Upcoming Dexter (Season 9) [Showtime]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Screen Rant:

Despite some ups and downs, Showtime’s Dexter continues to be a ratings hit and critical darling for the subscription network. While certain aspects of the fan-favorite series are less cohesive, and subsequently less entertaining, than others – there’s no doubt the trials, tribulations, and murders of Miami Metro’s “blood guy” continue to captivate audiences.
As a result, it should come as no surprise that Dexter has been renewed for at least two more season arcs – meaning fans will get to enjoy another 24 episodes of watching Michael C. Hall explore the battle between his onscreen counterpart’s growing humanity and ever-present Dark Passenger.

Dexter season 7, alone, was reported to be in jeopardy a little over a month ago – as Hall and his representatives were pushing for $1 million per Dexter episode ($24 million total for two seasons) and Showtime wasn’t interested in going above a combined $20 million total. As we previously reported, even the $20 million figure would make Hall one of the most highly-paid actors on television. However, while the Showtime press release doesn’t (of course) address the actor’s compensation, Hall and the network have worked out a deal – as Dexter has been renewed for two more seasons. According to Showtime president of entertainment, David Nevins:
“The series is bigger than it’s ever been in its sixth season, both in terms of audience and its impact on the cultural landscape. Together with Michael, the creative team on the show has a very clear sense of where they intend to take the show over the next two seasons and, as a huge fan, I’m excited to watch the story of Dexter Morgan play out.”
Deadline caught-up with Nevins following the announcement, who clarified that the network’s negotiations with Hall weren’t nearly as difficult as we might have been led to believe – adding that the team has a plan for a three-year arc (which includes the current season):
“It’s been a pretty simple negotiation, and Michael C. Hall has been incredibly gentlemanly throughout the whole process. The biggest question was: what is the trajectory of the show creatively? And after speaking with (executive producers) John Goldwyn, Sara Colleton and Scott Buck, it became pretty clear that there was a very clear 3-year trajectory. Once we established that, this became a very simple negotiation, which went down pretty quickly.”
While this season of Dexter hasn’t been the series’ strongest narrative showing, there’s no doubt that with a few “kill of the week“ episodes, a number of especially bizarre serial murders, and Hall’s compelling performance as the titular character, season six has (so far) offered a strong continuation of the over-arching storyline.

Attachments

• Dexter.jpg
    Dexter.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 123kid
Nice! Catching up on the latest season now....awesome. One of the better seasons since 1 & 2. (oh, and the one with John Lithgow)

Holy **** at that premiere! That final scene was such a gut punch! How is this show not being talked about in here???? Hop to it folks!

Here is my prediction for the final two seasons. No spoilers below pertaining to this season, but there ARE spoilers for previous seasons.

I'm kind of wondering if Dexter is going to feel like he has no other choice but to kill Deborah now that she knows his secret. If it happens I don't think it'll happen until the next to last or last episode of THIS season, which would set up one dark ****ing final season.

Deborah (aside from Harrison) is the only thing he really has left that keeps him grounded to the point where he just doesn't go completely 100% psycho. In the books he's portrayed as someone who has ZERO emotional reactions to things and has to fake that. They refer to that in the series as well, but you can see he totally has emotional feelings, particularly when it comes to his family.

He loves Deborah more than anyone in his life other than his son, and I think that while it would completely destroy him and send him so far over the edge, the likes of which we have yet to see, I think he's going to feel that there is no way that he can be sure that she won't wake up one day and decide that he has to turn himself in, and if he says no, she's put in a position where she's got to arrest her brother.

I think he'll see that it's just eating her up from the inside, and that will be his convincing himself (along with not getting caught being rule #1 of The Code of Harry), that he has no other choice and that he's somehow being kind to her by doing it. He'll find some way to convince himself that he had no choice and that Deb is better off not living with that knowledge.

And once he does that, it's going to trigger something inside him that essentially allows the Dark Passenger to completely and utterly take over his life. He's managed to suppress that, in my mind, up to this point because he has people that count on him. He said as much to Doakes in Season 2 when he was talking about turning himself in for a brief moment, but then said no because people depend on him and would be devastated if they knew or found out, referring to Rita, Harrison and Deb.

With none of that really holding him back (not sure how Harrison will figure in...maybe Dex will send him to live with Rita's parents), he will just spiral and become reckless, which will cause him to get caught in the final season.

So...yeah. That's my prediction. Probably not super original, but I haven't really seen anyone's predictions on the rest of the series so...

Reactions: tridon
The premiere for Season 7 was one of the most perfect hours of television that I've seen in my life and easily the best that Dexter's been since The Trinity Killer's Season 4. Wow. I watched it last night and it's all I can keep thinking of.

