Donnie Darko (Blu-ray+DVD with Slipbox Limited Edition) (Arrow Video) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: December 12th, 2016
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £27.99 (Arrow Films) - £23.99 (Amazon UK) - £24.99 (Zavvi)
Notes: Limited to 5,000

1.jpg

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director’s Cut from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of both cuts

• Original 5.1 audio (DTS-HD on the Blu-ray)

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

• Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut

• Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut

• Audio commentary by Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith on the Director’s Cut

• Brand-new interviews with cast and crew, including Richard Kelly and XXX

• The Goodbye Place, Kelly’s 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films

• The Donnie Darko Production Diary, an archival documentary charting the film’s production with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster

• Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly

• Archive interviews with Kelly, actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle and Katharine Ross, producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry and Casey La Scala, and cinematographer Steven Poster

• Three archive featurettes: They Made Me Do It, They Made Me Do It Too and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary

• Storyboard comparisons

• B-roll footage

• Cunning Visions infomercials

• Music video: Mad World by Gary Jules

• Galleries

• Trailers

• TV spots

• Exclusive collector’s book containing new writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials

• Limited edition packaging featuring new artwork by Candice Tripp

DETAILS:

RRP: £34.99 £27.99

Region: B/2

Rating: 15

Duration: 113 and 133 mins

Language: English

Subtitles: English SDH

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: DTS-HD 5.1

Discs: 4

Colour

Last edited:
Arrived today !, but, I'm really pi**ed off :mad:, Thanks to Zavvi shipping this in a single small jiffy bag , the damn box has sustained damage, including a tear to the outer slip and numberous dings/dents around the set. I think I'm done with zavvi.

Should have stuck with amazon, all for the sake of saving a few pence, wasn't worth it...

Arrived today !, but, I'm really pi**ed off :mad:, Thanks to Zavvi shipping this in a single small jiffy bag , the damn box has sustained damage, including a tear to the outer slip and numberous dings/dents around the set. I think I'm done with zavvi.

Should have stuck with amazon, all for the sake of saving a few pence, wasn't worth it...
I feel your pain! It just isn't worth ordering box sets like this from Zavvi, i learnt that long ago when i ordered "texas chainsaw 2" box ser and they sent it in that type of jiffy envelope - absolutely ridiculous, really. Even with Amazon, my "Videodrome limited box set" was delivered in a card type box...........but was left OUTSIDE ON THE DOORSTEP!! Never again will i take those risks. Want one in pristine condition? Then wait until it hits the shelves in HMV or FOPP on day one, then get down there and take your pick before it goes OOP or sold out. BUT pre-order from Amazon or Zavvi ONLY as a precautionary measure.........in case it sells out or is OOP before release. Cancel the pre-order if is still around come release date. I did this with the "Assault on precinct 13" 40th anniversary release.

Mine arrived from Zavvi today in the same packaging... thankfully my copy received less damage than yours, but it still has a slightly crushed corner. Definitely the last time I order anything like this from them! Amazon's slightly higher price is worth it for the peace of mind alone.

Mine arrived from Zavvi today in the same packaging... thankfully my copy received less damage than yours, but it still has a slightly crushed corner. Definitely the last time I order anything like this from them! Amazon's slightly higher price is worth it for the peace of mind alone.
Yeah, i thought that, but then i realized Amazon price is actually cheaper, and being over £20 threshold you get free postage, so i just ordered a copy after having been hmv who don't have any on the shelf at all. And it seems that FOPP are chrging £35 for this PLUS you have to order a copy, they not stocking the shelves with this, so it seems.

Yeah, i thought that, but then i realized Amazon price is actually cheaper, and being over £20 threshold you get free postage, so i just ordered a copy after having been hmv who don't have any on the shelf at all. And it seems that FOPP are chrging £35 for this PLUS you have to order a copy, they not stocking the shelves with this, so it seems.
In that case, it's a no brainer then... I haven't actually compared the prices since I pre-ordered, but I remember Zavvi's being the cheapest at the time (or maybe that was just because I'd used the 10% off code). Either way, I won't be making the same mistake again... I usually avoid Zavvi anyway and only order from them if their prices are beat other retailers, but now even that plan has gone out the window. Their loss!

In that case, it's a no brainer then... I haven't actually compared the prices since I pre-ordered, but I remember Zavvi's being the cheapest at the time (or maybe that was just because I'd used the 10% off code). Either way, I won't be making the same mistake again... I usually avoid Zavvi anyway and only order from them if their prices are beat other retailers, but now even that plan has gone out the window. Their loss!
Yeah, i know. Any digipak releases i NEVER order from them, been burnt once but never again. Like you said, even if you're saving a bit of money whats the point if that treasured edition is damaged? And every time you pull it from the shelve, your heart sinks a bit! Just not worth it.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Yeah, i know. Any digipak releases i NEVER order from them, been burnt once but never again. Like you said, even if you're saving a bit of money whats the point if that treasured edition is damaged? And every time you pull it from the shelve, your heart sinks a bit! Just not worth it.
Exactly mate... it's not worth the hassle and heart break in the end. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if Zavvi's customer service weren't so difficult to deal with either. Oh well, lesson learned!

Mine arrived today with a dent in the bottom of the spine. (n)
Ordered directly from Arrow with The Guyver (which was in mint condition, luckily). Can't take a picture atm, the dent isn't that bad but it is definitely an eyesore and a disappointment.
Seems like such a petty thing to contact them about but I suppose it's worth a shot.

Mine arrived today with a dent in the bottom of the spine. (n)
Ordered directly from Arrow with The Guyver (which was in mint condition, luckily). Can't take a picture atm, the dent isn't that bad but it is definitely an eyesore and a disappointment.
Seems like such a petty thing to contact them about but I suppose it's worth a shot.
Yeah, contact them! In the big scheme of things it IS petty, but me personally, i want these type of releases in absolute pristine condition so i would always try to get a replacement. Arrow know, and target, that their releases appeal to customers who treasure these releases ESPECIALLY the limited edition packaging, so they'll understand i am sure. I've returned stuff a few times because i figure i am spending with them, supporting their releases, regularly - the least i expect is to get a highly anticipated limited editon in undamaged condition. GO FOR IT!

Reactions: SeppeDR