Display Units/Bookshelves-Show your Collection!

Feb 17, 2011
Im not sure if there is a thread on this already if so not sure where to find.
But most of my collection is on a couple of folding tables some stuff stacked on top of each other due to lack of space or too much stuff lol.

Most are still in there boxes still sealed but be nice to have some on display.

What do you guys have or use to show off your collection?
Display case or bookshelf or other?

Im interested to know of any ikea stuff you got recently and how much and what was it called.
But other ideas or stuff might be usefull to know as may find similar.

Post your pics if you can so i can see what they are like.
I have no idea what to get as yet so reason i have started this thread. Thanks.

I used these:

https://www.buyunderlight.com/

Battery operated and motion activated and can be mounted almost anywhere! For $14.95 you get a battery pack + 2 LED light strips that can be linked to form a 24" strip. I bought 3 kits to create two 36" strips connected to two battery packs.

There is a switch that allows you to keep the light on from 1 - 3 minutes before it cuts off automatically!
They look good. Ive always thought of putting in light strips in my glass cabinets.

I used these:

https://www.buyunderlight.com/

Battery operated and motion activated and can be mounted almost anywhere! For $14.95 you get a battery pack + 2 LED light strips that can be linked to form a 24" strip. I bought 3 kits to create two 36" strips connected to two battery packs.

There is a switch that allows you to keep the light on from 1 - 3 minutes before it cuts off automatically!
Do you have these in the detolf? Got any pics or vids? I have since found something that maybe ideal but may work out expensive. Lightning is just an option for now may get later on but wanted to see what others used. But I'm going to get weather strips though to keep the dust out.

I store most of my collection in a custom wood cabinet. These may not work as well for an all glass cabinet because of the battery pack... not sure.

I tried to post some photos but the files were too big and I'm not sure how to shrink them. I'm going to see To see Logan but will try to do it later this evening!

Reactions: elle82
I store most of my collection in a custom wood cabinet. These may not work as well for an all glass cabinet because of the battery pack... not sure.

I tried to post some photos but the files were too big and I'm not sure how to shrink them. I'm going to see To see Logan but will try to do it later this evening!
There are phone apps u can use to shrink photos, i often use them because most of my pics are always too big. Mostly use my phone though on here.

The top shelf contains most of my 3D Blu-rays and I turned the underlights on so you can see the difference between having them on (top row) and off (bottom row). For reference, the cabinet is about 6 feet long and there are six doors (it is very long). Each kit comes with one battery pack and two 12" LED light strips but you can link multiple strips together.

I purchased three kits for the top row and connected three 12" strips to one battery pack and three 12" strips to another battery pack (leaving one unused). I did the same for the bottom and needed 6 kits total.

There is a motion sensor and you can set the lights to stay on for 1 or 5 minutes so the lights cut on when I open the doors.

The battery packs are larger than I would have liked but with my set up they stay out of sight.

I'm running out of space again and trying to re-organize so I apologize if it looks a little unorganized. If you have questions let me know.

IMG_4237.JPG IMG_4238.JPG IMG_4239.JPG IMG_4240.JPG

The top shelf contains most of my 3D Blu-rays and I turned the underlights on so you can see the difference between having them on (top row) and off (bottom row). For reference, the cabinet is about 6 feet long and there are six doors (it is very long). Each kit comes with one battery pack and two 12" LED light strips but you can link multiple strips together.

I purchased three kits for the top row and connected three 12" strips to one battery pack and three 12" strips to another battery pack (leaving one unused). I did the same for the bottom and needed 6 kits total.

There is a motion sensor and you can set the lights to stay on for 1 or 5 minutes so the lights cut on when I open the doors.

The battery packs are larger than I would have liked but with my set up they stay out of sight.

I'm running out of space again and trying to re-organize so I apologize if it looks a little unorganized. If you have questions let me know.

View attachment 301444 View attachment 301445 View attachment 301446 View attachment 301447
Nice set up, looks great!

