 2019 - February 12, 2019.

Maybe I shouldn't have cancelled my order of Grindhouse after all. Oh well.

My order of Streets Of Fire is on the way as well.

EDIT: Perhaps I'll tear a hole in the shrink wrap of one of the copies I'll be returning of future orders of steelbooks.
Just so I can report on the finish. :naughty:

Last edited:
All I can say is if this title comes to steelbook in the UK I'd hope for more interesting and creative artwork . . . with Illustrated steelbooks still fashionable I'd be up for something like this (or in colour) on the front (or a fuller image for wraparound):-
1542973882568.png

Anyway, does what it says on the tin - solid, honest and unpretentious with 'Dances with Wolves' dancing with a wolf.

Not the best pic - courtesy nuikichiSB - but I guess the image kinda works helped in no small measure by the wraparound design . . . but, still, with more than 50% of the artwork sky it wouldn't have been my first choice for a steelbook image for this modern classic:-
DsqdrmyUwAAKblw.jpg:large

DsqdtSxV4AAr9da.jpg:large
1542973347816.png

• Helpful Post
Reactions: K.i.T
Ugh, okay... will have to find an alternative then. Thanks!
They've been really good for me. I've never had a crushed or dented steelbook from them. If your really nervous about ordering direct from them see if mabe Andy can help you source it. No guarantees though. I don't know if he will since it's available world wide.
@apsmith21

Reactions: poldergal