Donnie Darko (Blu-ray+DVD with Slipbox Limited Edition) (Arrow Video) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: December 12th, 2016
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £27.99 (Arrow Films) - £23.99 (Amazon UK) - £24.99 (Zavvi)
Notes: Limited to 5,000

1.jpg

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director’s Cut from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of both cuts

• Original 5.1 audio (DTS-HD on the Blu-ray)

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

• Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut

• Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut

• Audio commentary by Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith on the Director’s Cut

• Brand-new interviews with cast and crew, including Richard Kelly and XXX

• The Goodbye Place, Kelly’s 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films

• The Donnie Darko Production Diary, an archival documentary charting the film’s production with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster

• Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly

• Archive interviews with Kelly, actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle and Katharine Ross, producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry and Casey La Scala, and cinematographer Steven Poster

• Three archive featurettes: They Made Me Do It, They Made Me Do It Too and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary

• Storyboard comparisons

• B-roll footage

• Cunning Visions infomercials

• Music video: Mad World by Gary Jules

• Galleries

• Trailers

• TV spots

• Exclusive collector’s book containing new writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials

• Limited edition packaging featuring new artwork by Candice Tripp

DETAILS:

RRP: £34.99 £27.99

Region: B/2

Rating: 15

Duration: 113 and 133 mins

Language: English

Subtitles: English SDH

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: DTS-HD 5.1

Discs: 4

Colour

Last edited:
Yeah, contact them! In the big scheme of things it IS petty, but me personally, i want these type of releases in absolute pristine condition so i would always try to get a replacement. Arrow know, and target, that their releases appeal to customers who treasure these releases ESPECIALLY the limited edition packaging, so they'll understand i am sure. I've returned stuff a few times because i figure i am spending with them, supporting their releases, regularly - the least i expect is to get a highly anticipated limited editon in undamaged condition. GO FOR IT!
Well said! Anything that arrives with any amount of damage is a real bummer. A while ago I ordered the The Long Good Friday / Mona Lisa set from Zavvi (big mistake) and it came beat up in a jiffy bag, dents everywhere, the border on the top was ripped, even the jiffy bag it came in was ripped. I contacted them explaining how it looked and after a couple of the days the best they could offer me was a 20% refund, never buying stuff like that from them again.
I've sent Arrow an e-mail yesterday asking if there's anything that can be done about it and am still awaiting a response, let's hope for the best. :coffee:

Well said! Anything that arrives with any amount of damage is a real bummer. A while ago I ordered the The Long Good Friday / Mona Lisa set from Zavvi (big mistake) and it came beat up in a jiffy bag, dents everywhere, the border on the top was ripped, even the jiffy bag it came in was ripped. I contacted them explaining how it looked and after a couple of the days the best they could offer me was a 20% refund, never buying stuff like that from them again.
I've sent Arrow an e-mail yesterday asking if there's anything that can be done about it and am still awaiting a response, let's hope for the best. :coffee:
Yeah, this sending digipaks in jiffy envelopes............HOW?? WHY?? WHO?? I don't get it! But Arrow are good when it comes to refunds or replacements, in my experience - they've always been understanding, so credit to them for sure. They usually get back to emails within 24hrs, if they don't then just drop them another email. Really annoying when this happens though.

Received my copy a few days ago from HMV. It's a really nice set with a small hardback book, postcards and a poster. The postcards are double sided with one side forming a picture of Frank when placed together.

My only complaint is regarding the disc holders (n) which consist of two small plastic levers (?) at the base of the tray. I had great difficulty removing one disc and succeeded in breaking one of the levers in the process :(. I daren't try any of the others now :ohno:. ( I have just discovered that the Stanley Kubrick Masterpiece Collection has the same type of holders :arghh:.)

Despite this, it's still a lovely set and definitely worth having.

DSCF5938.JPG DSCF5942.JPG DSCF5941.JPG

Received my copy a few days ago from HMV. It's a really nice set with a small hardback book, postcards and a poster. The postcards are double sided with one side forming a picture of Frank when placed together.

