Dark City

Illiciter

Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2009
So I finally popped this Blu-Ray in last night eager as all hell to get on with my life by finding out what the hubbub with this movie is.

You have to remember this movie came out in 1998 a year before The Matrix. I mention this because early on you catch a sense of deja vu and I even questioned if The Matrix ripped off pieces of this movie. However, that's pretty much where the similarity ends (other than the underlying concept of the movie that the world as we know it doesn't really exist). This is a visually stunning movie, great photography throughout. You just simply cannot argue with the visuals in this movie at the time that it came out. The sound, while avoiding comparison to Quantum of Solace, was still a fine 7.1 DTS Master Audio track with mainly 5.1 sounds, but that didn't effect the delivery negatively.

That said, the acting I felt at times was lackluster with only digging into the dialogue and underlying theme was I able to really appreciate what was happening. I could see how the reviewers could pin this movie as a comparison to The Matrix, but I think they had it backwards as this movie, IMHO, had a much more intriguing concept behind it that The Matrix never touched and simply just stole an idea and ran with it.

3.5/5 overall - I will watch it again, but I don't think it's for the casual movie watcher who absolutely LOVED The Matrix since they will be bias and confuse the fact that Dark City came BEFORE The Matrix.