Disney Wins Bidding War to Buy 21st Century Fox; Acquisition Complete

kaw

Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
CNBC reports that 21st Century Fox has been holding talks to sell most of its company to Disney, which would include the feature film and television divisions, meaning Star Wars: A New Hope would officially be owned by Lucasfilm/Disney. It would also mean that every major Marvel Comics property that Fox owns—including X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool—would potentially come under the Marvel Studios umbrella, opening the door to combine these various characters and universes with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This is very early and CNBC notes that at this very moment, the two companies aren’t talking. But apparently there’s been an on again/off again relationship with these negotiations, so they could resume at any minute. And indeed, this CNBC story feels like a leak intended to move the conversation along.

21st Century Fox’s management is under the belief that they can’t compete with the media scale of other studios, and that Disney has the scale necessary to take its film and television productions to new heights.

But 21st Century Fox wouldn’t sell all of its company. By offloading its media properties, the studio would keep a tight focus on news and sports. Since a company can’t own two broadcast networks, Fox would remain under the 21st Century Fox control/umbrella, as would the Fox sports programming as Disney believes joining forces between ESPN and Fox Sports could be seen as anti-competitive from an antitrust standpoint. The same reasoning relates to their decision not to buy Fox News or Fox Business, which would also remain with 21st Century Fox.

But Disney would own the movie studio, TV production and international assets, and networks such as FX and National Geographic. The movie implications are the largest here, at least from a consumer standpoint.

Source: Collider

Attachments

• disney_mouse_bite_fox_illo.jpg
    disney_mouse_bite_fox_illo.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 277
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlienKing
Fox just announced at Disney's CinemaCon panel that new entries into the PLANET OF THE APES, KINGSMAN, AVATAR, ALIEN, and MAZE RUNNER franchises are in the works and will still happen! :D
THANK YOU Disney! :woot: Please make it a PotA continuation with Caesars son! :drool: :cool: :notworthy: And hopefully Matt Reeves returns as Director! :thumbs:

Kind of surprised about Maze Runner. I Personally LOVED the first movie (liked the other two) and read the books as well.
I know there are a few more books in the series that are prequels that I guess they could do... But It kind of seems like a good point to end it.
I don't think ANYONE was asking for more. I was just happy Wes Ball was able to move on to something else and do something really great. I really hope they don't drag him back.

Honestly, even though Fox is saying there's more Maze Runner in the future, I don't see it. They made a fair amount of money, but they weren't $500-million+ hits or anything. And they ended on a natural note, so yeah... I think they had a good run, but they should be done. Also, SO excited to Wes Ball's Mouse Guard!!

I could see Disney taking over the distribution reigns on Avatar since they already have a good relationship with James Cameron and the franchise. For the Apes, I could see them maybe trying an animated series. That'd be pretty cool and would probably be financially cheaper to kickstart.

Kingsman already has a prequel in the stages and I don't think we'll see anymore from that franchise after it wraps.

Alien is the one hear that really makes me happy. I'm glad they're going to still focus on that series... but what will the next installment be? Would Disney be willing to bankroll Ridley Scott's final Prometheus film? Or maybe we'll get Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5?

Fox just announced at Disney's CinemaCon panel that new entries into the PLANET OF THE APES, KINGSMAN, AVATAR, ALIEN, and MAZE RUNNER franchises are in the works and will still happen! :D
Great news! Interested to see what direction they take POTA... kinda hoping they just reboot it with different characters or something. Alien is possibly the most exciting though... fingers crossed Blomkamp's vision finally comes to fruition!

At least we’ll get plenty of virtue signalling diversity in future releases. A gender fluid alien hybrid maybe? Avatar could really be the Avartarded once mimicked in Harold and Kumar. And Deadpool could be the poster boy for victims of religiously motivated acid attacks. The possibilities are endless. I for one am SOOOO excited for this acquisition.

I beg for this info!!!! As a chronic lover of, and owner of, all things POTA regarding books, movies and TV shows, I find this news most excellent. OOK OOK OOK!!!

Also quite pleased that Kingsmen and Alien franchises are going forward!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I beg for this info!!!! As a chronic love of, and owner of, all things POTA regarding books, movies and TV shows, I find this news most excellent. Whether they. OOK OOK OOK!!!

Also quite pleased that Kingsmen and Alien franchises are going forward!
Yeah, I'm excited to see what direction they take POTA. Knowing Disney they'll want to start a new franchise out of it... maybe a kid-friendly one?

@tridon @kaw maze runner as a spin off on Disney + as a streaming series I could understand. (not that im hip to the movies as I only saw part 1 and liked it)

But that was shown at cinema con so that typically means movies not something for Disney+ so thats a bit surprising.

Yeah, I'm excited to see what direction they take POTA. Knowing Disney they'll want to start a new franchise out of it... maybe a kid-friendly one?

I still think that if they got Blue Sky to work on a new animated film series through Fox's animation side of things, that'd probably be really fun and really profitable. I don't believe Blue Sky is working on anything at the moment and it'd be a real shame if Disney disbands them.

@tridon @kaw maze runner as a spin off on Disney + as a streaming series I could understand. (not that im hip to the movies as I only saw part 1 and liked it)

But that was shown at cinema con so that typically means movies not something for Disney+ so thats a bit surprising.

Actually, Maze Runner as a series on Disney+ probably would've been the best thing to do with the franchise. I really don't see a new film happening.

Kind of surprised about Maze Runner. I Personally LOVED the first movie (liked the other two) and read the books as well.
I know there are a few more books in the series that are prequels that I guess they could do... But It kind of seems like a good point to end it.
I don't think ANYONE was asking for more. I was just happy Wes Ball was able to move on to something else and do something really great. I really hope they don't drag him back.

Wellll...

Disney has officially cancelled Fox's Mouse Guard adaptation, so it looks like Wes Ball may be available for more Maze Runner now. (n)

LINK

Wellll...

Disney has officially cancelled Fox's Mouse Guard adaptation, so it looks like Wes Ball may be available for more Maze Runner now. (n)

LINK

Apparently it had a budget of $175 Mil Before advertising... thats insane and I completely understand why Disney put the breaks on it.
If it had a more modest budget I'm sure it wouldn't have got cancelled. I don't care how good it is, I doubt it will make its money back.
It would probably do similar numbers to something like Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. I freakin' LOVE that movie. But nobody saw it.

Wes did say:

So looks like another studio might be interested. Fingers crossed cause the movie sounds pretty awesome.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Apparently it had a budget of $175 Mil Before advertising... thats insane and I completely understand why Disney put the breaks on it.
If it had a more modest budget I'm sure it wouldn't have got cancelled. I don't care how good it is, I doubt it will make its money back.
It would probably do similar numbers to something like Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. I freakin' LOVE that movie. But nobody saw it.

Wes did say:

So looks like another studio might be interested. Fingers crossed cause the movie sounds pretty awesome.

I heard Paramount and Netflix were showing interest in the project. Hopefully someone comes through. It's a great comic and I can't wait to see its film.