Dawn of the Dead (1978) (4K and Blu-ray Limited Edition Box Set) (Second Sight Films) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 16, 2020
Purchase links: Second Sight 4K - BD - Amazon UK 4K - BD - Zavvi 4K - BD - HMV 4K - BD (Pre-order date Tuesday May 26th at 12PM Midday UK time)
Price: £79.99 (4K) (Second Sight - Zavvi) - £69.99 (BD) (Second Sight - Zavvi) - £74.99 (4K) (Amazon - HMV ) - £64.99 (BD) (Amazon - HMV)
Notes: 4K Box Set Limited to 12,000 and Blu-ray Box Set Limited to 6,000 - Second Sight Website will be UK shipping only

EihjUMcXkAENh6I.jpg

89770343_1753413558126403_7759930113348599808_o.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it was 1 piece of bubble wrap :LOL: I was afraid it would come in a piece of cardboard or perhaps with just the shipping label slapped on.
You saying about shipping labels reminds me of how my local HMV seem to stick those bloody security strips on their Blurays.
They seem to stick them in the most inappropriate places. :D :cautious:

• Haha
Reactions: Rady
Love this set!

Have seen the original version and have just watched the Canes Version.

Have never seen the Dario version. Is it worth a watch straight away? Or best leaving it until I fancy rewatching?

Love this set!

Have seen the original version and have just watched the Canes Version.

Have never seen the Dario version. Is it worth a watch straight away? Or best leaving it until I fancy rewatching?
For what concerns me, the Argento's cut is the best version by far. it is shorter, bit i think these cuts were necessary, the longer version adds nothing really interesting.
and most important, the original soundtrack is really bad... Watch it with the goblins soundtrack makes it a totally different and 10 times better movie.

Seen all cuts, and when i want to see it (at least twice a year) i always watch the Argento's cut
You should definately watch its straight away while the other versions are fresh in your mind !

• Informative
Reactions: BluSteel2012
For what concerns me, the Argento's cut is the best version by far. it is shorter, bit i think these cuts were necessary, the longer version adds nothing really interesting.
and most important, the original soundtrack is really bad... Watch it with the goblins soundtrack makes it a totally different and 10 times better movie.

Seen all cuts, and when i want to see it (at least twice a year) i always watch the Argento's cut
You should definately watch its straight away while the other versions are fresh in your mind !

OK, you’ve convinced me. Will watch it in the next few days

• Friendly
Reactions: Jocelin
This is one of the best releases (along with the Columbia Classics box set) of 2020. It was the first viewing of the film and it is far and away the best zombie film ever. Now hopefully SS will release Day of the Dead and The Night of the Living Dead on 4K (unless they are owned by a different distributor).

Last edited:
Reactions: MrSquifler
Would anyone be kind enough if they purchased the 4K release from Second Sight directly.... let me know approx dimensions of their package and weight of the set? Trying to gage how much a parcel forwarder may charge me to ship to Canada.

Thanks in advance

Rigid slipcase and 4 tray digipack featuring:

BLU-RAY DISC 1: THE THEATRICAL CUT

• New 4K scan and restoration of the Original Camera Negative by Second Sight at Final Frame New York and London supervised and approved by DoP Michael Gornick
  • Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono - New restoration of the original OCN Optical / DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
  • Commentary by George A Romero, Tom Savini, Christine Forrest
  • NEW commentary by Travis Crawford
  • New optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired
BLU-RAY DISC 2 – THE EXTENDED (‘CANNES’) CUT

• Produced using 4K scan of the Theatrical Cut Original Camera Negative and 4K scan of the Extended Cut Colour Reversal Internegative
  • DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono
  • Commentary by Richard P Rubinstein
BLU-RAY DISC 3 – THE ARGENTO CUT

• 4K scan of the Interpositive by Michele De Angelis at Backlight Digital, Rome
  • Audio: DT-HD Master Audio Mono 1.0 / Surround 5.1 / Stereo 2.0
  • Commentary by Ken Foree, Scott Reiniger, Gaylen Ross, David Emge
BLU-RAY DISC 4: SPECIAL FEATURES

• NEW Zombies and Bikers with John Amplas, Roy Frumkes, Tom Savini, Christine Forrest, Tom Dubensky, Tony Buba, Taso Stavrakis and a whole host of zombies and bikers! (59 mins)
  • NEW Memories of Monroeville
  • A tour of the mall with Michael Gornick, Tom Savini, Tom Dubensky and Taso Stavrakis (34 mins)
  • NEW Raising the Dead: The Production Logistics
  • With Michael Gornick, Christine Forrest, John Amplas, Tom Dubensky (23 mins)
  • NEW The FX of Dawn with Tom Savini (13 mins)
  • NEW Dummies! Dummies! – An interview with Richard France (12 mins)
  • NEW The Lost Romero Dawn Interview: previously unreleased archive interview (20 mins)
  • Super 8 Mall Footage by zombie extra Ralph Langer with option of archive commentary by Robert Langer and new commentary by Ralph Langer (13 mins)
  • Document of the Dead: The Extended (85 mins)
  • Document of the Dead: The Definitive Cut with optional commentary by Roy Frumkes (100 mins)
  • The Dead Will Walk 2014 Documentary (80 mins)
  • Trailers, TV and Radio Spots (TBC)