Do you own a region-free/switch Blu-Ray Player?

Own a region-free/switch Blu-Ray Player?

• Yes!

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • No!

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Not yet,but hopefully soon!

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Most discs are not actually locked/I just wait for a release in my own region!

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters
I have a Sony BDP-S550 and was able to remove region coding on DVD's with a Sony remote... anyone know if this unit can be modified for blu-rays also?

Region A here. I have my PS3 and a Sony Blu-ray Home Theater. I only use my ps3 for playing games, and will never watch a blu-ray in it, to help extend the life for as many years possible. I had an 80gb Motorstorm edition originally, but traded it in when gamestop had to $200 trade in credit towards a slim. I originally bought it refurbished and had it over 2 years, and wanted to get rid of it before it ended up dying, as i was reding of more and more fatties dying. I ended up putting a 500gb hdd into my fattie, and then when i got my slim, i switched it into my slim.

I picked up Best Buy's Insignia NS-BRDVD4 model yesterday for $89.99. It supposedly has a remote hack to play all regions. Finally!

I picked up Best Buy's Insignia NS-BRDVD4 model yesterday for $89.99. It supposedly has a remote hack to play all regions. Finally!

EEK! Wow..thats great. Let us know if the hack works. That would make a great second/backup player also. I think the software hacks get killed when you do firmware updates tho...will be interested in what you find.

EEK! Wow..thats great. Let us know if the hack works. That would make a great second/backup player also. I think the software hacks get killed when you do firmware updates tho...will be interested in what you find.

From what I've been reading on another forum, people have been confirming the remote hack to work on this model and the one with wifi as well. Someone indicated that a firmware update would not affect the hack. Not sure though. I have Solomon Kane on the way to me. I'll give it a spin once it comes and report back.

From what I've been reading on another forum, people have been confirming the remote hack to work on this model and the one with wifi as well. Someone indicated that a firmware update would not affect the hack. Not sure though. I have Solomon Kane on the way to me. I'll give it a spin once it comes and report back.

A co-worker bought it and the remote hack works perfectly. I lend him some region B blus and he was able to play them without any problems. He also did the update on the player and has had no problems. As stated it is a great backup player to have

+1 I love my OPPO but it would make a nice inexpensive second player and if the remote hacks works after firmware updates thats fantastic! :scat:

Ok...did a little research and it sounds like Insignia has released a Feb. firmware update that disables this remote hack on several of their models. Apparently a rollback to an earlier firmware version is possible but that may pose problems if the updates are necessary to address bug fixes, compatibility issues, etc with new movie releases. Just a heads up....still interested see any feedback on this.

Last edited:
A co-worker bought it and the remote hack works perfectly. I lend him some region B blus and he was able to play them without any problems. He also did the update on the player and has had no problems. As stated it is a great backup player to have

To be on the safe side, I'm not going to update the firmware on the player. I'm going to use it to play only region B and C discs. Any region A discs will be played on my PS3 or my BDSP 360.

post more info on the model and the remote hack

Apparently with no disc in the tray, you have to hit the setup button, dial in 9 1 1 3. You get a menu and must choose regions. Select the appropriate region and pop the disc in. That is a condensed explanation that I've read somewhere else. The models are: NS-WBRDVD2 and NS-BRDVD4.

Last edited:
I have no plans on getting a region free player, but I do think its about time they stopped making the media region encoded, do the company's not understand they could make more money by opening up their product to the rest of the world.

I´we been looking for a reasonably priced region free blu-ray/dvd player (nothing fancy)

I only have a region B player, that's about 5 years old I think. But I usually only import Blu-Rays from UK so region lock is not a problem for me.

Soon, I will have to do some research on a good and fairly priced region free player. With the help of this forum and few others, I have a few Region B's that I would love to watch!

I have an aging LG BH200. This was the player back in the day, plays BD, HD-DVD, and region free, both Blu-ray and DVD. The first for Blu-ray IIRC.