Dawn of the Dead (1978) (4K and Blu-ray Limited Edition Box Set) (Second Sight Films) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 16, 2020
Purchase links: Second Sight 4K - BD - Amazon UK 4K - BD - Zavvi 4K - BD - HMV 4K - BD (Pre-order date Tuesday May 26th at 12PM Midday UK time)
Price: £79.99 (4K) (Second Sight - Zavvi) - £69.99 (BD) (Second Sight - Zavvi) - £74.99 (4K) (Amazon - HMV ) - £64.99 (BD) (Amazon - HMV)
Notes: 4K Box Set Limited to 12,000 and Blu-ray Box Set Limited to 6,000 - Second Sight Website will be UK shipping only

EihjUMcXkAENh6I.jpg

89770343_1753413558126403_7759930113348599808_o.jpg

Last edited:
Going by these prices for the limited editions what do you estimate the price of the non special edition will cost @paulboland?
Hard to tell will depend on the standard edition what discs will be included

Assuming both standard edition will be 4 discs
Standard edition when release happens estimate price but I'm just guessing £40 (4K) and £30 (Blu-ray) might be even higher price

Reactions: BluSteel2012
WOW! That price tag is quite a bit higher than i expected! But i will still pre order the 4k set from Amazon, for sure. For the extra £10 over the blu ray set it makes sense for me, as i have the arrow video blu ray anyways, and intend to upgrade to 4k in the future. If i hear amazing things about the blu ray remaster then i can opt to get the standard release later. All that being said, i think these sets could end up being fantastic releases......hopefully. Does anybody know whether the discs will be housed in amaray cases, or in digipaks? I’m really hoping these are housed in digipaks - would be awesome!!

WOW! That price tag is quite a bit higher than i expected! But i will still pre order the 4k set from Amazon, for sure. For the extra £10 over the blu ray set it makes sense for me, as i have the arrow video blu ray anyways, and intend to upgrade to 4k in the future. If i hear amazing things about the blu ray remaster then i can opt to get the standard release later. All that being said, i think these sets could end up being fantastic releases......hopefully. Does anybody know whether the discs will be housed in amaray cases, or in digipaks? I’m really hoping these are housed in digipaks - would be awesome!!
Price is lot cheaper than most expected
A lot was expecting price around £90 to £100 for 4K edition

Price is not bad considering what is included in each box set

The final specs will be shown on Tuesday on second sight website
This is what is known so far

New Extras on Disc 4

• Disc 1 – Theatrical Cut
    • New 4K scan and restoration of the original camera negative
    • Commentary by George A Romero, Tom Savini and Christine Forrest
    • NEW commentary for Travis Crawford
  • Disc 2 – Extended Cut
    • Produced using 4K scan of Theatrical Cut camera negative and 4k scan of Extended Cut interpositive
    • Commentary by Richard P Rubenstein
  • Disc 3 – The Argento Cut
    • Produced using 4K scan of Theatrical Cut camera negative and 4k scan of Argento Cut interpositive
    • Commentary by Ken Foree, Scott Reiniger, Gaylen Ross and David Emge
  • Disc 4 (Blu-ray) – Special Features
    • NEW – Zombies and Bikers documentary (59 mins)
    • NEW – Memories of Monroeville documentary (34 mins)
    • NEW – Raising the Dead documentary (23 mins)
    • NEW – The FX of Dawn documentary (13 mins)
    • NEW – Dummies! Dummies! interview (12 mins)
    • NEW – The Lost Romero Dawn Interview (20 mins)
    • Super 8 mall footage
    • Document of The Dead: Original Cut
    • Document of The Dead: The New Cut
    • The Dead Will Walk 2014 Documentary
    • Trailers, TV and Radio Spots
  • Audio CD Disc 1
    • The Goblin Soundtrack
  • Audio CD Disc 2
    • The Complete De Wolfe Library Cues Part 1
  • Audio CD Disc 3
    • The Complete De Wolfe Library Cues Part 2
  • Plus:
    • 150 page hardback book featuring new essays, archive interview and rare stills
    • Dawn of The Dead: The novelisation book

Last edited:
Hard to tell will depend on the standard edition what discs will be included

Assuming both standard edition will be 4 discs
Standard edition when release happens estimate price but I'm just guessing £40 (4K) and £30 (Blu-ray) might be even higher price
Will the standard editions come in a slipcover do you think?

I'm not sure wether to jump in on this or wait for the other ones....

Will the standard editions come in a slipcover do you think?

I'm not sure wether to jump in on this or wait for the other ones....
Usually standard editions from second sight are just the black amaray case with no slips

Assuming standard edition is 4 discs that might be different I dont know for sure if they will use a slipbox or slipcase

There might be slight possibility of a steelbook release later but that's just me guessing

Last edited:
Would have been nice if they included a Steelbook with this
That's something that could happen later

Second Sight will had a lot of UHD and Blu-ray discs made this would cover all releases limited editions and standard editions and possible steelbook.

Most of the discs will be for the standard edition

From this they use a % of discs for the limited edition box sets with the rest of the disc stock for the later standard edition
They could use some of that disc stock for a later steelbook if they wanted.

I expect they will be looking how quickly the limited editions box sets sell to decide if they plan later a steelbook release.

I hope they release a regular edition at some point. Don't really care for any of the extra stuff in this.
Second Sight always do standard edition after limited editions are sold out

Majority of discs print run goes towards the standard edition
From that print run you get a % of the discs used for limited edition

Reactions: Miku
Damn! Thanks.

Shame they're MetalPaks and FuturePaks though. Really not into those.
Some MetalPak and FuturePak can be amazing looking but some are average to very basic

There has been some metalpak and futurePak releases that have fantastic embossing used

MetalPak/FuturePak releases of Godzilla and Halloween II are fantastic and are lot better looking than the steelbook releases
Suspiria FuturePak is also fantastic looking
Halloween 4 Lenticular FuturePak is also cool looking

You can do lot more detailed deeper embossing on a MetalPak/FuturePak and no border is required like you see on steelbooks
The issue with FuturePaks is not all releases have used embossing

Reactions: MrSquifler
Some MetalPak and FuturePak can be amazing looking but some are average to very basic

There has been some metalpak and futurePak releases that have fantastic embossing used

MetalPak/FuturePak releases of Godzilla and Halloween II are fantastic and are lot better looking than the steelbook releases
Suspiria FuturePak is also fantastic looking
Halloween 4 Lenticular FuturePak is also cool looking

You can do lot more detailed deeper embossing on a MetalPak/FuturePak and no border is required like you see on steelbooks
The issue with FuturePaks is not all releases have used embossing
For me, it's the spines.

I really don't care for the MetalPak spines. Same with FuturePaks. I've never had an IronPak though. The only MetalPak I've got is from Batman Arkham Origins. I love the embossing and the finish but I hate the spine.