Thunder Bay
Released: November 8, 2019
Platforms: PS4
Purchase:
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Zavvi.com

1.jpg

It's official! Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid) and his new studio, Kojima Productions, are coming to the PS4 in exclusive capacity! :D

The new studio will be independent, so Sony won't own them, but this seems like the beginning to a very awesome relationship.

300px-Death_Stranding_cover.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So what are people's thoughts on this so far? I played it for most of yesterday and it's mostly just been lots of cutscenes and walking lol. Looking forward to getting further into it though, and there's no doubt that it's a gorgeous looking game with some impressive mechanics!
I'm torn between this and Modern warfare at the moment :wow: Just don't know which one to pick up. Have you played MW yet mate?

Whichever one I don't pick up will be a Christmas present :LOL:

I'm torn between this and Modern warfare at the moment :wow: Just don't know which one to pick up. Have you played MW yet mate?

I played the MW beta, which just focused on multiplayer and I wasn't really a fan of. The single player stories for CoD have always been enjoyable though, and if you've also enjoyed their previous games, then I'd say MW is probably the safer bet for you.

Reactions: Robles
I played the MW beta, which just focused on multiplayer and I wasn't really a fan of. The single player stories for CoD have always been enjoyable though, and if you've also enjoyed their previous games, then I'd say MW is probably the safer bet for you.
Problem is with MW is I always finish the campaign so quickly and im really looking for something to get into :wow:

I normally pick up most games from release but after Breakpoint, I havent bothered ( Maybe I'm just getting old:LOL::rofl:) But I really need something to get my teeth into.

Problem is with MW is I always finish the campaign so quickly and im really looking for something to get into :wow:

I normally pick up most games from release but after Breakpoint, I havent bothered ( Maybe I'm just getting old:LOL::rofl:) But I really need something to get my teeth into.
Well in that case, then maybe Death Stranding is the one to go for lol. Like I said... I spent a lot of yesterday playing it and yet I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. It's a pretty slow paced game, so be prepared for that.

I very rarely pre-order games nowadays either mate, so it takes something truly special to get me to blindly spend my cash on a game before seeing reviews. Hell, I haven't even ordered the new Star Wars, and I'm a SW nut!

• Haha
Reactions: Jace88 and Robles

Chalk and cheese videogaming right here lol. If you want something fun with immediate satisfaction in the traditional sense go with MW but if you want something slowburn and a setup that's intent on doing something else entirely from normal big budget games.. choose Death Stranding. Do you wanna be a solider or a UPS delivery man? :D

• Haha
So what are people's thoughts on this so far? I played it for most of yesterday and it's mostly just been lots of cutscenes and walking lol. Looking forward to getting further into it though, and there's no doubt that it's a gorgeous looking game with some impressive mechanics!

I’m yet to boot it up...are you enjoying it?...which edition did you get?...I went for the Higgs variant as I had a £5 amazon voucher.

Well in that case, then maybe Death Stranding is the one to go for lol. Like I said... I spent a lot of yesterday playing it and yet I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. It's a pretty slow paced game, so be prepared for that.

I very rarely pre-order games nowadays either mate, so it takes something truly special to get me to blindly spend my cash on a game before seeing reviews. Hell, I haven't even ordered the new Star Wars, and I'm a SW nut!

**** mate, I'm surprised at that, to be honest, Even I still have the star wars release preordered as to be fair it has looked to be one of the best to come out so far and weirdly can't wait for it to come out :rofl: But gonna have to choose death stranding over MW I think.

Chalk and cheese videogaming right here lol. If you want something fun with immediate satisfaction in the traditional sense go with MW but if you want something slowburn and a setup that's intent on doing something else entirely from normal big budget games.. choose Death Stranding. Do you wanna be a solider or a UPS delivery man? :D
HAHAHA love your quote on the Ups man :rofl::rofl: Gonna have to be that, ive always wondered what it would be like to be a UPS man:rofl::thumbs:

I’m yet to boot it up...are you enjoying it?...which edition did you get?...I went for the Higgs variant as I had a £5 amazon voucher.
Hard to say... I begin to find it a little tedious, and yet I can't stop playing lol. I went all out on this one and picked up the Collector's Edition with the BB Pod. Love that Higgs variant slip though!

