Do you own a region-free/switch Blu-Ray Player?

Own a region-free/switch Blu-Ray Player?

• Yes!

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • No!

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Not yet,but hopefully soon!

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Most discs are not actually locked/I just wait for a release in my own region!

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Reactions
78,881 6 0
Take the poll and share your answers with the community!

If you have one, which one?

Have fun!
DB

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Reactions
78,881 6 0
Awesome to see more folks chiming in about region-switch or multi-region players!

Sirjump

Steelbook Viking
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2011
Norway
Reactions
622 0 0
I have a Sony BDP-S550 and was able to remove region coding on DVD's with a Sony remote... anyone know if this unit can be modified for blu-rays also?

Sixteenvolt420

TV/Video Game/Music Mod
Premium Supporter
Oct 3, 2010
Drums, PA
Reactions
2,978 0 0
Region A here. I have my PS3 and a Sony Blu-ray Home Theater. I only use my ps3 for playing games, and will never watch a blu-ray in it, to help extend the life for as many years possible. I had an 80gb Motorstorm edition originally, but traded it in when gamestop had to $200 trade in credit towards a slim. I originally bought it refurbished and had it over 2 years, and wanted to get rid of it before it ended up dying, as i was reding of more and more fatties dying. I ended up putting a 500gb hdd into my fattie, and then when i got my slim, i switched it into my slim.

darczap

Premium Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
NJ
Reactions
7,078 0 0
I picked up Best Buy's Insignia NS-BRDVD4 model yesterday for $89.99. It supposedly has a remote hack to play all regions. Finally!

Sep 12, 2010
Michigan
Reactions
6 0 0
I picked up Best Buy's Insignia NS-BRDVD4 model yesterday for $89.99. It supposedly has a remote hack to play all regions. Finally!
EEK! Wow..thats great. Let us know if the hack works. That would make a great second/backup player also. I think the software hacks get killed when you do firmware updates tho...will be interested in what you find.

darczap

Premium Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
NJ
Reactions
7,078 0 0
EEK! Wow..thats great. Let us know if the hack works. That would make a great second/backup player also. I think the software hacks get killed when you do firmware updates tho...will be interested in what you find.
From what I've been reading on another forum, people have been confirming the remote hack to work on this model and the one with wifi as well. Someone indicated that a firmware update would not affect the hack. Not sure though. I have Solomon Kane on the way to me. I'll give it a spin once it comes and report back.

unam9

Ninja in Training
Premium Supporter
Jan 19, 2011
Texas
Reactions
669 0 0
From what I've been reading on another forum, people have been confirming the remote hack to work on this model and the one with wifi as well. Someone indicated that a firmware update would not affect the hack. Not sure though. I have Solomon Kane on the way to me. I'll give it a spin once it comes and report back.
A co-worker bought it and the remote hack works perfectly. I lend him some region B blus and he was able to play them without any problems. He also did the update on the player and has had no problems. As stated it is a great backup player to have

Black Sunshine

Quod Sum Eris
Premium Supporter
Nov 3, 2010
Jersey
Reactions
135 0 0
post more info on the model and the remote hack

Sep 12, 2010
Michigan
Reactions
6 0 0
+1 I love my OPPO but it would make a nice inexpensive second player and if the remote hacks works after firmware updates thats fantastic! :scat:

Ok...did a little research and it sounds like Insignia has released a Feb. firmware update that disables this remote hack on several of their models. Apparently a rollback to an earlier firmware version is possible but that may pose problems if the updates are necessary to address bug fixes, compatibility issues, etc with new movie releases. Just a heads up....still interested see any feedback on this.

Last edited:

darczap

Premium Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
NJ
Reactions
7,078 0 0
A co-worker bought it and the remote hack works perfectly. I lend him some region B blus and he was able to play them without any problems. He also did the update on the player and has had no problems. As stated it is a great backup player to have
To be on the safe side, I'm not going to update the firmware on the player. I'm going to use it to play only region B and C discs. Any region A discs will be played on my PS3 or my BDSP 360.

post more info on the model and the remote hack
Apparently with no disc in the tray, you have to hit the setup button, dial in 9 1 1 3. You get a menu and must choose regions. Select the appropriate region and pop the disc in. That is a condensed explanation that I've read somewhere else. The models are: NS-WBRDVD2 and NS-BRDVD4.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2013
Reactions
15 0 0
Considering buying one so i can start collecting region b locked movies

AcIDc0r3

Forum Support Manager
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Considering buying one so i can start collecting region b locked movies
What brand are you going to buy? I have an Oppo BDP-93 and I love it. It's 3D capable and it's region free. :oohyeah: I suggest their new model though, the BDP-103. :thumbs:

Jan 4, 2014
Orlando, Florida
Reactions
23 0 0
I have no plans on getting a region free player, but I do think its about time they stopped making the media region encoded, do the company's not understand they could make more money by opening up their product to the rest of the world.

Feb 5, 2013
Germany
Reactions
652 0 0
I only have a region B player, that's about 5 years old I think. But I usually only import Blu-Rays from UK so region lock is not a problem for me.

jdclark88

Premium Supporter
Jan 29, 2014
Reactions
774 0 0
Soon, I will have to do some research on a good and fairly priced region free player. With the help of this forum and few others, I have a few Region B's that I would love to watch!

Dano

Steelbook Nut
Premium Supporter
Feb 2, 2012
City of Champions
Reactions
2,252 0 0
I have an aging LG BH200. This was the player back in the day, plays BD, HD-DVD, and region free, both Blu-ray and DVD. The first for Blu-ray IIRC.