My only complaint is regarding the disc holders (n) which consist of two small plastic levers (?) at the base of the tray. I had great difficulty removing one disc and succeeded in breaking one of the levers in the process :(. I daren't try any of the others now :ohno:. ( I have just discovered that the Stanley Kubrick Masterpiece Collection has the same type of holders :arghh:.)

Despite this, it's still a lovely set and definitely worth having.

View attachment 281974 View attachment 281976 View attachment 281977
That happens with these disc holders if you not used them previously
To remove the disc you just use your thumb in the center and hold the top of the disc and push/lift the downwards

The breaking of plastic leavers happens when you try to remove from the bottom or just lift the disc out without pushing down first
They can break easily if you are not used to using them this happened to me on a few previous releases using this type of disc holder and can be easy to forget

• Helpful Post
Reactions: lenticularis
That happens with these disc holders if you not used them previously
To remove the disc you just use your thumb in the center and hold the top of the disc and push/lift the downwards

The breaking of plastic leavers happens when you try to remove from the bottom or just lift the disc out without pushing down first
They can break easily if you are not used to using them this happened to me on a few previous releases using this type of disc holder and can be easy to forget
Yes, that's exactly what I did :bag:. Thank you very much for the tip Paul, I'll remember that in future :thumbs:.

Reactions: paulboland
Received mine and it's a beautiful set, very strong set too. Love all the extras and the art. Very well made

I did the same as you @lenticularis and I had never seen these kind of disc holders before and I snapped one of the plastic levers by accident

I watched the directors cut today and I'm going to be honest I enjoyed it, maybe because I had seen the theatrical so many times but I liked all the extra scenes. There was one or two moments I thought was a bit weird like the mum jokingly saying she wants a divorce and there was something else that I've forgotten now that wasn't needed but other stuff I enjoyed. Was good to see new material after watching this for 15 years flat

One particular moment was when Cunningham is at the school and donnie see a particular moment fast forward and just says "we are moving forward in time" that cracked me up
Also

I also liked all the text about the time travel, but one moment that I had never clocked before was the actual end, when each character affected by donnie has a moment when he dies and the part where gretchin waves at his mum always got me a bit.
I always looked at it as that's what was happeing at that particular time when donnie dies for example Cunningham was crying because he's sick at himself but carries on with his sick side life etc and I always thought maybe the psychiatrist was the only one affected by the moment he dies because of the moments she had witnessed and been involved with hypnotising him and I always thought gretchin does have this weird memory and that's why she waves

So that was good to get a solid clear up that that is in fact happening, they all have memories/ dreams of the events that happened because they were affected by donnie. So Cunningham see himself get arrested, frank felt himself get shot and touches his eye and so on (frank was another that before I see the directors cut I thought maybe he had some dream of it too becuase he was very involved and affected by donnies 28 days - all because he touches the eye at the end so also good to know it is that)

Only thing I really hated about the DC was the change of echo and the bunnymen at the start and then using the weird version at the party. I like that particular INXS song but killing moon fits it much better

But yeah a fantastic package, Transfer looks great.

One thing that might sound stupid, I don't have a 4K player or tv but if I did upgrade to it will the transfer automatically change or is their an option to turn it on. Just wondered because I thought it looked great anyway and wondered what the difference is and how it all works

Received mine and it's a beautiful set, very strong set too. Love all the extras and the art. Very well made

I did the same as you @lenticularis and I had never seen these kind of disc holders before and I snapped one of the plastic levers by accident

I watched the directors cut today and I'm going to be honest I enjoyed it, maybe because I had seen the theatrical so many times but I liked all the extra scenes. There was one or two moments I thought was a bit weird like the mum jokingly saying she wants a divorce and there was something else that I've forgotten now that wasn't needed but other stuff I enjoyed. Was good to see new material after watching this for 15 years flat

