Thunder Bay
Released: November 8, 2019
Platforms: PS4
Purchase:
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Zavvi.com

1.jpg

It's official! Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid) and his new studio, Kojima Productions, are coming to the PS4 in exclusive capacity! :D

The new studio will be independent, so Sony won't own them, but this seems like the beginning to a very awesome relationship.

300px-Death_Stranding_cover.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm halfway through Episode 2 and yeah, it's a pretty big borefest right now. It feels like I've played the game for an eternity now but it's only been 6 hours. It's been rinse and repeat... and frustrating as hell (nothing like watching your cargo rot away because with all the cliffs and trees, there's still NO shelter to wait out the rain). MGS 1-4 are my favourite games of all-time, but I stayed away from MGSV because of the social elements (as well as the recasting of Snake, but that's a different story). Honestly, I'm feeling like Kojima's best days are behind him now. I'll grind out the rest of Episode 2, but if I'm not feeling it by an hour or so into Episode 3, I'm out. I don't have the time these days to waste on something that doesn't hold my interest.

70 hours later (yes really!) I'm finally at the tail end of the game. I can count at least four times I told myself I was done but kept going back in. The absolute biggest issue with this game is the pacing, specifically if you're looking for an engaging story to keep you involved.. you're just not going to find it here. It's clear for the most part Kojima made a choice to keep you almost completely in the dark until the very end. I think it's a bad move when your fanbase has come to expect a deep and immersive plot as the primary draw. Straight and simple critics may kiss his and the game's ass but as a veteran MGS fan; imo Kojima and open world are like oil and water. MGSV's gameplay is amazing, but the world and the same setup in how little story it has and wants to dole out to you in teeny tiny bites just does't work at all. Death Stranding's gameplay is..not amazing.. not ever.. but it sort of gets better I guess.. but he wasn't lying when he said "the game gets fun halfway through". Honestly it feels like a troll game. Games don't really always need to be fun in the traditional sense (Dark Souls are testament to this) but they should always be engaging and imo this game simply way too much of the time isn't.

I really wish this had been a linear 20 sum odd hour experience and also just wish they'd given you all the tools from the off instead of handing them out piece by piece every other hour. It's got some wild boss fights highly reminiscent of MGS (even if they play much simpler) and some wild moments that only Kojima could dream up.. but they seem way too few and far between. I was already sick and tired of open world inserting itself into every genre and this game is making me want to never play another open world game for 3 years lol.

According to friends who've finished the game I should be able to wrap it up in my next session. Hoping for the best and prepared for the worst in its 2 HOUR feature length ending. :D :confused:

Last edited:
A month too late Kojima you nudnik. Both these things (along with bigger text size which is also happening) should have been figured out at release. I think I would have actually enjoyed myself a decent bit more if I could have read things easier.. zoom function helped but it was still a pain in the ass. :confused:

A month too late Kojima you nudnik. Both these things (along with bigger text size which is also happening) should have been figured out at release. I think I would have actually enjoyed myself a decent bit more if I could have read things easier.. zoom function helped but it was still a pain in the ass. :confused:
As you mentioned before somewhere in this thread... it's kinda shocking they didn't pick up on these issues during testing. I mean, they're pretty big/obvious flaws IMO. Cargo blocking your view is one that especially got on my nerves, and although I didn't have too much trouble reading the text at first, it definitely became something I started to struggle with in certain areas as I progressed through the game (which I still need to complete by the way lol).

Actually been in the mood to continue playing this lately, so will most likely make the most of the whole self-quarantine malarkey and jump back on it. Tried to sell my collector's edition not too long ago and people were only interested if I sold it for pennies (not literally lol), so I eventually checked the going price on eBay and the place is full of folks trying to get rid, and for less than retail too... I remember when they were going for upwards of like £500 weeks before the game's release, now everyone's having to give them away lol.

Actually been in the mood to continue playing this lately, so will most likely make the most of the whole self-quarantine malarkey and jump back on it. Tried to sell my collector's edition not too long ago and people were only interested if I sold it for pennies (not literally lol), so I eventually checked the going price on eBay and the place is full of folks trying to get rid, and for less than retail too... I remember when they were going for upwards of like £500 weeks before the game's release, now everyone's having to give them away lol.

You're in the mood because people hiding in bunkers using holograms will soon be reality! Glad I sent mine back honestly because I was afraid of this.. eventhough my total playtime (not including idling I suppose) was just shy of 200 hours and I got the platinum not long ago. Translation.. the game actually grew on me a lot more.. after I had finished the story which is kind of bizarre :rofl: Though I think part of this comes down to the way the game is presented in that, essentially reaching every new area for the first time requires it to be as much of a slog as possible. It's only later with access to all tools and upgrades that I feel the game genuinely becomes more fun and engaging in its mechanics and it's only then I truly started thinking about how I could help players in the word with my own structures and road building. It's a satisfying feeling knowing other players will get some assistance from your own actions. And now once again prophetic Kojima saw the future as we're now all isolating ourselves and soon we'll be feeling like couriers and postal workers are our real superheroes just like Sam Bridges :LOL:

Reactions: Noodles
You're in the mood because people hiding in bunkers using holograms will soon be reality! Glad I sent mine back honestly because I was afraid of this.. eventhough my total playtime (not including idling I suppose) was just shy of 200 hours and I got the platinum not long ago. Translation.. the game actually grew on me a lot more.. after I had finished the story which is kind of bizarre :rofl: Though I think part of this comes down to the way the game is presented in that, essentially reaching every new area for the first time requires it to be as much of a slog as possible. It's only later with access to all tools and upgrades that I feel the game genuinely becomes more fun and engaging in its mechanics and it's only then I truly started thinking about how I could help players in the word with my own structures and road building. It's a satisfying feeling knowing other players will get some assistance from your own actions. And now once again prophetic Kojima saw the future as we're now all isolating ourselves and soon we'll be feeling like couriers and postal workers are our real superheroes just like Sam Bridges :LOL:
Lol yeah, I've already been seeing quite a few memes floating about in regards to that. I hear you though... it's definitely a slowburner of a game and eventually being able to aid others does feel rewarding - I literally spent the majority of it building roads lol. Come to think of it... the main reason I want to jump back on is just to explore and build, rather than make progress with the story. But, yeah... kinda scary how close to reality it now is!

You know.. I was thinking the other day I could actually replay this one lol. Been almost a year now.

What I wonder is, in time, would other player structures show in your game if the community playing the game gets smaller and smaller?
As in what if the community is almost non-existent?! Would broken structures show on your map still?

When did the Director's Cut come out? And is it available for PS4/5 as well or just PC?

@Savage Clown Go for it! I really liked it.
Looks like it was just announced yesterday that it's making its way to the PS5 according to Polygon. Looks like there's no official release date as of yet. I think I'll wait until that releases as I'd rather have a dedicated PS5 rather than a PS4 game.