Reactions: Lukesablade
**** mate, I'm surprised at that, to be honest, Even I still have the star wars release preordered as to be fair it has looked to be one of the best to come out so far and weirdly can't wait for it to come out :rofl: But gonna have to choose death stranding over MW I think.
Lol I surprised myself too. To be fair, it's mainly because I can't really afford it right now... plus I want to get Death Stranding out of the way before I even consider picking up another game. I still haven't completed the story for Battlefront 2 come to think about it!

Hard to say... I begin to find it a little tedious, and yet I can't stop playing lol. I went all out on this one and picked up the Collector's Edition with the BB Pod. Love that Higgs variant slip though!

I had the special edition on pre order but I thought I’d cancel that and save myself £25 as it’s not really that “special” , Ill put that money saved towards Star Wars next week as I have that on pre order for £35(god knows when I’ll get to it though)...I love the collectors edition but as with all collectors editions I’d have nowhere to put it...I’m usually a special edition kind of person, I have all the PS4 exclusives in that form but this just ended up been an uninspired steelbook...anyway I’ve just put a couple of hours in and got past the first chapter, to say it’s only really been cutscenes and a few deliveries I’m really digging it...I may splash out on the BB controller.

Reactions: Robles and Noodles
I had the special edition on pre order but I thought I’d cancel that and save myself £25 as it’s not really that “special” , Ill put that money saved towards Star Wars next week as I have that on pre order for £35(god knows when I’ll get to it though)...I love the collectors edition but as with all collectors editions I’d have nowhere to put it...I’m usually a special edition kind of person, I have all the PS4 exclusives in that form but this just ended up been an uninspired steelbook...anyway I’ve just put a couple of hours in and got past the first chapter, to say it’s only really been cutscenes and a few deliveries I’m really digging it...I may splash out on the BB controller.
Hmm yeah, the Special Edition turned out to be really disappointing by the looks of it... I was expecting it to be one of those box type sets, not just a steel in a flimsy slip.

Haha I hear ya dude... I’ve no idea where I’m going to display the BB pod. I already have other editions boxed away because I have nowhere to display them either. That clearly hasn’t stopped me from buying even more though lol.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the game so far anyway mate. It’s 2am and I’m tempted to fire up my PS4 to play some more, so it must be doing something right! :D

It's been highly recommended that you haul ass through Chapter 2 focusing on story missions only because Chapter 3 will allow you to do all the same side content that's in 2 only with a bunch of upgrades that to start to render the game a bit more fun. At this point (about 9 hours in) I'm going to take this advice before I drop the game altogether lol. I feel like it's tipped over into territory I'm very quickly getting sick of. Things that are bothering me about the game so far..

The UI/text size is horrendous and feel like they really need to drop a patch in there to deal with it. The game's endlessly feeding you more and more information and data through text and tutorials and I swear against the white trying to even tell what button is on screen is a joke. It baffles me no one brung ths up during development.

General map and menu elements are kind of a videogame nightmare to me. Loadout screens are needlessly convoluted and only getting more so as the game goes on and it throws more and more stuff at you. Everything around the actual gameplay is souring the experience for me and makes me think I'm going to run out of patience lol.

Integral or not this whole social media liking business that helps form your progress.. I just don't give a toss about it sorry lol intentional or not I feel entirely disconnected when I'm being asked to spam likes on ****** signs and bridges lol Much has been made of the SOCIAL STRAND stuff but I feel entirely alone out there!

I feel like I'm in my element with the game when you cut out all the bs and just get out there and do some exploring.. however the game seems determined to stay linked to its many facets and gadgets and doohickies..which is very Kojima I suppose but it strikes me he really didn't bother his shirt in refining elements from MGSV's menu system much at all. As a pure gaming experience it's quite enjoyable but for the 50 hours it's asking of you I can see why it's rubbed some people the wrong way already.

And I don't trust a single one of these GOOD AMERICANS at all lol c'mon we're not even in America are we? We're in a Patriots network or something. :D I might sound harsh but my first session was acually much more positive.. I'm just feeling some burn out after wrestling with tiny text and all for 4 hours. Just need to hit chapter 3 get some enhanced gear and vehicles.

