IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Everything We Know So Far About Disney’s Streaming Service: Pricing, Content, etc...

disney-plus.jpg

When will Disney+ launch?

Disney+ will be available in the United States from November 12, 2019.

Over the next two years, Disney plans to implement an international rollout of the service, launching the platform in each major region of the world.

Disney Direct-to-Consumer and International Division President Kevin Mayer previously confirmed in an interview with French magazine Capital that the platform would be available “a little later in Europe.” It is possible that some local content may need to be added to the mix to comply with European Union rules, though this has not been confirmed at this time.

How much will Disney+ cost?

How-much-will-Disney-cost.jpg.jpeg

The service will cost $6.99 a month or $69.99 a year.

Disney’s lower price tag (compared to Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix) will reportedly reflect the lighter content load on the platform, as the volume of movies and TV shows will be slightly more limited to begin with, but they will continue adding to the roster as time goes on.

How will Disney+ work?

Subscribers will have the ability to access the service across a range of different devices with streaming available through Smart TVs, web browsers, mobile devices, and gaming consoles, with the capacity to adjust to the best possible high-definition viewing experience, supporting up to 4K HDR video playback.

Another very exciting feature is that the entire Disney+ library will reportedly be free to download on to subscribers devices, without restrictions or limitations, so all content from the service can be accessed and viewed while not connected to the internet.

Joy.JPG

At this stage, it is believed that Disney+ will take a more traditional approach with their programming compared to other subscription platforms. Instead of releasing everything on the platform at once, Disney will wait until their usual slate of movies have debuted in theaters and left the physical media sales window before adding them to the service.

Disney also plans to keep their space family-friendly by diverting R-rated content to a separate library on Hulu.

What will Disney+ look like?

What-will-Disney-look-like.jpg

At the Disney Investor Day event on April 11, the company shared a first look at the interface of its new ad-free service.

The homepage features a carousel showcasing Disney+ originals, movies and television series alongside branded boxes that are populated with various franchises, including Disney’s own movies and TV shows, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, and National Geographic.

The company has reimagined the current streaming service model into a grid that is straightforward to navigate and operate with separate content hubs on the service that will be customized with a bespoke look and distinctive features to create unique user experiences in alignment with each universe. Users will also be able to design their own profile and build a custom avatar with their favorite characters from the Disney library.

“There’ll be an elegance to it, and an ease of use,” Bob Iger told Vulture when Disney+ was originally announced, suggesting that the company would try to streamline the experience to avoid repeating some of the user issues that have apparently been present on competitors platforms at one time or another.

What can you watch on Disney+?

What-can-you-watch-on-Disney.jpg.jpeg

The premium streaming service will have a variety of original programming as a further expansion of some of their existing popular franchises. This collection of exclusive content includes, but is not limited to, The Mandalorian, a live-action Star Wars series directed by Jon Favreau, and a second original Star Wars series focused on Rogue One’s Cassian Andor, as well as a Marvel spin-off show centered on fan-favorite character Loki, starring Tom Hiddleston. Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany will star as Wanda Maximoff and The Vision in WandaVision, a new series that will reportedly begin filming this fall. Elsewhere, Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan are teaming up for Falcon and Winter Soldier, another Marvel series that is expected to premiere within the first year.

Falcon-and-Winter-Solder.jpg.jpeg

As for the movies, there are a number of notable projects currently in the works, including live-action remakes of the animated classics The Lady and The Tramp, Peter Pan, and The Sword in the Stone, along with rumored reboots of live-action comedies, such as Three Men and a Baby, Father of the Bride, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, and The Parent Trap.

Interestingly, there have also been a considerable amount of book-to-movie adaptations confirmed, with Don Quixote based on the 1605 novel by Miguel de Cervantes making the list, together with Timmy Failure, The Paper Magician, Stargirl, and Flora and Ulysses. Family comedy Magic Camp, directed by Mark Waters and written by Dan Gregor and Doug Mand, from a story by Steve Martin, has reportedly completed production, so might be amongst the first to drop on the service.

However, since the majority of these releases will be staggered on the service, Disney+ will launch with an incredible amount of content from their back catalogue to accommodate fans of all ages, with everything from Disney’s beloved animated classics to their live-action movies, as well as a number of entries from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the ever-expanding Star Wars galaxy.

The-Simpsons-on-Disney.jpg.jpeg

Last month, Disney closed the deal with 21st Century Fox for $71 billion, which means that a selection of Fox content will also be available on the platform, including all 30 seasons of The Simpsons, TV’s longest-running primetime scripted series.

Other exclusive content includes a brand new documentary titled Into the Unknown: Making Frozen II, which will take audiences behind-the-scenes of the highly anticipated sequel to 2013’s Frozen, due in theaters on November 22.

On the animation front, all Pixar movies and their associated theatrical shorts will be loaded on to Disney+ within the first year of launch. There will also be a chance to get to know Toy Story’s newest star in Forky Asks A Question, a series of Pixar shorts, available on day one. Disney will debut another short film centered on Bo Peep, titled Lamp Life, but not immediately at launch.

Forky-Asks-A-Question.jpg.jpeg

For a complete change of scene, subscribers will be given the opportunity to explore the wonders of the world with more than 250 hours of content from National Geographic, including Academy Award winner Free Solo and a new docuseries called The World According to Jeff Goldblum, premiering at launch.

In total, in year one, subscribers will be able to rediscover more than 7,500 episodes of Disney TV fare and 500 movies from the Disney library on the streaming service, which CEO Bob Iger described at the presentation as a “bold step forward in an exciting new era” for the company.

