Does it amaze you that ...

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
We will soon be the old farts who grew up with CDs like our parents had records.

For the older folks here, yes I was around for tapes as well but my more prominent years were spent with cds.

I was just thinknig the other day ... it wont be too much longer and digital will be the only way to go ... I see it happening ... I see CDs sticking around a bit longer for storage purposes and such and maybe burning cds to one another but they will eventually vanish as record labels cut costs by going straight digital.

For me, its scary and sad at the same time ... :(

They have to come up with a new media, I hate digital downloads, I'd much rather buy the CD, also better sound quality.

I prefer CD as well. I think a lot of the younger youth don't really care about the quality they get with CD over mp3 though. I remember tapes though. Such a pain. LOL Trying to find a song and then passing it and rewinding LOL

I prefer CD as well. I think a lot of the younger youth don't really care about the quality they get with CD over mp3 though. I remember tapes though. Such a pain. LOL Trying to find a song and then passing it and rewinding LOL

Haha, those tapes were ridiculous. I ruined a bunch of those things fast forwarding/rewinding too quickly. I'm glad they came out with cd's.

I remember having a walkman lol i ahted carrying around like 4 tapes and spare batterys all the time.

I have to admit i prefer having mp3s to cds now, they are just too much space now. I have my whole libary of music in my car on my ipod, instead of lugging around my cd collection. I will only buy cds now after i ahve downloaded a album and i like it or its from a artist im a big fan off. And im only big fans of like 5 artists lol

Interesting fact: I have not purchased a single CD since Dream Theater's systematic chaos in 08 and before that not a single purchase since Metallica's St. Anger, and not a single purchase before that since I was 16.

So 2 CD's in the last 9 years. And just checking the dream theater website, looks like my next purchase will be black clouds and silver linings June23rd!

:scat:

Last edited:
Interesting fact: I have not purchased a single CD since Dream Theater's systematic chaos in 08 and before that not a single purchase since Metallica's St. Anger, and not a single purchase before that since I was 16.

So 2 CD's in the last 9 years. And just checking the dream theater website, looks like my next purchase will be black clouds and silver linings June23rd!

:scat:

so do you steal or purchase MP3's or is your passion for music a little small?

so do you steal or purchase MP3's or is your passion for music a little small?

To be very clear: I'm a musician, I don't steal music.

Between the age of 12 and 16 - I easily racked up hundreds of CD's, it was all I spent my money on - well except for my guitar stuff. My Dad was also a DJ and has thousands of records, also in a continuing collection. My brother's last count was around 34 days continous playback without a repeated song (except for remixes, of course) in his collection, and my last count was around 14 days worth.

It's not that I don't like music or have passion for it, its that I'm inundated with it to the point I don't need to purchase it. Someone already has, and I've likely heard the song 50 times more than I'd of liked since the majority of the crap I hear today is the sad result of a producer jack hammering his kak while he thinks about all the money he'll make off musically inept retards who will buy anything with a 4/4 count and stupid repeating lyrics that happen to make a snap-your-fingers beat or make you think the artist is connecting with you when really they're just whoring your emotions for a buck.

But I'm not bitter, I'm just saying that I'm disappointed with about 90% of the music produced today. Seems that ProTools has doomed us all to eternity of shoddy production, insulting compositions, and vocal enhancements. If I hear that stupid f#$king tone fixer that makes the voice sound like the singer got a helium balloon shoved down their throat one more time I'm going to kill small, cute, fluffy bunnies in the worst way.

Again, I'm not bitter, just annoyed. :cool:

There's your problem. you need to go underground. Anything worthy of radio, in my home town anyway, is not worthy of my ears. There is ALOT of good stuff out there, you just need to dig a little. For me it's metal. Sure, there is alot of the same ol same ol crap out there but for some reason I enjoy Chimaira, As I Lay Dying, Tribium, etc. They all sound the same but I like it. Most of the stuff i go for lately is from Europe. Some is underground and some is mainstream but it's all good IMO. Kamelot, Nevermore, Wolf, Nightwish, Dimmu Borgir, Meshuggah, etc. etc.. Wolf is really cool if you like the old school metal sound. they are prolly one of my fav. bands at the moment. Don't be foolled by their HORRIBLE album covers, haha.

Oh of course I go underground.. I'm alright with the metal myself.. All That Remains, Unearth, etc... all get my jollies rockin' - I believe a good dose of In Flames is just good life practice.

But, once you play in a metal band for a good portion of your life, you start to get tired of the hum drum math metal prog rock mix.. it really takes some dialing in the classical prose to get my head unstuck from the funk.

Dream Theater at least has been somewhat interesting although the last offering systematic chaos wasn't quite what I was hoping for... Truly I think their best stuff is still from Images and Words, and Awake.

My problem started when I started playing music in bands all the time - that's what happened. Don't get me wrong, I love music and couldn't live without it, but sometimes you just don't like anything you're hearing and you gotta sort through a lot of crap just to get to the goods to get the juice flowing again. It's a drug you see, like heroin, and my dosage is off the charts.

And by the way, nice drop on Nightwish, Dimmu Borgir, and Meshuggah - I always look forward to something new from these cats

ya, iu'm a musician myself and I'm not a real fan of the prog stuff. Meshuggah is about as progressive as i get. People used to call me crazy because I'm a drummer and I hate neil peart, hahaha. whatchagonnado.