Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date August 3rd, 2015
Purchase link: Dr. Who and the Daleks (live)
Price: £14.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

11149767-2054311201769824.jpg

11149767-7354311201785463.jpg

Last edited:
Pre Ordered
For me this is the better film of the 2 films with Peter Cushing as Dr. Who

The Dalekmania Documentary that is a extra on this Disc is very good and I recommend to view

The film was the twentieth biggest British box office moneymaker in 1965 in the UK
This film did reasonably well at the box office at the time in the UK (It did not do well in USA due to Doctor Who TV series not well known about at the time) and was the reason why the second film got made with a bigger budget but was not as good as the first film

Personally I like this version of Doctor Who more than the earlier Doctor Who TV series from that time period
For me Doctor Who television series only started to be good from the Third Doctor Jon Pertwee and Fourth Doctor Tom Baker

As a big fan of Peter Cushing this is a must purchase for me

Placed my order.

While this one wont match, I still love the look of it, and the quality of Daleks: Invasion Earth, 2150 AD was fantastic so I have high hopes for this one. If it has the same quality finish, and replicates the restoration work done on the sequel then we're in for an absolute treat.

The other previously released steelbook Dr.Who adventure was heavily listed as 2,000 and I believe is still available at the higher price of GBP 17.99.
This steelbook listed at a few quid less I would guess has a print run of 4,000.

The other previously released steelbook Dr.Who adventure was heavily listed as 2,000 and I believe is still available at the higher price of GBP 17.99.
This steelbook listed at a few quid less I would guess has a print run of 4,000.
Its hard to tell what the print run is but I doubt its 4,000
I would take a guess its also 2,000
The Steelbook for Daleks - Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D is a beautiful steelbook but is the weaker of the 2 films in my opinion and others

I can understand how they approached this lets see how the weaker film does for sales and if good then do a steelbook for the first film

Personally I think they should have done the first film first and have that one look amazing as its the better film of the 2 films or done a steelbook with both films and that would have sold out reasonably quickly with both films in a steelbook

I expect Daleks - Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D has sold well even though its not yet sold out
I can understand doing separate steelbooks but they a missed quick sold out not doing both in one steelbook
In saying that as it has not sold out and as the price has not dropped that's usually a sign its selling well at full price for now
Not every release has to sell out as a pre order although a retailer likes this to happen
As long as its getting regular orders there would be no need to drop the price until its a issue to shift stock
Usually the guideline is 3 months if you have lot of unsold stock start to reduce the price in stages to shift unsold stock

I could mention more but that would be not what the average customer would need to know about as to how to expect a release be eventually on sale at a very cheap price

I'm looking forward to getting this steelbook as I originally ordered Doctor Who - Daleks Limited Collector's Edition release with both films but cancelled my order before release date and it sold out very fast and the price now is mad

So separate steelbooks for me is brilliant as now I get to have both as a bonus as a steelbook instead

Last edited:
Of course the main differences between these two separate steelbooks @ approx. GBP 33 (without discounts) as opposed to GBP 14.99 for the limited edition 2 film set in the Amaray with the smart slipcover that I bought from Sainsbury's online is the considerable price difference and the fact that these are both in steelbooks . . .

Most people who were interested in the films initially would have bought the amaray.

We're used to odd steelbooks, but did any of us really think that the old Doctor Who movies would ever get one? I know I didn't. I wasn't holding out for steelbook releases for these, but fortunately I hadn't gotten around to buying the amaray set. If I had, I wouldn't re-buy these titles, so that would be one less sale.

Doctor Who is still a niche market in the UK, with even some of the classic series DVDs under-performing. It's a fact that B/W stories sell fewer than Tom Baker stories generally speaking, with Peter Davison outselling Colin Baker and so on. Even then, some fans only buy the stories they like regardless of the actor and don't have a complete run of any individual Doctor.

My feeling is that as usual it's the best way to shift unsold stock by putting them in collectable packaging.

We know that they put both films in a Limited Slipcover Edition two years ago and that sold out PDQ.

They can't do the same slipcover edition again because that would be just wrong so instead we get 2 rather nice steelbooks which I don't mind in the slightest.

The stand-alone Amarays were and have always been too expensive and price tracking them on Amazon UK for a couple of years don't remember if either has been below GBP 10 (although I don't know how these were priced elsewhere ?).
To my knowledge these never hit the bargain bins and the retailers have stubbornly refused to offer them at a 'reasonable' price during this two year period.
I remember thinking when they first came out how ridiculous it was that you could buy the smart limited edition slipcover edition with both films included for under GBP 15 and you had to pay almost DOUBLE that to buy both films individually - just crazy !

Anyway, ordered both steelbooks and am not sorry to have done so.