Holy **** at that premiere! That final scene was such a gut punch! How is this show not being talked about in here???? Hop to it folks!

Here is my prediction for the final two seasons. No spoilers below pertaining to this season, but there ARE spoilers for previous seasons.

I'm kind of wondering if Dexter is going to feel like he has no other choice but to kill Deborah now that she knows his secret. If it happens I don't think it'll happen until the next to last or last episode of THIS season, which would set up one dark ****ing final season.

Deborah (aside from Harrison) is the only thing he really has left that keeps him grounded to the point where he just doesn't go completely 100% psycho. In the books he's portrayed as someone who has ZERO emotional reactions to things and has to fake that. They refer to that in the series as well, but you can see he totally has emotional feelings, particularly when it comes to his family.

He loves Deborah more than anyone in his life other than his son, and I think that while it would completely destroy him and send him so far over the edge, the likes of which we have yet to see, I think he's going to feel that there is no way that he can be sure that she won't wake up one day and decide that he has to turn himself in, and if he says no, she's put in a position where she's got to arrest her brother.

I think he'll see that it's just eating her up from the inside, and that will be his convincing himself (along with not getting caught being rule #1 of The Code of Harry), that he has no other choice and that he's somehow being kind to her by doing it. He'll find some way to convince himself that he had no choice and that Deb is better off not living with that knowledge.

And once he does that, it's going to trigger something inside him that essentially allows the Dark Passenger to completely and utterly take over his life. He's managed to suppress that, in my mind, up to this point because he has people that count on him. He said as much to Doakes in Season 2 when he was talking about turning himself in for a brief moment, but then said no because people depend on him and would be devastated if they knew or found out, referring to Rita, Harrison and Deb.

With none of that really holding him back (not sure how Harrison will figure in...maybe Dex will send him to live with Rita's parents), he will just spiral and become reckless, which will cause him to get caught in the final season.

So...yeah. That's my prediction. Probably not super original, but I haven't really seen anyone's predictions on the rest of the series so...

I think Dexter would
kill himself before he kills Deb
. Either way, this is gonna be one helluva rollercoaster season! :scat:

^^^ my favourite girl Yvonne joined Dexter for the season (see my avatar, lol) but Im waiting until the season is over to watch it. I just cant do the whole week to week thing. But Im glad to hear season 7 opened with a bang! And thanks for using spoiler tags guys.^^^

Dexter & Sons of Anarchy may be my favourite TV shows of all time I think.

^^^ my favourite girl Yvonne joined Dexter for the season (see my avatar, lol) but Im waiting until the season is over to watch it. I just cant do the whole week to week thing. But Im glad to hear season 7 opened with a bang! And thanks for using spoiler tags guys.^^^

Dexter & Sons of Anarchy may be my favourite TV shows of all time I think.

It's KILLING me waiting for next Sunday, but I have to do week-to-week with this show or else someone will spoil it for me like they did for Season 4's ending. :angry:

It's KILLING me waiting for next Sunday, but I have to do week-to-week with this show or else someone will spoil it for me like they did for Season 4's ending. :angry:

thats about the only thing you have to watch out for with watching later on is spoilers online. I cant wait for the season to be over so I can watch it! Good luck waiting till' next week, lol.

Reactions: tridon

Oh you think that's bad having to wait a week? The season after Harrison was born, it began with Dex being tired all the time and messing up his cases cause he couldn't get any sleep.

So the first two episodes leaked out a month in advance. I watched those two as soon as I could, and the second one ended with
that episode of him falling asleep in the wheel and flipping his car over with the body in the trunk. EEK!

And I was just infuriated because I now had to wait not only the 4 weeks before the show would BEGIN, but another two weeks before Episode 3 aired.

:ohno:

Oh you think that's bad having to wait a week? The season after Harrison was born, it began with Dex being tired all the time and messing up his cases cause he couldn't get any sleep.

So the first two episodes leaked out a month in advance. I watched those two as soon as I could, and the second one ended with
that episode of him falling asleep in the wheel and flipping his car over with the body in the trunk. EEK!

And I was just infuriated because I now had to wait not only the 4 weeks before the show would BEGIN, but another two weeks before Episode 3 aired.

:ohno:

I remember when those went online early! I was sooo tempted to d/l them, but I refused because I knew it'd kill me. :p

This week's episode was another killer! In two episodes, I can already tell that this'll be my favourite season since season 4. It's awesome to see Ray Stevenson on here, too. Can't wait until this Sunday!!!

I almost ordered Showtime just to see Season 7 but I think am too far behind now for it to matter.

Glad to hear there will be a Season 8.

I remember when my wife was watching these on Netflix Streaming (when they were available) and I kept telling her how dumb the show was until I finally sat down and watch one episode all the way, I was hooked.

Love the show.

Cheers!