I mean it's.. kinda the most bonkers game I've ever played. :LOL: It is truly Hideo Kojima unleashed with seemingly no one stepping in to offer feedback at any point.. Kojima gonna Kojima and you better get used to it or just get out. And I don't know if anyone else feels this way but it's sort of hard to articulate why you want to keep going back to it. On the surface in getting some clue as to what the game would involve before release, I think I had the impression it would share a similar atmosphere and ambience with the likes of Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, RDR2 and Breath of the Wild.. and it really does, but I'm also finding the game way more stressful than any of those games. I don't feel as at ease as I should as I take a walk up some hills for many obvious reasons - everything beautiful looking is an obstacle that needs to be overcome.

I feel like the experience might finally be starting to form into something I can get more into. It only took it 15 hours to get me there lol. For a good while it's a struggle.. I mean barrier for entry feels pretty high. This might not be a souls-like game in the traditional sense but it definitely asks you to have patience as the game kinda fights you over and over in the early hours.. poking and prodding you asking you if you're ready to leave yet. Making you turn to the internet for a bit of a guidance more than once. End of Chapter 2 start of Chapter 3 for me (and many others I guess) finally starts to make it feel like ah right there is more of an actual videogame in here.. a videogame that does actually want to be a bit more gamey.

High highs and low lows for sure though.. yesterday I was on the verge of packing it in and today I'm feeling more invested than ever. I feel like this is just going to keep happening.. it feels like some kind of insane pilgrimage into territory that traditional big budget games don't dare to venture.. I don't know if it's breaking new ground or just in it for some mega trolling.. but I can totally see why some looking for a fun action/adventure game would totally hate it. :hungry:

Reactions: tridon and Noodles
@Last Lizard I completely agree with pretty much everything you've said about the game so far... there are so many cons, and yet I still keep going back to it, so it must be doing something right! It definitely starts to pick up around Chapter 3 anyway, and I feel like I actually have an idea of what the hell I'm meant to be doing now lol. I spent most of yesterday just grinding and building roads, and I didn't once get bored... traversing the landscapes (both on foot and in vehicles) and finding new locations is a joy in itself IMO. And the fact other players can see and use the roads I've built is pretty cool... feels like an actual achievement! Looking forward to progressing through the story today, now that I've no more roads to build. :p

I’m roughly 38hrs in, currently on chapter 5...and I’m addicted, this may be my game of the year...I’m blown away by how the game has unfolded since the first 10hrs or so(2 chapters)...chapter 4!WOW!

Reactions: tridon
I really need to crack on with this before it becomes yet another game on my uncompleted pile... had to break away from it one day due to other important matters, and haven't been back on since.

Dying to play the new Star Wars now, although I made a promise to myself not to buy another game until I've completed this. Anyone here actually finished it? Is it worth seeing through to the end?

I really need to crack on with this before it becomes yet another game on my uncompleted pile... had to break away from it one day due to other important matters, and haven't been back on since.

Dying to play the new Star Wars now, although I made a promise to myself not to buy another game until I've completed this. Anyone here actually finished it? Is it worth seeing through to the end?

Quite honestly if you're not enjoying the gameplay by Chapter 3 (by the time you start getting power/speed skeletons to wear) I'd say just watch the story unfold on youtube because essentially very little changes in the dynamic.. as I told a friend who was asking me about it and was struggling to stay invested - the game keeps piling on a wealth of tools for you to use but at the end of the day you're still just walking from one point to another for the entirety of the game. IMO the pacing is poor.. some really amazingly presented bossfights (even if they don't pose much challenge) and the story will find its way and is worth experiencing but for me personally.. I could have done with this being a more linear 25 hour experience because the good stuff I like from Kojima (story, whacky characters, unique action encounters) is planted too few and far between in the sessions it'll take you to see it through.

In thinking of it all now.. I think they took a bad angle with the secretive marketing and may have been a result of Kojima's lack of confidence in having people embrace a 50 hour walking sim. I applaud Sony and Kojima for taking a risk I guess.. love it or hate they didn't play it safe and while I really don't think it's any sort of new genre like he claimed (an aspect that I think will probably continue to haunt him) it at least shows big budget gaming breaking some new ground in fronting the cash for a game that was clearly going to be polarizing. If over time it encourages more creators and the financiers to aim further outside the box that can only be a good thing.