Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date August 3rd, 2015
Purchase link: Dr. Who and the Daleks (live)
Price: £14.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

11149767-2054311201769824.jpg

11149767-7354311201785463.jpg

Last edited:
Pre Ordered
For me this is the better film of the 2 films with Peter Cushing as Dr. Who

The Dalekmania Documentary that is a extra on this Disc is very good and I recommend to view

The film was the twentieth biggest British box office moneymaker in 1965 in the UK
This film did reasonably well at the box office at the time in the UK (It did not do well in USA due to Doctor Who TV series not well known about at the time) and was the reason why the second film got made with a bigger budget but was not as good as the first film

Personally I like this version of Doctor Who more than the earlier Doctor Who TV series from that time period
For me Doctor Who television series only started to be good from the Third Doctor Jon Pertwee and Fourth Doctor Tom Baker

As a big fan of Peter Cushing this is a must purchase for me

As a big fan of Peter Cushing, as I am too, you should watch him in 'Corruption/Carnage' (1968) U.S. Region Free Blu-ray import as it is a very untypical bit of acting despite the echoes of Frankenstein - probably a bit more along the lines of another shocker 'Eyes Without a Face' (1960).
The price is not great at the moment and I'd wait for around the GBP 12 level including P&P which is what I paid for it at the beginning of July. I only mention it because I've never seen it on British TV and it has not been released on Blu-ray here or even on DVD as far as I can make out.

Reactions: paulboland
Looks great but the disc art is way out place with the design of the steelbook. Not a deal killer but it hurts the complete package.

I'm also a bit disappointed that it is just light blue and not the gnarly but cool sea-foam green that was in the original art we were given.

Looks great but the disc art is way out place with the design of the steelbook. Not a deal killer but it hurts the complete package.

I'm also a bit disappointed that it is just light blue and not the gnarly but cool sea-foam green that was in the original art we were given.
The disc art is just the same as the original blu-ray release (same was true of the Daleks' Invasion Earth steelbook).

It's not light blue, though - I think that's just an unfortunate effect of the lighting when taking photos. Neither is it the light shade of "cool sea-foam green" in the original mock up, either - it does look a bit like that in hand, only darker. I think 'sea green' is not a bad description overall. Not sure what the 'official' name of the colour is (it's bound to have one).

It's certainly very glossy, though - and a bit of a fingerprint magnet!!

The disc art is just the same as the original blu-ray release (same was true of the Daleks' Invasion Earth steelbook).

It's not light blue, though - I think that's just an unfortunate effect of the lighting when taking photos. Neither is it the light shade of "cool sea-foam green" in the original mock up, either - it does look a bit like that in hand, only darker. I think 'sea green' is not a bad description overall. Not sure what the 'official' name of the colour is (it's bound to have one).

It's certainly very glossy, though - and a bit of a fingerprint magnet!!
It's more like this (closest match I could find on my monitor on a quick search of "sea green"):

color-sea-green.jpg

Reactions: Geek Tragedy
Let's just say that the colour of the mock up bears little relation to the colour of the in hand steelbook which is a gorgeous, rich, shade of green without any hint of blue.
The closest shade of green I can find to it is BOTTLE GREEN.
The j-card is less green and more bluey green and I'd agree with @Doctor that SEA GREEN is a good a match as any to describe it.
Regarding the front art which is just the original poster with coloured film scenes instead of the black-and-white of the poster - these scenes, and the Dalek in the middle, are all nicely executed in vibrant metallic paint colours that really catch the light and turns what could have been a very ordinary release into something a bit less ordinary.
No 'bossing - a bit basic maybe.
6/10

Last edited:
Yes - I think your photos have managed to capture the actual colour more accurately, but still look a bit brighter than it actually is in hand. Better effort than mine, though...

Reactions: paulboland