One particular moment was when Cunningham is at the school and donnie see a particular moment fast forward and just says "we are moving forward in time" that cracked me up
Also

I also liked all the text about the time travel, but one moment that I had never clocked before was the actual end, when each character affected by donnie has a moment when he dies and the part where gretchin waves at his mum always got me a bit.
I always looked at it as that's what was happeing at that particular time when donnie dies for example Cunningham was crying because he's sick at himself but carries on with his sick side life etc and I always thought maybe the psychiatrist was the only one affected by the moment he dies because of the moments she had witnessed and been involved with hypnotising him and I always thought gretchin does have this weird memory and that's why she waves

So that was good to get a solid clear up that that is in fact happening, they all have memories/ dreams of the events that happened because they were affected by donnie. So Cunningham see himself get arrested, frank felt himself get shot and touches his eye and so on (frank was another that before I see the directors cut I thought maybe he had some dream of it too becuase he was very involved and affected by donnies 28 days - all because he touches the eye at the end so also good to know it is that)

Only thing I really hated about the DC was the change of echo and the bunnymen at the start and then using the weird version at the party. I like that particular INXS song but killing moon fits it much better

But yeah a fantastic package, Transfer looks great.

One thing that might sound stupid, I don't have a 4K player or tv but if I did upgrade to it will the transfer automatically change or is their an option to turn it on. Just wondered because I thought it looked great anyway and wondered what the difference is and how it all works
It's a 4K restoration scan
When you get a 4K UHD player you can upscale to 4K
The Disc itself is 1080p 24p Disc not a 4K UHD Disc

If you want true 4K picture you need to wait for a 4K UHD release

Reactions: Flloydo
It's a 4K restoration scan
When you get a 4K UHD player you can upscale to 4K
The Disc itself is 1080p 24p Disc not a 4K UHD Disc

If you want true 4K picture you need to wait for a 4K UHD release

So even though it's got 4K written on the j card it's not technically 4K? Just has the ability to upscale!

I'm not bothered about 4K at all but I wondered how it worked and hopefully I'll get a new tv in the next few months and I'm not looking to go 4K but if I get a good price on a 3D smart tv that happens to have 4K then obviously I'll get that.
Is that the same with one of the ghostbusters, isn't one of the originals 4K too (that comes in the steel?) this and those are the only
Films I have that include the apparent 4k

Reactions: paulboland
So even though it's got 4K written on the j card it's not technically 4K? Just has the ability to upscale!

I'm not bothered about 4K at all but I wondered how it worked and hopefully I'll get a new tv in the next few months and I'm not looking to go 4K but if I get a good price on a 3D smart tv that happens to have 4K then obviously I'll get that.
Is that the same with one of the ghostbusters, isn't one of the originals 4K too (that comes in the steel?) this and those are the only
Films I have that include the apparent 4k
Jcard has 4K restoration
No it means 4K restoration scan not 4K video
Film restoration scans are done in 2K or 4K and some 8K

4K UHD Discs some are not 4K restoration but upscaled to 4K UHD Video

4K UHD Video and 4K restoration is not the same thing

You will notice some difference upscaling a standard Blu-ray 1080p to 4K on a 4K UHD Player but you will need a true 4K UHD Blu-ray to see true 4K UHD Video and a 4K TV

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: lolwut and Flloydo
I wonder if Arrow and various independent Blu-ray retailers will invest in 4K BR discs. It seems far too soon to make the jump to the next format, there are still plenty of people who can't detect a difference between DVD's and Blu's so I can't see it taking off as well considering the Studio cost of restoring older films exclusively for the format. Many films on Blu-ray are ports of old masters from 10-15 years ago and to be released as 4K they will need to undergo a new restoration. I doubt people will be very happy about throwing out their 1080p Blu's in favour of a entire new back catalogue of the films they already own.

From what I make of it, 4K Blu-ray discs are an extension to the Blu-ray format so I doubt we will be replacing our old titles.

Although Blade Runner 4K...take my money!