Do we know why the Netherlands was the first European country to receive it?
Yes, multiple reasons actually....

1. In The Netherlands we learn English at a very young age. When kids are 12 they get lessons in French and German as well and have the opportunity to choose for additional languages like Spanish or Latin.
2. The Internet density is very high in The Netherlands (around 98% of the population has access to high speed internet) where almost every city and village has fiberoptic internet, along with speeds avering from 50mbps to 1000mbps. Thus making it easier for streaming content.
3. The implementation of Netflix, Spotify and other streaming services has been very high with alot of subscribers. Together with the fact that an average family home has access to internet speeds higher than 100mbps.
4. The Dutch language is the closest language to English.
5. We keep foreign languages intact and just add subtitles instead of pressing on for an additional soundtrack in our native tongue.
6. We are a country which prefers value over our spendings so we would rather spend 10 to 15 euros on a monthly basis for alot of content, than go out to the store and buy a single blu-ray, 4k or dvd for 10 euros or more.
7. Our country only has about 18 million people, so the density percentage of people getting a subscribtion isn't that high that the chances of a huge subscribe base overflowing the servers is pretty low. Thus making a perfect ground for testing a new streaming service.

UK/Ireland Disney+ launch is now March 24th

You can get pre sign up at €59.99 (£49.99) a year if you sign up before March 23rd a saving of €10.00 (£10.00) a year
Normal yearly price is €69.99 (£59.99)
If you pre sign up you will have access from March 24th

Ireland Disney + Pre Order link

If you want to chose monthly option that will be available to setup from March 24th as will a 7 day free trial option
Monthly price is €6.99 (£5.99)

Simpsons will not be on Disney + in UK/Ireland as Sky have the rights until 2021

There is also some reports online that Disney+ will be made available to Sky Q users and be similar to Sky Netflix Ultimate on demand setup and be integrated into Sky Q system
Sky has not confirmed this yet but they are looking to do a deal with Disney to make Disney+ available on Sky Q
It might be available on Sky Q from March 24th launch date but this is still TBC

I have already pre ordered at the special offer price €59.99 a year I done this before I found out about possible been available on Sky Q

I think a monthly option is best bet here. Really, I'd only be wanting this for the exclusive content.

Let some shows build up and then binge watch for a month or two. And then wait again until some new content arrives. No point in having it for a year and watching the same old films.

Then again, I've managed to watch The Mandalorian without any subscription at all.....ahem...! :p

Reactions: luke98
Disney + to me is excellent value
There is a good few disney films not had a Blu-ray release in UK that will be on Disney +

Those with Sky Q you can subscribe direct with Sky or choose to subscribe direct with Disney

Sky only have monthly option
£5.99 UK €6.99 Ireland
You can Subscribe direct with Sky from March 24th

If you subscribe direct with Sky you will have Disney + integrated into Sky Q system as see content on home screen and use search function without having to open the Disney + App

If you subscribe direct with Disney you just use the Disney + App on Sky Q but won't have intergrated features on Sky Q

I signed up direct with Disney and saved €10:a year on annual subscription and also works out lot cheaper than monthly option
Pre order Annual sub direct with disney before March 23rd
£49.99 UK
€59.99 Ireland

If you pay monthly €6.99 × 12 = €83.88 so getting Annusl Sub for €59.99 works out good value

Disney + App will be available on Sky Q box on March 24th

Last edited:
'A number of films, including Home Alone, Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties were initially available on the service in the U.S. but were pulled. They will all be available on the UK service'

Here we go.....

I thought this was supposed to be the complete Disney collection, made available to everyone.

If they start holding back certain things for different regions its going to start pissing people off.....

'A number of films, including Home Alone, Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties were initially available on the service in the U.S. but were pulled. They will all be available on the UK service'

Here we go.....

I thought this was supposed to be the complete Disney collection, made available to everyone.

If they start holding back certain things for different regions its going to start pissing people off.....
UK/Ireland has more content than USA
So we gain not loose content

Sky customers even gain more as Sky has rights to lot of content
The deal is some of this shared with Disney + in UK/Ireland

If you want to know the full list of content that will be available on Launch in UK/Ireland

Details below in link
It's a huge list and if you want to be surprised to what will be included dont read the list

Disney + in UK/Ireland is brilliant value in my opinion in terms of the content

• Helpful Post
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Anybody else remember a TV series from early 2000 called My Friends Tigger And Pooh? Where they were 'Super Sleuths' and used to solve cases.

I only ask because my first born used to watch it every day and the theme tune is burned into my brain forever!! :p

Anyway, when it ended it was never repeated anywhere. And it's not available on this Disney+ either.

I guess I just want to hear that theme tune one last time!! :D

Pass, they don't have Deadpool!!! :p

Strange how they have the other Fox Marvel films though but not that one.

Must be because of the R rating!
That's because Disney + is all family friendly , thats the objective so parents never have to worry. All the R rated content is on or will be on HULU since they own that. Least that is what they said at launch. fyi

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Disney have halted production on some projects and are bringing the streaming of Frozen II forward by three months to cheer people up.......

Gotta say, I absolutely love this Disney plus service :happy: :thumbs:

Had this for a few days now and don't think we have been off it since. So many great things on here and most that I haven't watched before and now just starting to get into :happy: Agents of shield, Agent Carter, Inhumans and the Mandalorian just to name a few.

Apart from Endgame, I hadn't watched a Marvel film for ages. This really has brought my love back for these films :LOL: Damn they have been on back to back:spoil:

If anything this has made my families time during this situation that little bit better :happy: and all for £5.99 a month:notworthy::thumbs: