Dawn of the Dead (1978) (4K and Blu-ray Limited Edition Box Set) (Second Sight Films) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 16, 2020
Purchase links: Second Sight 4K - BD - Amazon UK 4K - BD - Zavvi 4K - BD - HMV 4K - BD (Pre-order date Tuesday May 26th at 12PM Midday UK time)
Price: £79.99 (4K) (Second Sight - Zavvi) - £69.99 (BD) (Second Sight - Zavvi) - £74.99 (4K) (Amazon - HMV ) - £64.99 (BD) (Amazon - HMV)
Notes: 4K Box Set Limited to 12,000 and Blu-ray Box Set Limited to 6,000 - Second Sight Website will be UK shipping only

EihjUMcXkAENh6I.jpg

89770343_1753413558126403_7759930113348599808_o.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh Amazon UK isn't shipping to the USA. I really don't want to order from Zavvi. Last time I ordered from them the bluray literally came mangled :LOL:

Cheapest at HMV at the moment, 64.99 for blu ray, 74.99 for UHD, both versions still in stock. Free delivery over £20, as I recall.

Is there any obvious reason as to why they would be cheaper than the Second Sight store, when they're the ones making it?

Cheapest at HMV at the moment, 64.99 for blu ray, 74.99 for UHD, both versions still in stock. Free delivery over £20, as I recall.

Is there any obvious reason as to why they would be cheaper than the Second Sight store, when they're the ones making it?
HMV are a bigger seller as they sell more products so can offer a more competitive price?

Retailers like Amazon and HMV have a decent file discount with distributors due the amount of stock they regularly order from them
The file discount varies between distributors.
The likes of Amazon and HMV are in a position to negotiate better terms than other retailers.

This is how big main retailers can reduce prices on new releases
They pay the dealer price but that is reduced by the file discount they get.
Smaller size retailers have low to no file discounts with distributors and is why their prices are higher.

Amazon will drop price before release date to match HMV price or even have lower price.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: nathan9216
are the library cues gonna be worth it (except from the completist point of view) cause first time i saw the director's cut it was such a disappointment, used to the goblin score i hate the romero's cut soundtrack. at the end when Peter fight his way to the chopper with this A-Team tune, really awful.... so what to expect from the library cues ?

Last edited:
@Jocelin Do as I do. Wait for more barebones release. I know I know. This is kinda hot right now. Everyone's talking about it, but eventually only the movies matter, not some obscure extras. (Tho I like extras, not obscure ones.) For excample one can get the book for a buck from amazon etc.

@Jocelin Do as I do. Wait for more barebones release. I know I know. This is kinda hot right now. Everyone's talking about it, but eventually only the movies matter, not some obscure extras. (Tho I like extras, not obscure ones.) For excample one can get the book for a buck from amazon etc.

Impossible !!! i love to collect special editions, mostly for movies i like, otherwise i dont really bother, and DOTD is one of my favourites, so if there is an edition i'm looking forward to, it is this one !
Only the movie matters ? If this was true, some members would not buy empty HD Zeta boxes from movies that are banned in China... :rofl::rofl::rofl:
now seriously, and i already own all cuts in multiple editions and i usually dont even look at the extras, but sometimes when they are really worth it it is amazing to look at, like the old boy documentaries, or the LOTR extras, superman extra's.... just to name a few.
I will definitely have a look at the extras of DOTD i haven't see yet.

Reactions: Space Cadet
Impossible !!! i love to collect special editions, mostly for movies i like, otherwise i dont really bother, and DOTD is one of my favourites, so if there is an edition i'm looking forward to, it is this one !
Only the movie matters ? If this was true, some members would not buy empty HD Zeta boxes from movies that are banned in China... :rofl::rofl::rofl:
now seriously, and i already own all cuts in multiple editions and i usually dont even look at the extras, but sometimes when they are really worth it it is amazing to look at, like the old boy documentaries, or the LOTR extras, superman extra's.... just to name a few.
I will definitely have a look at the extras of DOTD i haven't see yet.

Love this film too. Have the 3 disc dvd. But this time gonna pass this big box. But gonna get The Woman and Pitch Black. Love Arrow boxes. And second sight the Changeling is one to own too.

Expensive expensive ...

• Friendly
Reactions: Jocelin
Hi Paul,
what are the chances the pre-orders could not be fulfilled by amazon or zavvi ? shall one be safer than the other ?
Amazon you be safe to pre order from
Zavvi have had issues with some Second Sight releases before they missed the cut off date but that was a few years ago and as far as I know have sorted this mistake

Second Sight have a cut off date you need to submit for pre order releases some retailers have missed that date before
It's not an issue if still in stock after release date but can be if it's sold out with Second Sight

I would avoid ordering from Base.com as they are not realible for pre orders on limited editions that sell out

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Jocelin
Amazon have price matched HMV also now for the 4K edition
£74.99

Hopefully Amazon might drop price even more before release date
Sometimes Amazon drop prices for a few hours or for just a few minutes
The pre order price promise covers this if you get your pre order before that possible later price drop

Last edited:
Amazon you be safe to pre order from
Zavvi have had issues with some Second Sight releases before they missed the cut off date but that was a few years ago and as far as I know have sorted this mistake

Second Sight have a cut off date you need to submit for pre order releases some retailers have missed that date before
It's not an issue if still in stock after release date but can be if it's sold out with Second Sight

I would avoid ordering from Base.com as they are not realible for pre orders on limited editions that sell out

Thanks a lot for Paul ! I havev only 1 (not that great) experience with zavvi so i will cancel and keep the amazon pre-order i placed this afternoon. Considering i will save a few £ with the amazon price drop next to the zavvi preorder

Reactions: paulboland
If they included both Blu-ray and UHD discs in one release the price would be very high and affect sales as a lot would be less likely to purchase.

This is a brand new 4K remaster of all 3 film cuts and has lot of brand new extras.

There will be standard edition later when limited editions sell out

The price is already very high.
Just about every 4K release includes Blu-ray. All boxsets and steelbooks are all + Blu-ray and it doesn't seem to affect the price.

The price is already very high.
Just about every 4K release includes Blu-ray. All boxsets and steelbooks are all + Blu-ray and it doesn't seem to affect the price.
Second Sight are a indepenent distributor
They had to pay a lot to rights holder to licence all 3 cuts of the films for a 4K UHD and Blu-ray release
There was also high costs involved in doing brand new 4K restoration of each film cut
There was also costs involved in doing new extras

The price to include both 3 x 4K dIscs and 4 x Blu-ray discs in one box set with the CD Sountracks and 2 books would be a huge amount and affect sales
Separate editions better option to get sales as a lot of consumers still not upgraded to purchasing 4K UHD discs yet
Most are viewing 4K UHD films by streaming

It would be risky for indepentent distributors to do 4K/Blu-ray in one release when licence cost involved is high and sales of 4K UHD discs is tiny compared to DVD and Blu-ray discs sales

If you want cheaper edition wait for the standard editions later that will be released when the limited editions sell out

If different with major film studios 4K releases from the likes Universal/Warner/StudioCanal/Lionsgate/Sony etc they own the rights to their films they release