Reactions: Shaggy78
My ikea in western australia and i believe adelaide are selling the large billy bookcase for $29 while stocks last. Wished it had been the brown/black as i would have purchased a bunch at that price. White cant be selling too well.
Maybe i should still buy and paint them brown lol.

Last edited:
Well hopefully in the near future i be able to display my collection the way it should be.
Picked up detolf units few weeks back which was on offer at my ikea and used a money off discount.

My next purchase was to buy some billy bookcase maybe one or two each month until i have no more room for them.

They cost like $109 each so was planning on getting two and use my $25 off $150 spend. I see a poster that says $29 each.
I question it in store i knew that white was on offer,but heard it was and error the $29 and white is probably why it was on offer as cheaper.
The black/brown is more common.
White is $79 where as black/brown is $109.
They never had white left,not that i wanted any but maybe they just reduced the black/brown ones until deal was over.
They where flying out the door,the lady i asked said back to full price next week which i asume is monday?
Could not believe it like $650 of billys for like $149 which included my $25 off voucher.
Dont you love ikea $29 for these is crazy price. If my car had the room i may have got a few more.
I hope 6 will be enough as im going to regret buying these at full price again as was heaps left.
I also tried getting the slimmer ones as it was on offer as well but was none left.
But cant complain on what i got. Im thinking if i had got these later next week and then found out about this i would have been gutted.
Perth and adelaide had this deal i believe.

Last edited:

View attachment 301444 View attachment 301445 View attachment 301446 View attachment 301447
Nice.
A very good idea. I am working on a similar idea. I have purchased a magnetic switch to put on the doors, so that when the magnets are separated (when opening) it activates the lights. Since the LEDs require little power - I will have them hooked up to a battery bank of 10 AA batteries (rechargable) that are hidden within the bookcase.
I'll post pics when I have it up and running.
Switch:
http://www.inspiredled.com/inspired-led-magnetic-switch

Nice.
A very good idea. I am working on a similar idea. I have purchased a magnetic switch to put on the doors, so that when the magnets are separated (when opening) it activates the lights. Since the LEDs require little power - I will have them hooked up to a battery bank of 10 AA batteries (rechargable) that are hidden within the bookcase.
I'll post pics when I have it up and running.
Switch:
http://www.inspiredled.com/inspired-led-magnetic-switch
Make sure u post pics when youre done :D

Reactions: C.C. 95
I have some steelbooks i want to display and have three little stands I got years ago which have been ideal.
But as they are from uk and do add up wondering what others used thats maybe cheaper.
Is there similar items in australia to try and save on shipping. I was thinking little easel type things but unsure.

I have some steelbooks i want to display and have three little stands I got years ago which have been ideal.
But as they are from uk and do add up wondering what others used thats maybe cheaper.
Is there similar items in australia to try and save on shipping. I was thinking little easel type things but unsure.
Maybe try small plate stands they could work. Shipping in steelbook stands is expensive.

Very cool! I'm looking up home theaters online and dreaming.

Maybe if I save 40-50k :)

But then I'll have to get the fiancé to buy off on it

Looks sick!!!

Other people post pics. Want some display ideas
Very cool! I'm looking up home theaters online and dreaming.

Maybe if I save 40-50k :)

But then I'll have to get the fiancé to buy off on it

You want me to post you saw it in person!! hahaha You should describe it to @elle82 maybe better coming from another persons perspective!! lol

Man only if you had more time, cause not sure if you noticed my custom surround sound. That was one of the first things I invested in when I bought the house.

• Thanks
Reactions: elle82
You want me to post you saw it in person!! hahaha You should describe it to @elle82 maybe better coming from another persons perspective!! lol

Man only if you had more time, cause not sure if you noticed my custom surround sound. That was one of the first things I invested in when I bought the house.
You know im waiting for more photos. Stop making me wait so long. Lol

So ive been talking to @Sigill about how im out of space in my cabinets and on my shelves and need to try and make everything fit in!
What do u guys do? And dont u dare say u start getting rid of stuff or sell it because i couldn't handle reading that.....:LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill